AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just finished that Remington .308 sniper build and have been wanting a dedicated Varmint gun based on the AR platform. I seriously considered scoping my RRA but man I have to have at least one tac rifle right?

I figured I could just pick up a varmint upper in .223 and only be out $600.00 or less, BUT then it hit me, BUILD one! So I started the research and found a .204 DPMS barrel for $180.00 shipped, yup you read it right, $180.00 shipped, NEW too. A gunsmith from another forum had me call him and he told me that he personaly knows the sales manager for DPMS and he himself is a master dealer for them and the best deal he can get is $190.00. He said I better buy it fast before the place im getting it from finds out their error. I ordered the barrel this morning and when it comes, I will stand it in the corner of the closet until I can get the other parts.

I believe im going to use a DPMS stripped upper without the dust cover or shell deflector. This is a hunting rifle, not a tac rifle and I can get the upper for $85.00 shipped. In order to have 2 complete rifles, I will more than likely pick up a RRA complete lower with the NM 2 stage trigger in it, I really like the trigger in my other RRA.

I promised some remodeling projects to the wifey before I put together another rifle but man this was too good of a deal to pass up! piece by piece, it will emerge :mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You can always remodel the doghouse... since you'll be sleeping there for a while.:twisted:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can always remodel the doghouse... since you'll be sleeping there for a while.:twisted:
LOL... funny how she didnt mind me buying a new shotgun barrel for her last week since deer season starts week after next.

Shes really good about me buying guns but recently drew the line on things. I had to start another bank account and set up a direct deposite to help fund this. She knows about it, she just doesnt know how much I put in there and how much of a derect deposite goes into it :cool:.
Plus im buying a quad in the spring and need some savings for that :mrgreen:.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had to start another bank account and set up a direct deposite to help fund this. She knows about it, she just doesnt know how much I put in there and how much of a derect deposite goes into it :cool:.
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do! ;)

Looks like it turned out well & walked out unscathed... worse that could've happened was have a scuffle w/ the little lady for a few days. Either way, you still have a badass rifle for life! :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As for the "building a whole other AR" thing, I couldn't agree more. I know that part of the draw of the AR15 is its modularity, but I like having individual rifles with dedicated purposes. I have four ARs now and two more lower forgings waiting to be machined... If the sh*t really does hit the fan, having multiple uppers does you no good, but having multiple complete rifles can come in handy. ;)

As for the "suffering the wrath of Momma" thing, I can sympathize. I am self employed, have several bank accounts and I do all the bills every month, so I do have it lucky in that respect. When the boxes are streaming in via USPS/UPS/FedEx, though, I get some evil looks and the whole "Well, I guess it is your money." or the "How many guns does one guy need?" attitude. But I do the same thing when the Victoria's Secret packages and shoe boxes are making a steady stream through the door too... So I guess we're even.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do! ;)

Looks like it turned out well & walked out unscathed... worse that could've happened was have a scuffle w/ the little lady for a few days. Either way, you still have a badass rifle for life! :p
Thats the way I look at it too..lol I keep saying I should be done buying guns but everytime I aquire another one, I tend to find a need for just one more..lol. I told the wife long ago that it surpassed hobby status and has evolved into a sickness. I told myself I would stay at 30 guns, oops.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As for the "building a whole other AR" thing, I couldn't agree more. I know that part of the draw of the AR15 is its modularity, but I like having individual rifles with dedicated purposes. I have four ARs now and two more lower forgings waiting to be machined... If the sh*t really does hit the fan, having multiple uppers does you no good, but having multiple complete rifles can come in handy. ;)

As for the "suffering the wrath of Momma" thing, I can sympathize. I am self employed, have several bank accounts and I do all the bills every month, so I do have it lucky in that respect. When the boxes are streaming in via USPS/UPS/FedEx, though, I get some evil looks and the whole "Well, I guess it is your money." or the "How many guns does one guy need?" attitude. But I do the same thing when the Victoria's Secret packages and shoe boxes are making a steady stream through the door too... So I guess we're even.
I always encourage Vitoria secret purchases :-D
I also started having some things shipped to the office, its safer that way...lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's funny that I should read and reply to this thread this morning. Fifteen minutes ago I got a call from the wife...

Me: "Hello"
Her: "You really have a problem."
Me: "Why? What did I do today?"
Her: "I answered a knock on the door and the mailman and UPS guy were both standing there."
Me: "Sweet!"

Apparently my XD kits arrived along with a new stock for my Savage 10FP! What a GREAT day! Now if FedEx delivers my recent "AR stuff" order, it'll REALLY be a good weekend! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Funny...when I built my AR, I convinced my wife that the expenditures would not be all at once; but they would slowly happen as the rifle evolved.

Well that was the plan, but I got excited just putting together the trigger assembly. In less than a month, part after part continued to arrive from various sources. Then suddenly I was in the kitchen saying...'look, it's done!' I didn't start out with the idea of getting it done ASAP...but I got infected by the BRD. Oh well, she got over it. Now I'm hoping she'll get over the $600 expenditure this month on an M1 Garand. It hasn't arrived yet...but knowing my luck, it will arrive when the Minister of Finance & Sex is in a bad mood complaining about a lack of funds available for home upgrades around the holidays.

Oh well, the doghouse really isn't that bad.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I always encourage Vitoria secret purchases :-D
I also started having some things shipped to the office, its safer that way...lol
You could have them shipped to my office in case she drops by your office for a nooner and seeing the new toy spoils the mood. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[email protected] Tony

Hey, I took the wife to Ganger Mountain for new hunting clothes tonight. So far I bought her an eliptical workout machine, new shotgun barrel, new Rocky hunting boots and all new hunting clothes. On the way home she told me she wasnt sure what to get me for Christmas yet and then told me what she wanted to spend on me. I said, "heck, thats enough to build my new upper." She came back and told me to start ordering the parts or make her a list!

Man I love this woman!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do this as well and now my office manager blackmails me for lunch once a week for her silence. Still a better deal than explaining to the wife why I needed "another this" or "so many of those".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had to start another bank account and set up a direct deposite to help fund this. She knows about it, she just doesnt know how much I put in there and how much of a derect deposite goes into it :cool:.
Plus im buying a quad in the spring and need some savings for that :mrgreen:.
This is a must for any real man. You need to have your own account. An older co-worker of mine told me and its helped tremendeously. Its not good for all of the money to be in one spot anyway.

Btw, what quad are you looking at?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is a must for any real man. You need to have your own account. An older co-worker of mine told me and its helped tremendeously. Its not good for all of the money to be in one spot anyway.

Btw, what quad are you looking at?
Well, normaly the wife doesnt care what I spend or on what. Aiformula will tell you, I wear the pants, she wears the skirts and she an awesome wife.

The quad im going to get is a CanAm Outlander 400 H.O. EFI complete with bumber gaurds, winch, etc...
http://www.can-am.brp.com/en-US/Vehicles/Outlander.400.HO.EFI/Models.htm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is a must for any real man. You need to have your own account.

I have a my own separate account. Which I use for Internet purchases and extra gun/fun money. My wife knows about it and couldn't care less. Her name is actually on the account because when we got married I wanted to share everything. I believe that is a much better way to go if you can work that stuff out......:cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, normaly the wife doesnt care what I spend or on what. Aiformula will tell you, I wear the pants, she wears the skirts and she an awesome wife.

The quad im going to get is a CanAm Outlander 400 H.O. EFI complete with bumber gaurds, winch, etc...
http://www.can-am.brp.com/en-US/Vehicles/Outlander.400.HO.EFI/Models.htm
I understand but its not always a matter if she cares what you spend money on sometimes is just better that she doesnt know at all. For me it was a case of my wife was/still does check our account everyday. Its nothing wrong with that and I'm glad she does because it keeps everything in order. But I wasnt able to surprise her with anything because she saw it coming a mile away.

I didnt mean to come off as be sneaky and hide things from your wife. Thats just wrong. I just meant that guys, and even girls, should have a separate account for whatever.

Nice quad. I'm in the market for a sport quad and the Can-Am 450 has caught my eye but I'm thinking of going with the Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts