AR15 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to get into reloading 223/556 since I already have a Dillon 650 and borrowed a buddies universal decapping die, 223 dies, conversion kit, Super Swage, and casefeeder wheel.

I am trying to figure out an easier way to trim, debur, and chamfer.

I borrowed my buddy's RCBS manual trimmer but it looks like a pain.

Since prices are ridiculous I am sure there are a bunch of people looking to start reloading rifle catridges.

So help us newbies out and post pics or descriptions of your case prep and reloading setups.

223/556 recipes will porbably also be helpful.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
look in the ammo section and do some searches........their are a ton of threads on reloading 223

There are not a whole lot of short cuts for case prep.......it just a necessary evil:rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't say there are tons of threads on 223 case prep but I have read most of them.

I figured having a thread here may get more attention as not everyone reads the ammo section.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I reload with a Dillon 650, too. I've reloaded thousands of pistol rounds, but I reloaded my first batch of rifle (.223) this summer. So, there's my confession. I'm no expert at loading rifle rounds.

Having said all that, I think I'm going to buy and extra toolhead for my 650 for each rifle caliber I intend to load. The first toolhead will only have the sizing/decapping die. After cleaning the cases, I will run them through the machine with only that die prior to measuring, trimming and other case prep. Then, I'll change to the second toolhead with the remaining dies in place - no need to resize them a second time - and finish the rounds.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i use the lee case trimmer and it is made to fit into a drill so that makes pretty easy.
one thing i did that really helped with reloading rifle rounds is to think of it as your doing it for accuracy and performance
where as pistol rounds that are really easy to do its more to save money
doing that made the process not as crappy

also get some sort of spray lube when you resizeing it makes it A TON faster
good luck. it is alot of fun trying to talor a load spesificly for you gun.
also you only need to do a full length resize the first time and then all you have to do is neck sizeing after that and you dont have to trim usually after the first time if you only do neck sizing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
also you only need to do a full length resize the first time and then all you have to do is neck sizeing after that and you dont have to trim usually after the first time if you only do neck sizing
It's a good rule to FL size every time when reloading for the AR15.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a good rule to FL size every time when reloading for the AR15.
Yeah I have been reading alot so I know that for bolt actions you only neck size after firing and for semi auto or if the ammo is for multiple rifles then you do a full case resizing.

I do want to eventually pick up a 308 bolt action but now I am tempted to get a 223 bolt gun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts