AR15 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about putting together a new AR from mostly-assembled parts. Wouldn't mind either going either then ar10 route or trying out the 6.5G approach. I'm not very familiar with the features or what's available for these platforms, so would certainly appreciate any direction or parts I should consider purchasing. It'd be mainly for range use, but I'd like to have some decent quality/build (doesn't have to be top tier, either, just nice & reliable mid-tier). I have a ton of questions regarding this topic, but would like to start w/ the basics... :) What kind of target pricing would I be looking at w/ these different paths?

If I go the ar10 route, I'd like to get a full-length rail, but have read that .308 uppers have different attachment point than 5.56 uppers, is this correct?

If I go the 6.5G route, could I use any 5.56 upper like the VIS with the 6.5 barrel/bcg, or would I need a 6.5-specific upper? 5.56 mags can be used/converted or need dedicated 6.5G mags? And would the lower be a 5.56 std lower? I'm really diggin that Magpul lower... :D

Also, are reliable gas piston systems available for either of these cals?

Thanks in advance, guys! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If I go the 6.5G route, could I use any 5.56 upper like the VIS with the 6.5 barrel/bcg, or would I need a 6.5-specific upper? 5.56 mags can be used/converted or need dedicated 6.5G mags? And would the lower be a 5.56 std lower? I'm really diggin that Magpul lower... :)
The 6.5 Grendel would use all/any of the standard .223/5.56 parts. Lower, upper, etc, etc. The only differences would be the magazines, barrel, and the bolt itself (5.56 BCGs work fine).

Alexander Arms has some nice barrel/bolt combos made for them by Sabre Defence (I bought the 18" option). CProducts seems to be the magazine of choice for 6.5 Grendel builds (I have four 20 rounders that work fine).

One of these days I'll get around to doing a write-up on my build and post some pictures. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will second what Hooz said concerning the 6.5 Grendel.

I would like the clarify. When you say AR-10 do you actually mean an Armalite, or one of the other .308 AR rifles out there? That is important since they are different.

To build up an Armalite, you will need to get a lower from Eagle Arms (division of Armalite), and then go from there. Cost is $1000 or so on up depending on what you want. I don't have one with rails, so I can't comment there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like the clarify. When you say AR-10 do you actually mean an Armalite, or one of the other .308 AR rifles out there? That is important since they are different.
Not the actual Armalite... I was referring a generic AR in .308 trim.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lot of people make that assumption, so you are not the first which is why I wanted to clarify.

Basically for .308 AR's to build, you have Eagle Arms, and you have DPMS. Armalite only sells complete rifles. Some of the parts interchange, but not a lot. Lowers and Uppers are NOT. I have zero idea about getting stripped DPMS .308 lowers, or anything less than a full rifle. Mags are NOT. The DPMS uses SR-25 mags, and the Armalite uses a version of the M1A magazine.

As for .308 piston stuff, it is called an FAL. I can't think of any .308 piston AR uppers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been looking at the 6.5 Gren as well, I really want the Les Bear super varmint but at about $2300.00 I'll be saving till the next election.
POF makes a piston rifle in 5.56 and .308
look here http://www.pof-usa.com/ they are not cheap but all high quality from what I have seen.

Check with Guns and Ammo magazine "Book of the AR-15", has lots of reviews of every caliber and best ammo for each rifle.
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/long_guns/patriot425_061807/
Come on Lottery !!! drool

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As for .308 piston stuff, it is called an FAL. I can't think of any .308 piston AR uppers.
There are some. Most well-known, and currently available, are the POF .308 uppers and rifles. Another company that is producing these is LWRC, though I believe their .308 just came out and it may not be available for public sale for a few weeks yet. Finally, H&K has the 417 rifles in .308, though these too are not yet for sale to the public.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From the posts it looks a lot like you're going to spend around a 1000.00 so why not just get a new one?? My AR10B cost me 900.00 NIB along with the 10 and 20 round mags. Once I got it broken in and used to the charging "trigger" it shoots perfectly, even when I bumb fire.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LWRC .308: For a piston type AR-10 .308 LWRC seems to be the Cadillac of this class. Claim is sub-moa which is hard for me to believe for a piston type weapon. Should be available shortly, price will probably about $3000. This rifle is getting a lot of press. You can read about it here:
http://shop.lwrifles.com/product.sc?categoryId=2&productId=208

