AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I have no light. I need a light.

My question is, are you guys using a dedicated rifle light? I'd love to have one to leave on my AR 100% of the time, but then my HK and Glock would remain naked on the nightstand.

Anyone use a TLR-1, or similar, on their AR? I don't care, personally, for the look of it on the AR, but I just can't afford to buy one for the pistolas, and a weapon light for the EBR at this point. It would have to be one or the other. For those of you with one, how do you like it?

I guess I'm kinda thinking I should go with the TLR now, for practical purposes around the house, and get the tacticool weapon light later. :(

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
well my Oly has a G2 Nitrolon on the side of my YHM rail mounted in a weaver scope ring i had laying around. i can twist it on or push tail cap button to activate it. ihave about 40 bucks in it why pay 100 for a tlr 1. G2 does the same thing.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
I run a TLR-2 on mine, 80 lumens is enough for me. OK, OK the temptation was just too great for me not to take it off my XD and put it on the Stag. I should get another for the XD..... eventually.

Presently it does not need the pressure pad back plate. I can work the toggle on it with the knuckle of my left hand, probably not ideal under high stress situations though. When I put a longer FF rail on I'll likely need the backplate though.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Mine that have lights have the G2's with the shock isolated bezel and a tape switch. Now that SF is just starting to ship the replacement heads to convert G2's to LED, I'm going to swap out all of my G2 heads for those in the next few months.

LED will handle the shock and punishment that a light has to be able to handle when mounted on a weapon, particularly something that is either rapid fired or select fire. There are some other really good lights out there and I think it was Eric Cartman that had a good break down on the Fenix lights he's been using. You might check those out as well.

The G2's as I have them set (less LED head) run about $80, with LED head it should only run about $90-ish. But you'd have to give Calvin at BrightFlashLights a call - you can find him at AR15.COM EE, or email at [email protected] .. really he's the best source for major brand lights, doesn't list his prices most times because he's 15-30% below MAP/MSRP and on top of that he's one of the best customer oriented business owners in the industry.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
IMO, the G2 is an excellent and economical answer to the lack of light on a battle rifle. I have one on my SKS in a viking mount. I like it a lot. I will be getting a tape switch for it e'er long. The one I've found was actually manufactured by Fobus. I have also heard that the tape switch for the Surefire 6P light fits onto the G2 (heard that at cheaperthandirt.com).

I'd also like to note that you have the option of a p61 lamp which puts out 120 lumens (as opposed to the p60 lamp which runs at 65 lumens). You have a shorter run time, but the light is BRIGHT. I will run the p61 lamp in my weapon mounted G2 when funds allow.

My $.02

joe

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Tac-star also makes a tapeswitch for the G2. They're available either at midwayusa or brownell's. (can't remember which probably check midway first)

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the recommendations, guys. I think I'm going to go with a light for the AR, instead of a handgun/AR light (such as TLR-1 or Streamlight).

The G2, as highly recommended as it comes, is one of my considerations. I'd definitely get the P61 lamp and a tapeswitch.

Now, I found a place (brightflashlights.com) that's offering the Pentagon lights in package deals, as well as G2 package deals. I like the looks of the Pentagon lights a little more, but would be happy with either one.

Anyway, I can get a Pentagon X2-HA upgraded to the LED L2-HA, a mount and tapeswitch for about $120ish. I can also get the G2, mount and tape switch for about $90, but after getting the P61 it'll be about the same as the other Pent. setup.

Which way would you guys jump? LED for longer life and battery life, but max 85 lumens? Or G2 & P61 with either 65/120 lumens? :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Now, I found a place (brightflashlights.com) that's offering the Pentagon lights in package deals, as well as G2 package deals. I like the looks of the Pentagon lights a little more, but would be happy with either one.
Calvin at Brightflashlights is a great guy to deal with.

Were I in your shoes, I'd get one of the Pentagon packages.

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
If you're not buying from Calvin then you are paying too much. Just be ready to chat a bit when you call him :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
That Pentagon looks sweet, mvician. :cool: GLAD I JUST ORDERED ONE! Woohoo! :mrgreen:

I gave Calvin a call when I got back from work today and ordered a Pentagon L2 w/ringmount and tapeswitch. $121.00. Not too bad! I'm so excited; can't wait to get the thing! Thanks for the help, fellas. I can always turn to you guys. *Group hug* :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry didn't get to mention this before but Calvin does have a small stash of the G2 compatible LED heads, but I think you got a great deal and now you know why so many of us respect Calvin.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts