AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few years ago while reading a thread on LightFighter I ran across an idea in the "Roll Your Own" section. It basically comes down to this..

You take the extra stuff (crap or not) you have laying around put it in a box, list an inventory in the Karma thread and then ship it off to the next person in line. You take only what you need and damn well better add something.

This relies on our honesty and good nature and being the screaming ass hole that I am, I'm willing to start. I've already spoken with a couple guys that are regulars in our little part of XDtalk and their game as well.

Here are the rules that I pilfered from LightFighter.. I'm still debating whether or not there should be a site membership requirement, more and more I think you should just have to be an active participant in the forum.

Rules are as follows:

1. Once received, you will take what you need...no more, no less.

2. You will add something of your own to the box before re-shipping.

3. When you are done, you are responsible for advertising the next ship out.

4. There will be no $ changing hands for materials, just shipping which is to be incurred by the individual accepting the box.

5. Before you ship, provide a brief inventory of what is left and what you added.

6. In order to be eligible to receive the box, you have to be willing to re-ship the box when you are done.

7. In order to participate, you have to be a contributing member to (previously noted as LF.NET)XDTALK.COM at a very minimum. I would prefer you be a (previously contributing member of the RYO) a paying member of XDTALK.COM, but I won't limit it. Please, productive members only. If you are a new posting member with less than 100 post(probbie without an intro post or a ****ed up profile), forget about it.

8. This thread is not intended to be a request medium. It is a first come; first serve thread. No crying or whining if you didn't chime in quick enough once announced.

So what I want to know is... how many more of you guys are willing to or are interested in participating? What does everyone think about the rules? Should we constrain the box to just AR stuff or open it up to everything gun related?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd like to participate, but alas, I have ZERO AR stuff to contribute, since I'm just getting into it. I love the idea of an AR box though, because anything outside an AR box (all handguns, etc), then people may not find things of use. I'd be willing to run out and buy some little goodies though if need be!

Basically, I'm showing interest, but would like to see the consensus first. Good idea, Badshot.

Edit: D'Oh, missed the "Contributing Member" mention! NM then, lol. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of crap are you talking about? Unused scopes, mags, bits of gunsmithing stuff, brass, etc? Or is some other donation to the box required?

It sounds really interesting... I'd probably be up for it. We can always start and see how it goes.

joe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well im pleased to say i just made a donation to xdtalk. ive been meening to do it and finally got around to it today

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Edit: D'Oh, missed the "Contributing Member" mention! NM then, lol. ;)
The contributing member in my mind would be more like a participating member; maybe something like a min 100 posts?.. you don't necessarily have to be a paid site member (though that would be preferred and might be a good idea to add to the box)

And yeah I agree you have to be in good standing with the community.

As for what to put in... well that's up to you. me I've got a bunch of stuff I'll never use again, springs, Delta Rings, scope rings .. blah blah blah.. Hell might even throw a mag in there as well. But lets give this a day and see what the rest of the folks think.

By the way I'm not going to manage this crap.. just get it started. I don't have enough time to baby sit or settle differences. This is Karma..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like a great idea! I'm in.

As folks upgrade their guns, AR's in particular a box of spare parts is easily accumulated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool, yeah I probably should go make a donation anyhoo! Can it be for any dollar amount? Or is there a minimum? Guess I'll go take a peek in the meantime, lol...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hell annual membership is only $35 .. the more we can get guys out of this section of the site to member up the more value the admin's will see in keeping this section running

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just went to PayPal to make my $20 donation...couldn't remember my PP Id to sign in, so just did the Non-PP member route. Had a couple "Oopsies" and now I don't know if my donation went through, OR if I accidentally donated double the amount, lol. PM'd Kermee to see...anyway, FWIW, just letting you guys know I'm in the process of contributing. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got some stuff here in my closet to contribute. I am not a paying member, but do I still qualify for this? I like the idea.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've got some stuff here in my closet to contribute. I am not a paying member, but do I still qualify for this? I like the idea.

Hmmm.. the short answer is yes you qualify ;).

The long answer is... apparently I need to clarify what I mean by contributing member.

Here is my mini-list of requirements to play along in the Karma "Box-O-Crap" plan:

1. Be an active forum member
2. Have more than 100 posts
3. Don't have negative feedback for a bad sale or such

A PAID MEMBERSHIP TO XDTALK IS NOT A REQUIREMENT NOR IS DONATIONS TO THE SITE.

I will continue to encourage our crowd to sign up for a site membership or if the $35 is too much at once, donate or what ever. No requirement that you be a full paying member or donate... it's just a good idea. We all get a ton of value out of the site and the site doesn't run itself for free.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's cool KingAirDriver.. I'm glad you did that.. I just don't want you to think I was making that a requirement for participation in this little Karma idea.
Oh, no no, not at all...I didn't take it that way, but thx for checking! It's something I should've done a long time ago. Reminds me, I need to contribute to our KS CCW forum, too. I'd been mooching too long, lol. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sign me up, I got a few things to add to the box. sounds like a bit of fun. I got some Spare parts around.

Is it limited to AR parts?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is it limited to AR parts?
I'm up in the air about restricting it to just AR parts.. might be a good idea to just start out that way and see how it goes and maybe grow it from there. Hell maybe everyone else can start to play along too, but I'm open to anything here.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts