AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carried one in the Army and wanted to know what would be a good brand to go with for accuracy and reliability. I looked at a S&W today and really liked it but it was very expensive... I am leaning toward getting it anyway. anyone know what ammo goes for nowdays, what a good brand / things to look for in a civilian model M4 or any general things they would like to share?
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I recently got a Stag Arms Mdl 3 (basically a flat top civie M4 with no sights). I did so for a couple of reasons...

1. the price ($825 out the door)
2. recommended by many people for superior quality
3. recommended by many people for good to better accuracy
4. they supplied the rifles for the International SWAT challenge

I was rewarded with a very accurate, well built rifle. They also make versions for lefties as well. www.stagarms.com
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Bushmaster. It is the A3 model with detachable carrying handle, Izzy flash suppressor etc. I paid about 850 last January. Done lots of service rifle matches with it and stay pretty competitive with the guys with the M1s and the M1As. Try Rock River also. I would go RRA then Bushy for the top two for quality and reliability. Colt and Arma also, but then you are entering into a different tax bracket.

Asking questions like this can turn into a pissing contest really quick. ;)
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hellagerms, I kinda figured that and I cringed when I sent it out... But I can't find a local bushy and the S&W did feel pretty nice...

How important is a floating tube?
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i currently have a bushmaster m4a3 and owned a bushmaster m4a2 in the past, my dad has owned three different model bushmasters and we couldn't be more happy with thier performace over the years. they are reliable, accurate, fun to shoot, easy to customize to meet any mission needs. we haven't had any issues out of the ones we had, or the two that we currently have. bushmasters are great rifles and they will serve you well.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get a brand new RRA M4 upper, , shipped 100% complete, for $429, a lower from your FFL or a gun show for ~$100, a lower parts kit for $55, a 4 position collapsable stock and buffer tube assembly for $25, and spend the rest on ammo.

Thread and snap fit together. 30 minutes later you have yourself an item that will most likely acivate a disease in you called black rifle disease or BRD.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
go bushmaster and biuld your own
bushy upper and lower and pick and choose stock hand gaurd grip oooweee sounds like fun!
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hellagerms said:
Asking questions like this can turn into a pissing contest really quick. ;)
Yeah, but then some people will also argue over which flavor of Kool Aid is the best. ;)

I'm happy with what I've got, I've got a few friends that own Bushmasters (I almost got one) and they're happy with what they've got, and know another guy that has a Colt and is the biggest AR-snob (if it ain't Colt, then it's crap type of guy).

I look at it like this, if you get a good quality rifle and are happy with it, it doesn't matter who made it.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Red02Deuce said:
Get a brand new RRA M4 upper, , shipped 100% complete, for $429, a lower from your FFL or a gun show for ~$100, a lower parts kit for $55, a 4 position collapsable stock and buffer tube assembly for $25, and spend the rest on ammo.

Thread and snap fit together. 30 minutes later you have yourself an item that will most likely acivate a disease in you called black rifle disease or BRD.
+1, although I think you'll find the prices have gone up (or at least in my area). The lowers are now around $120. The lower parts kit runs around $65. The buffer assy runs around $60. The uppers are closer to $500. You then also need to throw in money for a rear sight ($85 to $130).

Here are couple of good resources:
http://www.del-ton.com/

http://www.eaglefirearms.net/
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm actually seeing the bottom drop out of the AR market in Ohio. There are non-M4's for under $600 available pretty readily. M4's are still more cabbage though. If you can find a Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine you'll be in good shape. $750 to $850 depending on the condition are pretty good numbers.

As with any gun though, you have to test a bunch of different ammo to find what yours likes best. Nothing wrong with that is there??? I have a Bushmaster Varmint Special that loves cheap bulk ammo from Cabela's and doesn't like precision handloads. Yet other AR's I have are just the opposite. You'll just have to get a gun and try several brands of ammo to see what works best ;) .
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All these posts offer good advice. My opinion is close to hellagerms's. I would go with a Bushmaster or RRA in that order. You can't go wrong with either. You can basically build the gun you want by shopping around at gun shows too.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On-line shopping exclusively...

Ar-15.com's EE section is loaded with great deals and the average street prices are what I mentioned earlier. A2 or collap. stock assembles for < $40.

The lowers are harder to find at $100 though. But still, to your point getting an upper for $120 wont break the bank.

Yea, I overlooked the rear sight. I have a LMT so I spaced it out. Good catch. However, any scope or red dot and a set of rings would complete the set up. Or add ~ $80 for a quality rear sight.

I just bought a new unfired Del-Ton set up for cheap: 16" light weight barrel assembly, complete A2 upper, minus bolt carrier/ bolt/ CH, with a collapsable stock thrown in. This set up was over $80 less than I was looking to spend on a new barrel. Since this lightweight set up is for the wife, $300 for a barrel was hard to justify for how much she shoots.

The cool thing is the seller is 35 minutes away and I get to pick it up today.

I wll have <$520 in this complete rifle, assembled with brand new, name brand parts (mostly DPMS). Well, the stock has been mounted.

jdavionic said:
+1, although I think you'll find the prices have gone up (or at least in my area). The lowers are now around $120. The lower parts kit runs around $65. The buffer assy runs around $60. The uppers are closer to $500. You then also need to throw in money for a rear sight ($85 to $130).

Here are couple of good resources:
http://www.del-ton.com/

http://www.eaglefirearms.net/
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Red02Deuce said:
Get a brand new RRA M4 upper, , shipped 100% complete, for $429, a lower from your FFL or a gun show for ~$100, a lower parts kit for $55, a 4 position collapsable stock and buffer tube assembly for $25, and spend the rest on ammo.

Thread and snap fit together. 30 minutes later you have yourself an item that will most likely acivate a disease in you called black rifle disease or BRD.
+1 also. This is a real good way to go.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, don't forget about your ar-15 pistols, it is a different flavor but it is definately the most fun one could have.

here is a pic thread: http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=122&t=245757

I have a pistol caliber (9mm) Ar pistol also, and it is unbelievably accurate when doing doiuble, triple, quad taps and close to zero recoil. Most fun to be had without being class III. :cool:
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I currently have a bushmaster A3 car version I love it. My advice build one. Set down and make a list of every accessorie you know you want buy it from the get go and save yourself time and alot of money. If you need some build parts I have a removable carry handle, Collapsable butt stock assembly and car hand gaurds I'll let go cheap. Just PM me. But I warn the black rifles are addictive. I have way more in my accessories than I do the gun. My credit card shows it. :mrgreen:
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Red02Deuce said:
If it included that Hogue grip, vertical grip, and flat top riser, you did okay for a factory assembled rifle. Now go shoot the pis* out if it.
For everything, $1110.

Red02Deuce said:
Oh, and keep a spare set of gas rings, extractor, and spring kit in your gun box for emergencies.
Thanks, I will.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Look forward to that stock. I too have the disease (4 AR's purchased/ assembled since Feb) but fortunately it has been a cash deal for me since then. :)

Thanks bdw293

bdw293 said:
I currently have a bushmaster A3 car version I love it. My advice build one. Set down and make a list of every accessorie you know you want buy it from the get go and save yourself time and alot of money. If you need some build parts I have a removable carry handle, Collapsable butt stock assembly and car hand gaurds I'll let go cheap. Just PM me. But I warn the black rifles are addictive. I have way more in my accessories than I do the gun. My credit card shows it. :mrgreen:
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top