AR-10T ( .308 or .338 )Retail price is $2300 for the .338 and $2100 for the .308. I already have a 16" AR10C and could not be more happy with it. I run an Eotech on it and it is very accurate out to 300 yards. For a semi auto weapon, nothing is more accurate than a DI AR weapon. I currently have my eye on the AR10T in chambered in .338 Federal with a Stainless 20" barrel. This would be my choice. If I get it I'll probably add a custom brake on it along with some nice free float quadrails and a PRS buttstock.

Noveske .308: Retail Price is $3300. This one is pricey but it's a Noveske so it must be good. Beautiful gun.

AR-10 SASS .308: This one retails for $3000 but seems to come with a lot of goodies such as a 2 stage match trigger, SS match barrel, adjustable gas system, and a threaded FH so you can use the suppressor of your choice.

DPMS .308: These are a bargain for around $1000 and I have heard nothing but good things about them. If you want to add the goodies to this rifle like the rifles above, such as match trigger, quad rails, and envogue butt stock, will bring the price up to about $2000, still will be a lot less than the other rifles. The one below is called the DPMS SASS and retails for about $2000

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 10B is not even close to the ones you pictured. It's one of those 50 annv. Armalite Pegsus versions.
I made a couple of modifications, the night front/rear sights because it's hard to see the front sight at night,(you can't mount a scope on the rail, it's about 3' too high). I also milled my own adapter for the Harris bipod I use because the lower forearm is too weak to carry the recoil for the .308. It has the heavier match barrel so I spent some really cold friggin days breaking it in: fire/clean, fire/clean for a hundred rounds. But it is accurate and at 300yds it's giving me some nice 3~4" patterns. At least I'm satisfied with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have also heard great things about the DPMS rifles, and I was about to mention that for the money I would think they are the best bargain. I know LOTS of people that have claimed to shoot sub moa groups with their DPMS in .308.

I'm curious, why are so many of you guys so set on this 6.5 Grendel? There are a few varmint and light animal uses that I think it might work well on, but other than that, why? With the heavier bullets, it still has a slower muzzle velocity than the .308 with some of the 150 and 168 grain bullets. If you like to shoot the lighter bullets, the .243 will shoot some of the heavier bullets (not quite as heavy), faster, so you still have less wind drift. It just seems like brass, ammunition, etc would be harder to come by for the 6.5, and it's not like it's a real hotrod or something. I'm not trying to have bad manners on the forum, but I already typed up a little bit in more detail about this issue at another forum I'm a member of. Some of you should actually look at the data and don't believe all the hype. Here's the link, my posts are under the same screen name and one at the top and one towards the bottom. http://www.pafoa.org/forum/rifles-42/16330-lr-260h-over-lr-308-a-page-2.html . The discussion was about the .260 or 6.5 grendel over the .308. Hope this helps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you reload and only shoot at paper targets, I'd go with the 6.5 Grendel. But thats about it. Terminal ballistics arent nearly as good as the .308, and the factory ammo selection, quite frankly, sucks (not to mention is pretty expensive).

Most people will build a dedicated rifle for the caliber, so the parts interchangeability is kind of a moot point (with the exception that AR10 parts will be a bit more expensive than AR15 parts).

Build/buy a gun for what you're going to use it for, not because its this week's "greatest thing since sliced bread."

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was going to mention the varmint rifle but didn't want to change the thread. However. Mine is a CZ 527 7.62x39mm carbine and is it ever accurate, at least up to 300yds. Beyond that I can't see the stupid things anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts