AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first AR so I'm not looking to spend uber-$$$$ on this rifle, however I am going to spend enough to have a good quality weapon. It will be for my m16a4 clone.

I figure it will be cheaper, and just as reliable, for me to put the lower together myself, so my question is...

What are some of the better quality lowers? I'd be willing to spend $125-150 on a stripped unit (ehh, maybe not thaaaaat much). I've heard good things about Mega and GTS and RRA. What about CMMG? I see they have some decent prices and options.

Also, because the lower would need to be sent to a FFL holder, is there a database that has FFL holders listed by state? NH perhaps???

thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
dont worry about the lower as long as its forged. the money you save on the lower is better spent somewhere else on the rifle. you will be able to notice more of a difference on the upper and one some good glass. so spend less on the lower and spend more on the upper
i have a superior arms lower and i am very happy with it. it comes with a adjustment screw that adjusts the overtravel of the trigger. its nice but i wouldnt pay extra to get it. but since they are cheap ill build my next ar on one of them also.

but if your a brand whore then by all means get a brand name one but odds are you wont ever notice the difference unless there is a different finish on it but thats about it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh and i got a 18" crome lined 1/8 twist CMMG upper and i am very happy with it. they arnt as main stream but they are great quality. my complete upper was $525

try to find a local dealer that carries them that way you wont have to pay shipping and the FFL transfer cost

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh and i got a 18" crome lined 1/8 twist CMMG upper and i am very happy with it. they arnt as main stream but they are great quality. my complete upper was $525

try to find a local dealer that carries them that way you wont have to pay shipping and the FFL transfer cost
not sure that this will work for you or not but look for a local gun board they are normally pretty small and not widely advertised, if you have one register and start looking for FFL holders a lot of times you will find guys that do them for cheap then if you can start looking online for a good deal i found my Complete LMT lower with SopMod Stock for $325 which to me was a pretty good deal. I am not a brand whore by any means but am choosing to use exclusive LMT parts on my next build to try and keep a decent resell value should i need to sell it quick (which probably won't happen i seem to buy and buy and buy but hardly ever sell). virtually the only difference between my Lower and a Spikes Tactical Lower will be the LMT name and in all actuality the price will pretty close once you break down the Piece by piece retails.

the sopmod stocks are around $150 then the LPK was almost another 100. which would give me a total of $75 for my lower and that was shipped to boot then i had a buddy of mine that has an FFL transfer it to me for $1 (don't ask me why $1 maybe their is some BATFE requirement that i don't know about)

the deals are out there you just have to search high and low for them and be prepared to jump but still be Leary when they seem a little to good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is my first AR so I'm not looking to spend uber-$$$$ on this rifle, however I am going to spend enough to have a good quality weapon. It will be for my m16a4 clone.

I figure it will be cheaper, and just as reliable, for me to put the lower together myself, so my question is...

What are some of the better quality lowers? I'd be willing to spend $125-150 on a stripped unit (ehh, maybe not thaaaaat much). I've heard good things about Mega and GTS and RRA. What about CMMG? I see they have some decent prices and options.

Also, because the lower would need to be sent to a FFL holder, is there a database that has FFL holders listed by state? NH perhaps???

thanks
Stag, RRA, Mega, CMMG, Essential Arms, Superior, Doublestar, Anvil Arms and others of similar type are all pretty much the same quality. Go for the best deal you can find. You should be able to put together a lower and LPK for around $200.

To find an FFL the easiest way it to go to Auction Arms and/or GunBroker and click on the how to buy button. You can list your state, maybe even zip code and find a dealer near you. They often list their transfer fees as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have built both a Mega and RRA lower. The MEGA is by far and away the nicer of the two. The finish, the machining, etc. Couldnt ask for a better lower and Im actually glad I passed up the LMT and COLT to get the MEGA.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the opinions fellas... good advice here.

I keep hearing the term "forged" and I'm not sure what it means.... I figured all lowers came from a mold and were machined. I take it I'm not even close on this one...?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good info...thanks all.....my AR build may be on hold though.....got the bug for a bigger house......kinda trumps the AR.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I too have caught the AR bug and this came up on the Centerfire website. AR Complete Lower<br>with M4 Buttstock<br>Part #ARCOMLOW-M4 - ARCOMLOW-M4 I am still technicaly a resident of the Great State of Kentucky and i can pick this up without shipping or transfer fees b/c i live close to the place.

My question is this, are there any serious problems with a Doublestar lower stock and receiver bad enough to keep me from investing in it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Essential Arms

I just checked and the price is $86 for a stripped lower. That is THE BEST DEAL going, and the fit and finish on the lowers I've built from them is excellent. I'll never buy anything else again.
Hooz, do you get the LPK's from them as well, or just the stripped lower? There price on the stripped + LPK + A2 stock seems really cheap? What's there quality on LPKs? Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have ordered stripped lowers and stripped uppers (and upper parts) from them. I piece all my lowers together myself... No LPKs for me! ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have ordered stripped lowers and stripped uppers (and upper parts) from them. I piece all my lowers together myself...
That was part of my question. Do you order Lower parts kits from them as well? Or do you get just the stripped lower from them, and order the parts kit from another vendor?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That was part of my question. Do you order Lower parts kits from them as well? Or do you get just the stripped lower from them, and order the parts kit from another vendor?

I don't buy LPKs from anyone.

I go to Del-Ton, Model1Sales or Brownells and order all the pins, springs, etc individually. I use too many non-standard parts (anti-walk pins, match triggers, bolt catches, mag release buttons, pistol grips, etc). Buying an LPK and then not using half of it is a waste, so I get everything seperately and get exactly what I want.

I can't comment on EA's LPKs, but if the quality is as good as their receivers, they should be just as good as anyone else's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
here is an article about forging
Forging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

there are some that are cast where they melt the metal and pour into a mold and then machine it. the cast lowers arent as good because when you cast something there isnt anyway to tell if there is any internal flaws which are alot more likly when you cast.

forging you take a solid piece and either heat it up or leave it cold but in both the metal is still a solid. and you then hammer it into the mold. there are a few advantages you get from forging that you can read about in the link i posted.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
here is an article about forging
Forging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

there are some that are cast where they melt the metal and pour into a mold and then machine it. the cast lowers arent as good because when you cast something there isnt anyway to tell if there is any internal flaws which are alot more likly when you cast.

forging you take a solid piece and either heat it up or leave it cold but in both the metal is still a solid. and you then hammer it into the mold. there are a few advantages you get from forging that you can read about in the link i posted.

Much thanks.

I just got home from work and I have a message in my inbox saying that the Bushy upper should be at my door tomorrow.

Obligatory pics will follow.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts