AR15 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I need help yet again,, so thanks in advanced. I am new to the ar 15 and just got some rounds,, got home and could not hold my self back, from chambering a round ( not a good thing to do in the house I know ) so after doing so I checked the bullet and i see a light dent from the firing pin is this normal or not any input ---- This scares the s-*^* out of me......:confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The firing pin in an AR doesn't have anything to stop it moving forward under recoil however the mass of the firing pin and the timing of the bolt and carrier keep the dreaded slam-fire from happening.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the AR has a floating firing pin, like most shotguns. it CAN fire if dropped just the right way, allowing the firing pin to come forward hard enough. It does take a pretty darn good hit on a primer to ignite it. Chances are the small dimple you see on the primer got there from the movement of the firing pin as the bolt came forward and stopped. I doubt it was hard enough to be able to fire it though.

But honestly, you're best off not loading it in the house unless you intend to use it. I keep my AR with a full mag inserted, and my shotgun with the magazine loaded. But I don't keep either with one in the chamber. I know people who have dropped shotguns while hunting, safety on, one in the chamber and the gun went off.. thankfully pointed away from them and others. It has to hit just right for it to jolt the firing pin forward hard enough, but it is possible.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had heard of a slam fire but never knew what it actually was caused by.

I never chamber a live round iside my house but this is something good to know in the future.

I do know that the ARs get hot and the rounds get very hot if you chamber one and let it sit after you have blasted through a few full mags.

I'm not sure how hot it needs to be to cook off but still good to know none the less.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slamfires are more common with the M1 series. I have never had an issue with a slamfire from an AR, I am not saying it cant happen, just never happened to me or anyone else that I heard of in the military.

All the prior service grunts will remember that you use your buttstock of your weapon to break your fall from a full sprint as you dive to the deck during IMTs. Thus an AR slamfiring from a fall...I can't see that, however a jolt to the buttstock with the bolt charged back, will result in the bolt carrying group to go forward.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A slight dent on primer from chambering a cartridge in an AR-15/M16 are normal. They all do this and it never leads to slam fires assuming everything is working right.

mcb

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reminds me when I first took my Mauser out to the range, I was too dumb to clean the bolt first. It was full of cosmolin inside that the firing pin won't go forward fully. As a result I pulled the trigger and the bullet won't even discharge; I cycled through several rounds and none discharged. But every round of them has a dent on the primer created by the firing pin. Interesting to realize how much it takes to make the primer go off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts