AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of entertaining the thought of getting a low magnification scope after shooting man sized targets at 125-150 yards today. While I hit them my "groups" :rolleyes: were minute of barn! Actually, I did better than I thought getting all rounds inside a 12x14 inch area with a EoTech. But my eyes are letting me know that if I want to shoot that far and be relatively decent they need help.

So as I mentioned I have an EoTech on my AR which IMHO can't be beat for 50 yards and in. I like the looks of that Bushnell Trophy but since it doesn't magnify it's not what I am after.

Basically I would like a scope that is perhaps 4x with about a 32mm objective, relatively compact, not super expensive (ACOG) but not a el cheapo either.

Any ideas or am I asking too much ;) ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Kind of entertaining the thought of getting a low magnification scope after shooting man sized targets at 125-150 yards today. While I hit them my "groups" :rolleyes: were minute of barn! Actually, I did better than I thought getting all rounds inside a 12x14 inch area with a EoTech. But my eyes are letting me know that if I want to shoot that far and be relatively decent they need help.

So as I mentioned I have an EoTech on my AR which IMHO can't be beat for 50 yards and in. I like the looks of that Bushnell Trophy but since it doesn't magnify it's not what I am after.

Basically I would like a scope that is perhaps 4x with about a 32mm objective, relatively compact, not super expensive (ACOG) but not a el cheapo either.

Any ideas or am I asking too much ;) ?

add a larue hendsoldt "poor boy" magnifier to your existing eotech. the mount allows the magnifier to swing out of the way, so you can still use the eotech bare. i BELIEVE they have a different part number for ones used behind and eotech (lower axis).....call larue and make sure.

Hensoldt Magnifier With LaRue Tactical QD Pivot Mount LT649

i have been using one behind an aimpoint since they first debuted, and i cant say enough good things about them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A lot of guys over on ARFCOM really like the Millet DMS1 and DMS2. I've got a FACOG from 1337tactical.com that I really enjoy but most folks poopoo it since it's an ACOG knock-off optic.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check the EE on Arfcom for a used magnifier or maybe try an ACOG (4x).

Leupold makes a tactical scope (CQT???) in 4x also.

Good luck!!!

Lex

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For a cheaper cost optic I'd have to +3 the DMS. I went from an EOtech to this and found I love the ability to go form 1-4. It has become my favorite optic on hand.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Millet DMS1 $230 from Midway. If you want to spend more, there are many many great options, but for $230, nothing comes close. Get a King Arms scope mount for $50 and you will be all set :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Millet DMS1 $230 from Midway. If you want to spend more, there are many many great options, but for $230, nothing comes close. Get a King Arms scope mount for $50 and you will be all set :D
I have this set up and it's working great so far. I'm nearsighted. Anything past 50yds and my accuracy goes out the windows with irons.

J

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A lot of optics are made in China. Supersniper, Burris, Bushnell, you name it, all made in China. Even USA brand Leupolds have most of their scoped made in China. I heard the Mark4 Leupold, which are suppose to be made in the USA are only assembled here with parts and glass coming from China.

Seems like if the scope is under $600 then it is most likely Chinese Glass. Nightforce use Japanese glass but this is not a bad thing, the top tier jap glass is just as good as the euro stuff. For top tier optics that uses jap and euro glass, expect to pay a minimum of $1000, but $2000 is more likely.

Good glass is addicting. Amazing clarity and light gathering ability, ability to pick up shadows, rugged, and tough. But cheaper glass is capable of hitting a target just as well as good glass. After all, the purpose of a scope is to hit the target and not to sight see, or bird watch :D 1000 Russian Women Snipers killed 20,000 German Officers with cheap Mosin Nagant optics.

I like the Millet because of value, it is nice piece for the price. ACOG glass at most is probably only 30% better than a Millet, but ACOGs are 500% more expensive. You are paying a lot for that extra 30% improvement.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
+100 on the DMS-1

I like it so much I have a Millet LRS long range scope on the way for my 24"

I can't wiat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DMS-1 Gen 2 on my AR-15. It's not the best, but it is a great value for the $205 or so I paid for it. I'd put it in the same category of the SWFA "Super Sniper" for bang-for-your-buck optics. It's not as good as $800-$1600 optics, but hell at $200 It shouldn't be. I'm just a casual shooter and will be a new 3-gunner so it was a reasonable choice in my case, YMMV.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have you used one? They are great scopes.

I have also been interested in this one, but the date on them receiving it keeps getting pushed back. It is probably just like the Millett. MidwayUSA - Bushnell Trophy Scope 30mm Tube 1-4x 24mm Illuminated 4A with Dot Reticle Matte
I hope I didn't sound snooty about it being made in China. It was just an observation. Until I read Cartmann's post above I didn't realize that so many scopes were made in China. I have no reason to doubt the quality of the DMS scopes. Everyone here says good things about them as do the reviews I read on Midway.

Are they a good scope for working in close ... say 25 yards and less ... as in home defense?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hope I didn't sound snooty about it being made in China. It was just an observation. Until I read Cartmann's post above I didn't realize that so many scopes were made in China. I have no reason to doubt the quality of the DMS scopes. Everyone here says good things about them as do the reviews I read on Midway.

Are they a good scope for working in close ... say 25 yards and less ... as in home defense?

Guess that would depend on the field of view at the mag setting of x1. Shouldn't be any diffrent at that setting than say an Aimpoint as far as target aqusistion (SP?) but I haven't used one yet so I can't say for sure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

The DMS-1 is a true 1x. Set on 1x I can use it both eys open no problems. It is a scope though and head alignment and eye relief are more critical than on a red dot. It has a lighted reticule which helps with quick target acquisition. There is an epic thread on arfcom with lots of pics. I'll see if my camera will allow me to get a good shot tomorrow.

J

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Several people, including myself, report a little 'fishy eye' effect around the outer rim of the glass. To this end, many report that the DMS-1 isn't as 'fast' as an Aimpoint or Eotech, and I believe them. For me, though, I wanted something that was useful at both close to 1x and about 4x without spending the cash for an Aimpoint/Eotech + magnifier.

I'll deal with the small level of distortion around the rim to have a single optic I can dial up or down to serve both an aim-point role as well as a magnified role for $200 rather than having either only 1x or only 4x (with the extra, expensive magnifier) and having to worry about mounting/unmounting the magnifier as needed. I've seen a mount for the magnifier that seems to flip it to the side allowing free use of the host optic, but I didn't have a great feeling about the concept, let alone the cost.

The DMS-1 is a budget solution, no doubt, but it fits my needs perfectly. If you're an operator, your needs may differ. If Uncle Sam is paying for your gear, get the best you can find.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Check the EE on Arfcom for a used magnifier or maybe try an ACOG (4x).

Leupold makes a tactical scope (CQT???) in 4x also.

Good luck!!!

Lex
Remember ... I was going for semi-inexpensive not break the bank!!!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts