AR15 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I hate to say it but I'm lost when it comes to the AR. I've shot 1 AR in my life, and I never really got into them.

To give you an idea: I'm not sure what the upper/lower actually are. I mean, yeah I guess the upper is the barrel area and back a little. Then the lower, I think that's the trigger area. LOL

Yeah, that's how bad it is :)

So anyways, I want to learn about AR-15's and what parts/brands make or break them.

Sometime in the near future, I am hoping to build one. I was looking at doing a .308 build.

Does anyone have any AR-15 resources or guides?!

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I'm just curious - if I build it myself, can I order ALL of the parts online? Not like it really matters, but in my area... I don't really *like* dealing with the local gunshops. They're OK, just not very nice.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
You can get the "kit" shipped to you but the lower receiver has to be shipped to a FFL. Some good sites to look at kits are http://jtdistributing.com/ and del-ton.com I have heard nothing but positive things about these two companies. There is also Model1sales.com but their reviews are back and forth some people have had great reviews and some have had a pretty bad time with them. I have only bought JT kits and I really like them, they even give you extra springs and detents for the ones you will launch across the room:D.

For the lower the cheapest place I have seen online is essential arms their lowers run about $70. But once you pay shipping and a transfer fee it will be about $100. You can find lowers at most gun shows for about that price and you dont have to wait and you can see and inspect the lower before you buy it. I own essential arms lowers and I think they are great. Their logo is real plain and blends in.

If you have any questions just PM me, You will spend alot of time researching and trying to figure out excatly what you want.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
My best suggestion is to just run a search here. There are several folks who've gone ahead and built theirs based on threads here alone. They'll also reference manufacturer choices and value in addition to linking to some of the online build guides.

Give that a try and if you still have questions, I'm sure any one (if not a bunch) of us will answer them to your satisfaction. Just give the search a whirl first please.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Also, check out www.ar15.com! I can't believe that site hasn't been mentioned yet. There is so much AR information on that site that when you go to bed you're curl up under the covers and cry.

Check out the "Build it yourself" section if you're going to build your own. There are several threads with step-by-step pictures of the assembly process.

I built my own rifle from a kit that I got from www.ar15sales.com. I ordered a Stag Rifle kit, and then ordered a stripped Stag lower receiver elsewhere. Using instructions from that website and another website, it went together in about an hour. And I was like you, I knew very little about the AR, only that I HAD to have one, lol.

Like the others have suggested, search here, and check out those websites, and then come back to us when/if you have more questions. I don't know nearly as much as those other guys though!

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Lower

Lower parts kit:

Complete lower with LPK installed, buffer tube (holds the buffer and the buffer spring and the stock goes around it) castle nut (tightens the buffer tube to the lower receiver) and pistol grip.

Upper receiver:

Upper receiver holds the bolt, bolt carrier, barrel, front sight, rear sight, etc.

Any other questions, just ask.

Hardwarz

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I personally find it easier to navigate and search:
http://www.m4carbine.net/forum.php

Otherwise ARFCOM is a great site, not so much to search, unless you paid for membership to access the archived sections. If you want to search AR15.com for anything specific I would highly recommend you use the advanced search function in goggle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts