AR15 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shooting an IDPA classifier last Sat and the topic of reloading came up.

This guy was saying that he read an article in a gun mag, I forget the name, about how to make your own 223 bullets.

He mentioned something about 22 brass and copper wire but that is all I really caught.

I would say he was full of **** but he isn't a BSer and the idea is just to whacky to make up.

Does anybody know what article or publication this is?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure it can be done. That is how Hornady started out. If you have a good source for .22LR cases, get some lead wire, and go to town. It is a bit of work, and I have looked into doing it making specialty bullets for the AR. The .22 cases are brass, so they are a bit harder than regular copper. If you can get match cases they work the best because they are more uniform. You can also buy the copper cups to make them if you don't have the cases.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
People over at Cast Boolits were talking about that kit, too. It seems interesting but is a bit pricey.

With .223 FMJ's being in short supply, I'm sure in time it will pay for itself, like with all other reloading equipment. Just kind of high for an initial purchase. .22LR cases are easy enuff to pick up off the range floor and the lead core isn't a problem, either.

Maybe next winter if the $$$ allows I'll pick one up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I read the entire process somewhere

All I could think of was who has the time to do that and they must not put any value on it

its a cool process but one that is better left to the mass production line

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There was also an article on this in Shooting Times, Nov. 07.

I scanned in the pages so I could find them in the future if I wanted to look into it more. And that way I didn't need to keep the magazine around.

Steelheart

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shooting Times, November 2007, Squeezing by the .223 shortage, page 30.;) A good read. Looks good except for the initial cash out lay for the equipment ($600) and the time it takes to make them. It already takes too long to reload as it is IMHO.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shooting Times, November 2007, Squeezing by the .223 shortage, page 30.;)
that's where i got my info. i bought the magazine thinking it would be more about reloading the .223, in regards to the swaging and whole process, but its mostly about the swage process itself, and where to find the components/cost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts