AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Yay income tax return. I now have some money to throw at an "evil black gun" but I can't decide on the model that I want. I like the idea of the M4 having a 16" barrel and can use it for home protection, but I also like the idea of having the 20" barrel of the M16 to make longer distance shots. I like the adaptability of the M4 to accept to many accessory rails for light, lasers, bipods, and the like...or can the M16 do that as well? I definitely want the A3 model with the removable carrying handle but most of the time it will remain on the gun because I really enjoy using iron sights.

I currently have a Ruger Mini-14 with two 20rd magazines so if everyone thinks that I will be better off with the the M16 then I will keep the Mini as a strict scoped carbine.

Help...No one on this sight has never let me down before as I am also getting my second XD later in the summer.

~Thanks~

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
since you got the mini14 i'd say go AR-15, full length

A buddy of mine just bought a AR-15 flat top a4, with removable fron sights (so he can use a scope), and it was 820 after sales tax.

Rock River Arms: Standard A2 / A4

so far hes been pretty happy with it

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
You can do 500 meter/yard shots with the M4orgery and hit a human sized target. Last time I was at the range the LAR Battalion was there with their issued M4s qualing with the rest of us that had A2s (wingers) and A4s(grunts).

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
You can do 500 meter/yard shots with the M4orgery and hit a human sized target. Last time I was at the range the LAR Battalion was there with their issued M4s qualing with the rest of us that had A2s (wingers) and A4s(grunts).

dont mean this as a slam:
but he already has a 223 carbine (mini14) why would he want to buy another?

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Yay income tax return. I now have some money to throw at an "evil black gun" but I can't decide on the model that I want. I like the idea of the M4 having a 16" barrel and can use it for home protection, but I also like the idea of having the 20" barrel of the M16 to make longer distance shots. I like the adaptability of the M4 to accept to many accessory rails for light, lasers, bipods, and the like...or can the M16 do that as well? I definitely want the A3 model with the removable carrying handle but most of the time it will remain on the gun because I really enjoy using iron sights.

I currently have a Ruger Mini-14 with two 20rd magazines so if everyone thinks that I will be better off with the the M16 then I will keep the Mini as a strict scoped carbine.

Help...No one on this sight has never let me down before as I am also getting my second XD later in the summer.

~Thanks~

what caliber is your mini 14 chambered?

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
dont mean this as a slam:
but he already has a 223 carbine (mini14) why would he want to buy another?
From what I've read, the Mini-14 is not as accurate as an AR. The accuracy gets worse after shooting the Mini-14 because the barrel is thin and "warps" when it gets hot.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
what caliber is your mini 14 chambered?
Typically, Mini-14s are .223/5.56. Mini-30 is 7.62 x 39. There is a new caliber for the Mini this year, 6.8 SPC. Ruger has the 6.8 listed with the Mini-14s, but the model designation is a Mini-6.8 or something like that.

Mini-14 and a 16" AR-15 may share the same caliber, but they are two completely different animals. There are pros and cons to each platform. Nevertheless, both are fun to shoot.

16" or 20", I don't think the OP could pick a 'wrong' AR. All up to personal taste. All (some maybe moreso than others) ARs are modular, so whatever extras he wants can be added to either the 16" or the 20".

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
How about splitting the barrel length difference and going with an 18" tube?

There are endless ways to hang stuff off an AR rifle, no matter if the barrel is 24", or pistol length. Whatever you decide to get, you can hang a kitchen sink, fridge, mini-bar, and porta-potty on it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
The Dissapator ARs are pretty neat and you really don't see a lot of them around. If I get another AR for myself (got to build the wife's first) I think it will be a Dissapator model.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the good ingormation. The Mini-14 is indeed chambered in the .223/5.56 for those who asked. I wanted to stick with the M16 or the M4 because they share the same round and I would not have to go out and buy a different round. I have access to several thousand rounds of 5.56 thanks to a close friend so that is the caliber I am sticking with.

The Mini-14 has been a wonderful little gun to have around especially after the addition of the two factory 20rd magazines over the lousy stock 5rd magazine. The barrel loves to get fairly warm even to the point where I cant touch it after two or three big magazine loads. That is the whole reason I wanted to get the M16 or the M4 was to get the heavy barrel so I didnt have to worry about too much heat.

I am leaning towards the M16 but I just can't get away from the look of the M4.

~Thanks~

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Just for clarity, an M16 is a machine gun. You maybe are talking about the A2/A3 style 20" AR rifle?

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
get the 20" and later on either build or pick up another complete M4 carbine upper. it will mount on the same lower then you will have the best of both worlds. you can get one pretty cheap without the B/BCA/CH then just get it checked with your other Bolt to insure proper head spacing. its as easy to switch over as pulling to take down pins out and slapping the new other one on.

if you really want an M16 i know a guy that deals in full auto and has a transferable one i think he wants like $15k for it though

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
A 16" with a midlength gas system is an ideal compromise for a lot of people. Since you like to use iron sights the longer sight radius of the middy comes in handy.

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
The Dissapator ARs are pretty neat and you really don't see a lot of them around. If I get another AR for myself (got to build the wife's first) I think it will be a Dissapator model.
I dig the dissipator. I photoshopped a dissipator with a shorty L.E. A1-style buttstock and it looked really good. I'll probably build one over the summer. I like the long sight radius.

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
I have shot both. Me personally I would like the M4. I did have a Mini-14 but really didn,t like it. It seemed to have to much slop in it. I seemed to get better shot groups at any distance with the M4. I would suggest going to the 6.8 by Bushmaster. In the M4 version it seem to have a little more penetration.

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
With the modularity of the AR, you can no doubt find any combo of barrel length/chamber/profile, stock, accessory rails, sights, and various other bells and whistles available. Just think about what you'll use it for and press on--get one in your hands and start shootin'! Pretty soon, you'll probably want to tweak it. 'Cool thing with the AR is that any tweak imaginable can probably be found, and many you can handle on your own.

Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts