AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so one of the sales people at cabelas told me that the polymer mags for the ar15 melt quite often
he said that even if you slow fire (1 round every couple of seconds) that mag feed lips will melt.
now i have had some people at cabelas say some REALLy stupid stuff to me and i dont ask them questions anymore. all i did was ask if they carry any polymer mags and he said "you dont want that"
well anyways have you guys ever seen this first hand from a gun that isnt full auto. i can see how it could happen from a full auto gun but with normal use it just doesnt seem right.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just spit lemonade all over my keyboard. P-Mags don't melt like that. You'd need to do a LOT of mag dumps to get it hot enough to melt them. As in I'd be more worried about warping the barrel than my mags.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess it would depend on the brand you got.

http://www.ttellc.net/pmag.htm
"After talking with a former Navy Seal, and private contractor, the point of heat was brought up. More precisely, the mags resistance to the heat. It was pointed out that many times in Iraq, Kuwait, heck even Arizona, gear is left in a Humvee, often times for hours, where the temperatures inside the vehicle can easily reach 140F. The metal USGI mags don’t have a problem with the heat, but the pmags are made of plastic, and plastic would obviously have a lower failure point. I just don’t know where that is. So with that in mind, I commandeered the kitchen and decided to do some cooking with the Pmag. Two hours at 200F should be enough right? I mean surely if it is going to fail, it will do it at this time. I don’t even think it’s possible for the inside temperature of a car to reach 200F, but that’s beside the point. The Pmag held up to the heat. No warping, no melting, no deformation, no problems. At this point I was hungry, so I put the mag back in the oven and baked some cookies at the same time. Again, with the same results, the Pmags stood up to the heat."

If I remember correctly you get a lifetime warranty with Magpul Products, so I wouldn't be overly concerned.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BS
Why on earth would an engineer allow for a material that will fail that easily
IGNORANCE I bet he thinks polymer framed guns will do the same

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have used Orlites in the past and now Pmags I intentionally did a 3 mag dump, bump firing as fast as I could with my old Bushmaster Dissy with the last mag used being a Orlite, no problem, no melting, lots of white smoke rolling out of the handgaurd and the barrel was white and ashy looking. I'm convinced. The Pmags are head and shoulders above the orlites. If you are talking about the old Eagle industries mags that supposedly fit either AR's or Mini 14's I can believe they would melt as I've seen a couple of them self destruct.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know the Orlite one's had fragility issues (poly mix not being correct causing them to be prone to cracking if dropped or slammed to hard) but Pmags don't have that issue. They're basically the same thing MagPul makes their stocks and such out of.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know the Orlite one's had fragility issues (poly mix not being correct causing them to be prone to cracking if dropped or slammed to hard) but Pmags don't have that issue. They're basically the same thing MagPul makes their stocks and such out of.
that proves just the oppsite of the melting issue
if they are brittle then they are way way way below Tg (glass transition temperature)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe that at one time there was a bad batch of Thermolds that would melt a bit with extended full auto firing.

I have used the Orlites for years, and not had a problem with heat. Extreme cold is another story though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to be doing a bit of testing with the Pmags and my Armalite mid length this winter as I have heard rumours that the midlength is less reliable in cold climates than a standard carbine length action, something I dont believe but will put to the test anyway just to improve my confidence in the weapon and mags.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok thats what i thought. im sure if you tried you could melt one in your gun like how the guy with the ak set is hiandguards on fire. these arnt some cheap knockoffs they are quality mags im sure when they made them they made sure they could withstand normal operation

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't speak for Pmags because I have never tried them, but I do have Pro-Mags for my AK... no problems whatsoever.

This story sounds BS to me. If the dash of a car could hold up to heat, why not PMags?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mags in question are the Canadian Thermold mags

Taken from Troy's Mag FAQ

[3-2-2-2] Canadian Thermold 30s
-------
The Canadian military licensed the Thermold design, but did not use Zytel as the polymer, using a less expensive plastic as a substitute.
This was not a wise decision, and the Canadian military had problems as a result. The most famous problem was the feed lips melting when their ARs were fired for extended periods on full auto (especially with blanks), leading the Canadians to dub the magazines "Thermelts". The other common problem was the mags splitting or cracking in cold temperatures or when dropped. After Desert Storm, the Canadian military changed to USGI aluminum mags, which are now standard issue.

http://magfaq.tripod.com/mags2.htm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You lost me when you said "a gun in Cabela's...............". You'll never go wrong by ignoring them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok simple question, are we talking after going through 600 chain fed rounds in a saw, needing ammo and slamming in a polymer mag? If thats the case, yeah I could see that (a reason I don't know anyone going to Iraq with PMags) but umm, did the guy at cabela's think you wanted to send it to Iraq?

My .02
Tim

P.S. why would with blanks make a difference? I would think those would be less hot... guess I don't understand blanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok simple question, are we talking after going through 600 chain fed rounds in a saw, needing ammo and slamming in a polymer mag? If thats the case, yeah I could see that (a reason I don't know anyone going to Iraq with PMags) but umm, did the guy at cabela's think you wanted to send it to Iraq?

My .02
Tim

P.S. why would with blanks make a difference? I would think those would be less hot... guess I don't understand blanks
he said even slow fire semi auto1 round every second or 2 would melt them

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

My .02
Tim

Mags in question are the Canadian Thermold mags

Taken from Troy's Mag FAQ

[3-2-2-2] Canadian Thermold 30s
-------
The Canadian military licensed the Thermold design, but did not use Zytel as the polymer, using a less expensive plastic as a substitute.
This was not a wise decision, and the Canadian military had problems as a result. The most famous problem was the feed lips melting when their ARs were fired for extended periods on full auto (especially with blanks), leading the Canadians to dub the magazines "Thermelts". The other common problem was the mags splitting or cracking in cold temperatures or when dropped. After Desert Storm, the Canadian military changed to USGI aluminum mags, which are now standard issue.

http://magfaq.tripod.com/mags2.htm

Who believes anything a counter person at a chainstore says ? ;)

Only polymer mags that I've heard melting are the ones I stated above...the Canadian Thermolds refered to as Thermelts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
this reminds me of the salesman at wal mart who told me they were all out of 7.62x39 because all the guys with their AR's bought it up.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts