AR15 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at lights for my new AR and would like to keep it below $300. I have a SureFire L4 and love it, but would rather (I think) keep it as a standalone.

This is what I will need. Either a kit, or these parts:
1) Light
2) Mount
3) Tape switch

I was looking into the 9P with 200 lumen bulb which is around $70. The mount is another $40. The tape switch was $120!! That is ridiculous when the tape switch for the for the L4 is $80.

SOOOO....what is a more economic but good light setup?

I was recently looking at the PentagonLights MS3R Xenon, which looks amazing for $245. I like the Xenon better for this purpose because of the lower output of LEDs, cost, and this is only for self defense so lamp time is not as important. This is open to discussion, though.

Any one have experience with the Pentagon's? Surefire 9P would be OK if it wasn't for the damn cost of the tape switch!

Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Take at look at the G2 and the G2L. Two low cost lights that you can mount on a rail with a cheap and simple adapter. They also make grip switches for them. You just replace the stock tail cap with the grip switch tail cap.

Myself I just throw my Glock light on the 45 degree rail and call it a day.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take at look at the G2 and the G2L. Two low cost lights that you can mount on a rail with a cheap and simple adapter. They also make grip switches for them. You just replace the stock tail cap with the grip switch tail cap.

Myself I just throw my Glock light on the 45 degree rail and call it a day.
I would rather a 3-battery system because I can deal with the length on a 12" rail, such as the G3 or 9P.

The G3 vs. 9P costs are only 20 dollars. They both rely on the XM06 (6") tape switch which is $120. That's what the problem is. The UE07 tape switch for the L4 is $95.

The pentagon is an all in one light with tape switch for $220, which is right around the same price of the 9P + UE07 + M79.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should be able to find a generic tape switch from gun broker or something. It won't be "branded" with the surefire name though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got the Pentagon L2 w/tapeswitch on my AR. I ordered a package deal from Calvin at Bright Flashlights - Personal Carry Lights, Tactical Lights, Weapons Lights and AR15 Parts, Sights & Accessories - Surefire, PentagonLight, Insight Technology, EOTech, Aimpoint, Laser Devices and it came with a bunch of extra batteries for free. I want to say I paid around $130 or so for the light, tapeswitch, and mount...and shipping too, I think that might have been included. Anyway, that sucker's bright! BTW, Calvin is HIGHLY recommended on AR15.com. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Watch eBay for a used SF M961 series, got mine for less than 200 including the tapeswitch ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Watch eBay for a used SF M961 series, got mine for less than 200 including the tapeswitch ;)
That's a snag! I really like the M961! It's actually the same as building with a 9P light + XM07 switch + M78 mount (or LaRue, if you spend the extra $$$), which can be had for around $200 as well (more with LaRue).

I'm staying away from the G&P airsoft stuff.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, I was thinking about it. I should only get a 2-battery design since my foregrip will only hold 2 (my MIAD will hold 2-AA's for the EOTech). That way, if I ran out of batteries I will have a full fresh set.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
honest to god, i have a sure fire 6p and it is bright enough for anything with the p60(stock) bulb in it. the g2 is the same flashligh with poly instead of aluminum. for $35 you cant go wrong. then i got this bad boy... https://www.commandarms.com/product.asp?pID=225&cID=12
they say $65 but i got it for $45 at a gun show. it is awesome, even has storage for the cr123 batteries that the surefire uses. thumb activated momentary or steady, safety switch, comes another pic rail for your laser or whatever. love it

edit: also the 6p and g2 both use the p60 bulb with pushes 80lumes with fresh batteries and run time is like 2 hours i think, the p61 which is the high powered bulb throws 120lumes or so on fresh bats, but you only will get about 20 minutes out of that. 6p and g2 both use 2 bats and thats exactly what the caa grip holds. ive dropped my 6p dozens of times fumbling with it in training scenarios and have always picked it up and kept going. i have 2 6p's one for my ar and one that rides on my duty belt. ive never had to put a new bulb in either of them and i got my first one about 4 years ago. i recently got the surefire E1L. it is awesome, the 25lumes that the led pushes are more intense than the 80 that the 6p incandescent pushes. i get like 4 hours out of one battery and it is virtually indestructible. led's don't break and carry about 100,000 hour life and only draw about 20mA of power, making batteries last A LOT longer. sure fire makes a wonderful product... wish they would pay me to say that

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I scored a SureFire Scout 600A, so I'm happy. It has the same head (I think) as my L4, so that's cool that they are interchangeable. I think I would rather a Xenon bulb for throw-distance, but the life span of LED is longer per batteries, so for SHTF, that's a good thing. I may get the LaRue mount, but I will wait to see just how bad the SureFire thumb screws are.

Any one have any experience with SureFire's thumb screws?

Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts