AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!!

I am right handed, but I shoot with my left eye. I am having problems getting my left eye on the iron sights. Do I need to learn to shoot left handed or try to learn to shoot with my right eye. I can not hold my right open by itself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Help!!

I am right handed, but I shoot with my left eye. I am having problems getting my left eye on the iron sights. Do I need to learn to shoot left handed or try to learn to shoot with my right eye. I can not hold my right open by itself.
My aunt is the same way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you can shoot lefty or look really funny shooting righty...

...or you could bore your left eye out with a drill. That will force you to use your right eye

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, okay, okay....dude...here's what you do. I saw this in a movie so I KNOW it works. You have to get a little periscope and tape it to your head using your right eye, and then you have to put a pair of women's RED (must be red or it won't work and it will look silly) panties...oh yeah, lacy red panties, on your head so that it covers the other eye. Then you drive a Jeep around an Army Air base with Tommy Lee Jones in the right seat until you've solved your eye dominancy problem. OMG I love Hollywood. :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Firebirds. Good movie.

As for question. No idea. Sorry bro. Could try to retrain your eyes I guess. Using a patch when you shot or trying to keep your left eye shut. Might work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
+1 for the patch idea. if you can't shoot lefty period, you have to train yourself on your right eye, by covering your left.

or use Cjive's idea about the drill. or the panties.

you know what just shoot with both closed, there are blind ppl with CCW permits ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When shooting a rifle just use the eye on the side you hold the gun, eye dominance doesnt matter. Hold with left, use left eye, hold with right use right eye. Thats all there is to it. I'm cross eye dominant and this is the only way to shoot. When using a rifle you only use one eye so your sights are lined up just fine as long as you do it the way I just described.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have to shoot rifles with my left hand (I'm normally right handed) because I've got REALLY bad vision in my right eye, but my left is still pretty good...it really screws with my depth perception sometimes, but luckily I can shoot pistols just fine (except for my flinching, which has nothing to do with my jacked up eyes:???:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Webeth, I am right handed but almost blind in my right eye. I had to learn to shoot may bow, rifle, and shotgun left handed. I still shoot all my pistols right handed. You can't shoot a long gun right handed with your left eye unless you like the kick in the face that you are going to get. It's not that hard to get used to, you just have to work at it. Good luck with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im right handed but left eye dominate. When I first started shooting my bb gun I shot left handed. One day my grandpa saw me shooting left handed and made me start shooting right handed.

Now I shoot rifles right handed and just close my left eye. where it hurts is when your shooting shotgun or when doing drills that requires 2 eyes open...t...hen you got to switch to left hand.

for pistols I shoot left eye but right handed. I just tilt my head a little to the left. it allows you to shoot with both eyes open and be reasonable accurate.......its screwed up for sure but seems to work:rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am right handed left eye dominant which is a pain in the ass. I shoot rifles that are not scoped left handed, unless it is my ak or sks, I shoot shotguns right handed and scoped rifles right handed. So rifles with iron sights I shoot left handed and pistols I shoot right handed. It is a very bizzare juggling act, but I can now shoot equally well either way. Now since I shoot pistols right handed only, I shoot with both eyes open and just line up the sights with my left eye. It took some practice, but it works for me. I tried my hardest to train my right eye, but my left eye is much much more dominant.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I too am right handed but left eye dominant. I shoot pistols right handed and am working on shooting just as well with either eye. I have to shoot rifles right handed because of previous surgeries on my left shoulder.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Like many others here, I am right handed and have extremely poor vision in my right eye. Using my right eye to shoot anything is not an option. This, at least for me, is not a problem. I don't have a DI busting my chops for "doing it wrong" and I am not going for style points, so I do what works for me. You work with what you have and do what is best for you.

I shoot pistols right-handed and all long guns left-handed. For pistols, I turn/tilt my head to bring my left eye into line. For long guns - it is left handed only.

The only concession I have made is that I did buy a left-handed Stag AR. That was simply to throw the brass and gas in the "right" direction for me as a matter of convenience. I have no problems shooting a "regular" AR, shotgun, or anything else I have in my safe or have ever put my hand on.

You adapt to what God gave you and make it work for you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like many others here, I am right handed and have extremely poor vision in my right eye. Using my right eye to shoot anything is not an option. This, at least for me, is not a problem. I don't have a DI busting my chops for "doing it wrong" and I am not going for style points, so I do what works for me. You work with what you have and do what is best for you.

I shoot pistols right-handed and all long guns left-handed. For pistols, I turn/tilt my head to bring my left eye into line. For long guns - it is left handed only.

The only concession I have made is that I did buy a left-handed Stag AR. That was simply to throw the brass and gas in the "right" direction for me as a matter of convenience. I have no problems shooting a "regular" AR, shotgun, or anything else I have in my safe or have ever put my hand on.

You adapt to what God gave you and make it work for you.
I do the same thing, the only time I get a little messed up is going from shooting a pistol with the head tilt to my ak or sks since I still shoot those right handed. I will be holding the ak right handed and trying to line the sights up with my left eye until I realize I cant see the sights and I have to switch eyes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I shoot my AR with a scope mounted on the carry handle. I can hang my head a little over the stock and see through the scope with my left eye, which is far superior to my right eye. I just tilt my head a little when shooting handguns, so that the dominant left eye is acquiring the sight pic.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yes if shooting rifles. It is not uncommon for people to be unable to individually close their dominant eye. If someone who is strongly left eye dominant tries to sight with regular sights using their right eye, they pretty much wont even see the sights. They might be able to see the rear sight, but they will see the front site with their left eye and cross sight their weapon. Mentally seperating the two images takes a great deal of concentration. If they can close either eyes at will then its not a big issue.

With a scope however, a lot of times a left eye dominant person can shoot right handed because the two images will be so vastly different that they are easy to mentally seperate.

Secondly, if your right eye is dominant you are better using both eyes than one. Not such a big deal shooting holes in paper but two eyes is vastly superior for rapid target finding.
Not if shooting a rifle, use the whole quote. If it does, tell me why.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts