AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on another forum, but wanted some more input.
I own a Smith and Wesson M&P15T. I am experiencing a no feed situation regular ly. I have 5 30 rounds mags (Same make as what came with the gun) and one 20 round mag. Today, I shot used the 20 round mag first, and after the first shot, it did not feed, I fed the next one and after that I did not have any issues. I then loaded a 30 round mag, and first 5 rounds would not feed automatically, and after that I had not problems with the mag. The next 4 mags I had nothing but problems with, sometimes it would not feed at all and the next it catch the ammunition half way up and jam the gun. The gun was cleaned and lubed. This is my 3rd outing and same results. Any suggestions? I am thinking about sending it back to Smith and Wesson, but hate to part with it for weeks if I can fix it myself.

Oh, I am shooting American Eagle .223 Rem. 55 Grain FMJ Boat Tail and Federal XM193 5.56MM M193 Ball ammo 55 Grain. Did not notice a difference between how they fed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That kind of ammo is standard fare for AR's, so that wont be the problem.

Sounds like a magazine issue to me. Pick up something different than what it came with (like a CProducts or Magpul PMag) and try it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some things to try...

Does it lock back on the last shot fired? Put a single round in the mag and try this several like ... 15 times.... we are trying to detirmine if its short stroking here.

Is it ejecting the empty casing or is it in there causing the ftf?

Is this problem happening with the the mag it came with or the ones you bought?

Either way.. it should run with a hitch with AE 223 or xm193.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some things to try...

Does it lock back on the last shot fired? Put a single round in the mag and try this several like ... 15 times.... we are trying to detirmine if its short stroking here.

Is it ejecting the empty casing or is it in there causing the ftf?

Is this problem happening with the the mag it came with or the ones you bought?

Either way.. it should run with a hitch with AE 223 or xm193.
It does lock back after the last round fired.
It has no problems ejecting the spent cartridge
It is happening with the mag that came with it as well as the ones I bought.
There were some where it looked like it tried to grab the round in the middle of the case, but once I looked at the case there was a scrape all the way down the case and then pinched up and sent it perpendicular to the breach.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There were some where it looked like it tried to grab the round in the middle of the case, but once I looked at the case there was a scrape all the way down the case and then pinched up and sent it perpendicular to the breach.
That sounds like the crappy magazine that I first got when i built my AR. It would put huge scratches all the way down the brass, and periodically launch a round from the magazine into the chamber, causing a jam (or the bolt to lock back prematurely). Try some different mags.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds like the crappy magazine that I first got when i built my AR. It would put huge scratches all the way down the brass, and periodically launch a round from the magazine into the chamber, causing a jam (or the bolt to lock back prematurely). Try some different mags.
What mag did you finally settle on (It sounds as though I have 6 bad mags?)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked up two CProducts 20 rounders with magpul followers, and I havent had a jam since. Got em from http://www.44mag.com/

Also planning on picking up a few PMags at the fun show next week, as I've heard nothing but good things about them. Wish they made 20 round versions tho.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, sounds like a mag problem for sure. I had same thing happen with 1/2 dozen Brownells mags I got. All they needed was to have the forward end of the feed lips bent up VERY slightly, just sorta flared them a bit. No problems since then (that would be the 1 inch long lips at the top, back of the mag.)

+1 for 44mag.com I got 10 of the D&H mags from him and no problems with any of them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow... six bad mags... i dunno... whats stamped on the bottom of them?

I thought that the m&p came with D&H mags.. which are some pretty good mags.

You could try some other usgi ( gi issue ) mags..D&H, Labelle, NHMTG, Okays, all available ath 44mag.com. Ive never used c-products or p-mags so I cannot personally recomend them... but Ive tried all the others ive listed and all have ran great.

Does it at least attempt to strip the round out of the mag?
Or does the round look like its hitting the front of the magazine?

In all seriousness... this rifle should run like a brick sh*t house with the mags it came with... I would at least give S&W a call and let them know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NHMTG is the 30 round mag that came with it. So, I thought they would be the best to go with.

It has not problem stripping the round, throws it very nicely and consistently.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NHMTG's are good to go man. Ive got a dozen that have never ever let me down.

Just for giggles though... you could get somebody else with an AR to try out your mags.

But if it were me... I wouldn't play games with it.. Im sorry to say it but....send it back.

Thats one of the perks of an off the shelf rifle instead of building it.

sorry bud,.... but thats my .02 worth. :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

That is signs of a short stroke... your sure the bolt is locking back every time the last shot is fired??...

Try looking at your bolt carrier group... make sure those bolts that hold the carrier key on are tight. Ensure they installed gas rings on the bolt.....and make double extra sure its locking back each and every time the last shot is fired.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have some more mags on the way from MAGPULL. But, I am going to send it back to Smith and Wesson. I will take it back to where I bought it and let Smith Deal with it.... For what I paid for this gun, I should not have any problems with it with regular maint.

This SUX.:(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have some more mags on the way from MAGPULL. But, I am going to send it back to Smith and Wesson. I will take it back to where I bought it and let Smith Deal with it.... For what I paid for this gun, I should not have any problems with it with regular maint.

This SUX.:(
Yup, but even though you're having the issue, you are one of the few that has had real issues with the S&W.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yup, but even though you're having the issue, you are one of the few that has had real issues with the S&W.
Is this supposed to make him feel better?

I also doubt he has 6 new bad mags. Although the Hartsford Horsey's I've never really liked. And I don't really care for OK centers either just for the fact of the matter.

But Cproducts (*and AR stoners) and D&H and Magpul I really like. Especially the magpuls.

A couple of possibilities that hasn't been covered at this point is the gas system and buffer, etc.

Is the front sight or gas block straight (meaning gas port hole lined up).

Does the buffer spring have an excess of tension? Correct spring and buffer assembly for the type of stock you're using?

Have you done any add ons or changes?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is this supposed to make him feel better?
Nope, and I didn't say that it would. If you would like I can get my smoke machine out and blow some smoke for every one :rolleyes:

The intent of the comment was to basically say that he might have one of the F E W that have QA issues. That he should feel fairly confident that when the weapon returns that it will work.

As for mags, yeah no way it's 6 bad mags. I think several people here tend to over exaggerate the potential of bad mags or the actual reliability of such a proven and simple mechanism found in the basic USGI mags. Well unless you have 20 year old mags with the unimproved followers and truly worn out springs. That is not the case for our poster.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Rimler! Yup, saw your post on another site.. While mag issues are fairly common, it sounds a bit peculiar that all 6 mags are having similar symptoms... But it is worth a try to use other mags & see if you can reproduce the issue. See if someone at the range might let you borrow a few mags.

Mine came with w/ the NHMTG mag (Green followers). These were also the same mags sent when S&W had a 2 free mag promotion.

I had a few stoppages w/ mine early on, say about 3 times total within the first 120 rds. where it would misfeed 2 rounds at a time & lock up (used PMC Bronze). Other than that it's been fine after about 1300rds with a mix of Fed. AE or PMC Bronze (on NHMTG's & PMAG's) depending on what the range carries that day.

Considering S&W's warranty on the rifles is 1 year, sooner may be better than later. I've thought of sending mine in as the barrel seems slightly canted (to the left) visually, but after re-zeroing it seems to be grouping consistantly, so I think I'll hold on to it for a bit and see...

Whatever you decide, keep us posted! :) You're absolutely right - you shouldn't have to troubleshoot a new factory-built rifle other than std. maintenance & cleaning.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is signs of a short stroke... your sure the bolt is locking back every time the last shot is fired??...

Try looking at your bolt carrier group... make sure those bolts that hold the carrier key on are tight. Ensure they installed gas rings on the bolt.....and make double extra sure its locking back each and every time the last shot is fired.
+1
I would also check the gas rings and key bolts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Look for slight rusting near the bayonet mount. The gas key may need to be staked also. NHMTG mags are GTG as some one else mentioned, it aint the mags. Make sure your running the weapon wet also. What parts are you lubing and how much? The bolt, the rails on the BC, the cam pin area...all should be wet. Manually move the BCG back and forth with your hand, it should feel smooth as silk, with no resistance.

Good luck, Im interested to see what the deal is.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts