Stag-15 Model 2 Pre-Ban

Caliber...5.56 Nato Chamber
Upper.....Forged and Mil Spec.
Sights.....MI ERS Rear Flip/Front Post
Barrel.....16" Chrome Lined 1/9 Twist
Selector...Standard
Magazine...30 Round**
Stock......6 Position Collapsible

This will be my first AR. Do you guys think it's a good choice? Only first thing I wanted to do was add a red dot sight, and get some mags.

Please, some input?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think you made a really good choice. If I were you, I would wait on the red dot and learn to shoot it with irons first. Shoot the hell out of it with irons and research all of your optic choices.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you made a really good choice. If I were you, I would wait on the red dot and learn to shoot it with irons first. Shoot the hell out of it with irons and research all of your optic choices.

+1

You'll have more money in your optics than you have in your rifle.

Shoot it with irons for a couple thousand rounds, THEN, get some good glass

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know that he needs to spend more money on his optics than he did his rifle (if that's what you are suggesting), especially if it is mainly for plinking. There are a lot of good optics that can be bought for well under $400.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I will for sure spend a lot of time and ammo shooting with the iron sights first. Eventually some day I'm going to get the parts and convert it to 9mm to shoot steel at my local club. Other than that, it's a plinker and hopefully a coyote killer. Oh, and obviously a zombie killer!

Would you guys suggest magpul mags?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My first AR is a Stag and I love it! I did build mine from the bottom up instead of purchasing a complete AR. I wanted to know the internal workings of it and plus it was a fun and educational project!

I did get an Aimpoint for it the same time I finished building it. But I didn't mount it on until I shot it for a couple weeks with the iron sights I had purchased for it. I think it's good advice to learn how to shoot your rifle using the iron sights, but no need in waiting thousands of rounds just to buy a red dot.

If you have friends that have red dots, try those out. If not, go to a gun range that rents and see if their rentals have red dots. While you are narrowing it down on which optics to buy, learn your iron sights! That way if you ever come across a situation (hopefully you don't) where your red dot is in operable and have to depend on your iron sights, you'll at least know how your gun works.

That's just my opinion...My AR is more for paper shooting and having fun with it, than for personal defense. It's hard for me to justify my AR as my PDW, since my XD is so easy to carry around every day, and fits perfectly in my night stand drawer. IF ever comes a time where my AR is my only weapon to use for personal defense, I feel confident enough to know that I can use it with or without an optic because I know my iron sights are there.

BTW, I don't have my aimpoint anymore and upgraded to an 4x32 ACOG (TA31). I was going to go with the 3x magnifier, for my aimpoint, but after shooting my brother-in law's AR w/ an ACOG and looking at the cost of the total package of the aimpoint w/ the magnifier, I decided to sell the Aimpoint and put those funds towards the ACOG. So far, after shooting around 300 rounds through it, I don't regret it! Now, I'm just waiting for my red dot to mount on top of my ACOG for those targets that are closer (it probably would've been more fun building another AR thats set up for close quarter shooting, but there's already another project on the way) :) .

Ultimately, what I'm trying to get at is, try things out before you buy. You will save yourself some $ by doing that! Some people are perfectly happy with nothing but the iron sights, and some (for the most part most enthusiasts, including me) want the red dots for the cool factor!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
P-MAGs seem to be a popular choice.

I still use the (cheaper and just as reliable) GI mags with good followers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dont bother with that particular scope. it is plagued with parallax issues, not to mention doesnt sit at the correct height for flat top mounting.
But if that is what someone wants then that is fine. I have a friend who has one and he has shot several coyotes and a bobcat at between 50-175 yards with no problems. I have shot with it and it hits where the red dot is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If that scope is truly what one wants, then it is fine.

But it's also akin to mounting recap tires on a Porsche... they'll work but not to the full capablilty of the machine they're installed on ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stags are good ARs. I'm going to be picking up 3 more this winter. A plain Model 1 to replace the one I sold, a Model 2 with quad rails to make tacticool and a Varminter.For plinking and CQBs you don't need expensive optics. That rule normally applies to hunting, sniping and target rifles, long distances etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If that scope is truly what one wants, then it is fine.

But it's also akin to mounting recap tires on a Porsche... they'll work but not to the full capablilty of the machine they're installed on ;)
But if you're just driving that Porsche to car shows on fine weather weekends, does it matter?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Uh oh, here comes an optics pissing match. :D
Sweet!

Dont dick around, Get an aimpoint or an Eotech. Or at least the Bushnell version of the Eotech. No one said you had to buy new either.

:razz:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i really like my stag. stock up on mags, got my c products from 44mag.com. good price and free shipping on orders over 100 bucks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Added a handle and mount. If batteries go bad I still have the iron sights under the mount.
DPMS lower and a RRA upper.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought the same rifle about 8 months ago and am very happy with it. Congratulations....it's a lot of fun to shoot !

I bought Magpul mags....also very good. Get plenty while you can....you can find them online for around $14.

I bought a very inexpensive 1x red dot sight at Midway just to see how I like them. Paid less than $50. It works just fine and is a good way to goof around with one until you decide to spend bigger bucks. Then I would get and EOTech or Aimpoint. Seems like for what you and I want to do, however, it's hard to justify that kind of money.

Also, I have put nothing but "cheap" wolf ammo thru mine....it eats it up just fine. You just have to clean it a little more.

Have fun !!!!!

jd

1 - 20 of 33 Posts