AR15 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a visible indication on the buffer tube on my stag lower that would tell me if I have a mil-spec or a commercial version?

I've looked and couldn't find anything, but I wanted to throw the question out there just in case there is some kinda indicator on there that isn't obvious

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't think there's any marks, it's simply a size difference. Quick search it appears they use milspec

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think there's any marks, it's simply a size difference. Quick search it appears they use milspec
yep that's what i saw too, but when i was on larue's website, it says that the CTR stock in mil-spec will not fit stag, but on bravo company website it says it will. on magpuls website it doesn't say, it just says if it doesn't fit call us for a replacement... lame!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stag AR's are supposed to be mil-spec. However, if you bought it as part of a kit you may have a gotten a commercial BT. On some commercial BT's there is a slant on the rear edge indicating it as a commercial. Or if you have a set of calipers you could measure; commercial will be: 1.17" mil-spec will be: 1.14".

http://www.magpul.com/pdfs/technotes/ctr/buffertubeid.pdf

ckuplent: I like your location... would that be Eugene??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to Magpul, the commercial tubes sometimes have slanted backs/ends. That could be one place to start.

You don't happen to have calipers, do you?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can tell by looking. If the tube is a bit smaller than the threads - it's mil-spec, if the tube is the same as the threads - commercial.

Commercial

Milspec

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can tell by looking. If the tube is a bit smaller than the threads - it's mil-spec, if the tube is the same as the threads - commercial.

Commercial

Milspec
you rock dude!

it looks like i have a milspec! i don't have calipers. but i don't have a slant on the back end and the tube is smaller than the threads... so it looks like i'm order the milspec ctr! that saves me almost 30 bucks! YES!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stag AR's are supposed to be mil-spec. However, if you bought it as part of a kit you may have a gotten a commercial BT. On some commercial BT's there is a slant on the rear edge indicating it as a commercial. Or if you have a set of calipers you could measure; commercial will be: 1.17" mil-spec will be: 1.14".

http://www.magpul.com/pdfs/technotes/ctr/buffertubeid.pdf

ckuplent: I like your location... would that be Eugene??

why yes, yes it is!!! how'd you know?

and cool pic of the 2. Didn't know that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
why yes, yes it is!!! how'd you know?

and cool pic of the 2. Didn't know that.

I grew up about ~15 miles west of Eugene. I know Hippytown when it's claimed.;)
Even so I'm still interested in moving back up that way... a bit more rural though. I just need this dang decommissioning job to end, then I'll be packing up the family and moving.:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is a $1 little gage for sale on Amazon that lets you tell which kind of tube you have. The gage is made by Tactical Intent, a company that is making buttstocks and rail covers. The gage is dirt easy, cheap and eliminates any question.

You can find it at:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&me=A36ZAOEPX7I0P8]Tactical Intent @ Amazon.com:[/ame]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
According to Magpul, the commercial tubes sometimes have slanted backs/ends. That could be one place to start.

You don't happen to have calipers, do you?
+1 to this and taking measurements...I had the same dillema when changing the furniture on my MP15 and eventually figured out the slant back and the measurement...Don't rely on the holes of the tube as it is seen in magpul's diagram as having only 4 holes for position for the mil spec... My MP15 had a 6 position tube but slanted in the back, hence mil spec...Hope this helps...:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I switched all my AR's to milspec. I was tired of trying to remember which one was which.....one of the better idea's that I had:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts