AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I get a M4 and I don't have a safe, what is a good case to get in order to secure the weapon?

Also, what cleaning supplies would I need to get? For example, what cleaning rods, lube, etc.

I just want to know these kinds of things before I end up getting the rifle.

Thanks for the help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you get a real M4 bury it in the backyard and never let anyone know you have it cause it's a ticket to Club Fed.

However if you want to get a M4orgery then pick up some CLP a bore snake and some bore cleaner and a hard sided rifle case from Wal-Mart and call it a day :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well all a case will do is give them something to carry the gun away in. walmart has a cheap gun safe that would work. you can bolt it down and you NEED to bolt it down as its made out of pretty thin metal so its pretty light and would be fairly easy for someone to steal but if its bolted down they would have to break into it in you house which 95% of criminals wouldn't do. unless you had a metal saw or a cutting toarch right next to it. the last time i saw it, it was like $78.XX

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh yea since there is soooo many threads about what safe to get for an m4. also have you tried searching for m4? it wont let you same goes for ar-15 so you would have to sift through pages and pages of posts about safes and about cleaning kits, and in the end you would probably still have some questions

i just dont see what the big deal of starting a new thread is. if i answer the same question too many times i just wont respond or wont read it. its not like anyone is forcing them to read them. and of the threads that are commonly repeated this one is definitely not one i have came across before.
so if you have a question just ask it.
the search on this site SUCKS so odds are you will have to start a thread anyway after you searched for a while and didnt find anything

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^^i don't know. i typed "clean ar" into google and got plenty of results. then i typed in "ar15 safe" and got plenty of results.

here is a great reference for you if you have a question:

Google

i know that sometimes it is hard to actually define your question and filter out the appropriate key words, but it will get easier with practice.

no offense to the op.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any good hard side case with the ability to lock it will do. It's portable so it could walk off but for keeping kids out that works.

Cleaning kits are a personal preference, I use every thing from a standard G.I issued kit to a complete kit at home. I have a G.I kit for each AR both Colts 6551 Gov A2 and 6920 that goes to the field.

The GI kit is good for basic cleaning if you should need it. The kit includes, rods, patches, CLP/Breakfree, bore & chamber brushes, tooth type brush, pipe cleaners and q-tips. I added a boresnake to one of the kits but found that I really don't use it. Really the only item I use in the field is the breakfree/CLP and most of the time it's loaned to someone else. I clean the rifle about every 1,000 rnds and haven't ever had a problem in the field. Using a good lube and lubing the right parts on an AR/M16 is crucial for reliable performance.

The GI kit cleaning rod breaks down make sure if you buy a GI kit assemble the rods and sand the seams smooth. You don't want to scratch the barrel if the rods don't align and match up.

For home I use a single piece rod that's coated, boresnake, jag and variety of cleaning / lubricating agents. I have spare bore and chamber brushes and tooth brushes in the main kit with extra patches, pipe cleaners and q-tips.

Here is a list of things to consider for your cleaning kit and is a pretty good selection for any type of firearm. This list is not all inclusive I've got more stuff but this is what I use on a somewhat regular basis.

Wipe Out
Breakfree / CLP - Must have IMO
TWB25 - Lube / Grease "currently my primary lube for all firearms a little goes a long way"
Rem Oil - great for finish but also use Breakfree / CLP
Breakfree gun scrubber - similar to brake cleaner, I don't use it very often
Bluewonder kit - I don't use it very often

Good luck in your search for a M4 type firearm. My Colts have served me very well. The mods posted a FAQ on selecting a good AR you should spend some time and go through it. Consider a Colt 6920 which is as close as you can get to the M4 w/o the select fire switch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^i don't know. i typed "clean ar" into google and got plenty of results. then i typed in "ar15 safe" and got plenty of results.

here is a great reference for you if you have a question:

Google

i know that sometimes it is hard to actually define your question and filter out the appropriate key words, but it will get easier with practice.

no offense to the op.
i was referring to the forums search function

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Amish guy, thank you for your advice. I didn't know that I could do a search on Google, so thanks for the heads up. :rolleyes:

Of course I have done some research. However, since I don't know anyone who owns a ar-15 type of rifle, I was thinking maybe someone here who did could give me there opinion of what was good or not.

Thanks for the replies.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stack-On Gun lockers only go for about $120 from Dicks and many other places.

The bolt holes line up with studs, so if you bolt it to the corner of the closet, you will be all set.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stack-On Gun lockers only go for about $120 from Dicks and many other places.

The bolt holes line up with studs, so if you bolt it to the corner of the closet, you will be all set.

I've got the 8 gun Stack-On I ordered it from Sportsmans Guide. Works great. NOT heavy duty by any means but it keeps little kiddies away and if bolted to studs makes it much harder for the average theif to do a smash and grab.

I use the top shelf for the pistols. I took some old T-shirts I had laying around and layered them between the pistols to protect them.

This cabinet for me is simply a stop gap measure. I didn't want to invest in a big heavy arse safe since I am going to be moving back to Texas in a few months and didn't want to wrestle with it. When I get to Texas I will be getting an actuall Vault type safe and bolting it not only to the wall but the floor also.

I simply needed something for the short term to secure my firearms from my kid and to protect against the casual smash and grab.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Search Police.... the downfall of message boards. It's easier to just move on to the next thread than try to make people do what you think is the right way. Most people aren't really bothered by repeat questions anyway. :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
for an extra 100 bucks or so... you can have this from the stack on line

• Holds 8 rifles or shotguns up to 52-in tall
  • 3-number combination lock with a drill-resistant, hardened steel plate behind the lock provides greater security
  • 3 live-action, steel locking bolts, concealed hinges and pry resistant door
  • Includes a removable, carpeted steel shelf for added storage
  • Dimensions: W 15 1/2 in; D 12 3/8 in; H 53 in
i think this is what i'm going to buy for my rifles. i don't plan on having anymore than 3-4 EBRs 1 shotty and 2 bolt action rifles... i think... LOL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Search Police.... the downfall of message boards. It's easier to just move on to the next thread than try to make people do what you think is the right way. Most people aren't really bothered by repeat questions anyway. :rolleyes:
My thought exactly. Some folks have too much free time, I guess...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can't go wrong with Pelican cases. I use them for all my camera and video gear. Guns and rifles too. They are air tight, water proof, lockable, and almost indestructable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you see...there's the rub. if people could title their threads appropriately, searching would be much easier. additionally, if people were more creative/thoughtful with their searches, they would be able to find the answers they needed. having 200 threads titled "ar15 question" doesn't help...but who am i to judge? i obviously have enough time to troll on xdtalk, and therefore must not have a valid solution to the underlying problem. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts