AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
For all of you AR experts, what do you see as negatives to a CMMG bargain bin rifle?

Can they be upgraded from a range gun (which I assume they are) to a SHTF rifle?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Well, the semi-negative is that it's basically a franken-AR .. the ones I've seen and the one I have are built on DPMS lowers, nothing wrong there and if I were guessing it's a DPMS parts kit as well. The upper I don't have a ton of details on the parts. The BCG is properly staked (for the staking fanatics).

The gist here.. yeah, it's a fantastic entry level AR. Like all AR's it's a modular system that can be changed around to fit your wants. The CMMG rifles are a great starting platform. For my own, I snagged the 18" barrel with the rifle length gas system with the intention of turning it into an intermediate range support rifle. But with the changing supply they have you'll get options as it goes. I would suggest getting the chromed barrel.

Note that there are some very minor cosmetic blemishes, haven't found that to be an issue personally.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Am certianly no expert on AR-15's but the bargin CMMG' are a great buy.
Mine has a new heavy barrel upper and different stock. By changing arround I have 4 different configerations. The heavy upper will shoot sub 1 inch groups.
Yea mine come with a scratch.
I see no negatives.
Hillbilly Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
The negatives are you have no choice on what brand/model, and the barrels are 1x9 instead of 1x7 twist which can stabilize larger bullets.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
CMMG no longer lists an M4 16" in the Chrome Lined bbl.
only: $625 Used Chrome Line 11.5/5.5 A2
Guess that make my choice easier to build instead of starting there.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I have two. A standard M4 and a HBAR 16". They are not used and are in perfect condition. One has a DPMS lower and the other is a double star. I have been very happy with both of them.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Well if you're not in a massive rush, they cycle through those things pretty fast and the options change weekly it seems. I've been mulling over picking up another 2 or 3 as a Democratic investment :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Well if you're not in a massive rush, they cycle through those things pretty fast and the options change weekly it seems. I've been mulling over picking up another 2 or 3 as a Democratic investment :)
Whew,
I thought maybe that was it...
I am still pretty set on buyin a couple lowers for builds but I wanted to start with an entry level set up to know what the heck I really want. The CMMG was, by far, the best option to do that. I'll wait but I may as well order lowers in the meantime.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
The negatives are you have no choice on what brand/model, and the barrels are 1x9 instead of 1x7 twist which can stabilize larger bullets.
To expand on this. I understand the 1x7 twist for heavier rounds but will that rate shoot the lighter ones properly as well or will it just send them tumbling down range? Lets say 55 or 62 grain? I am assuming the 1x7 twist is good for no less than 69 grain? Correct me if I am wrong for I am by far an expert on this.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
To expand on this. I understand the 1x7 twist for heavier rounds but will that rate shoot the lighter ones properly as well or will it just send them tumbling down range? Lets say 55 or 62 grain? I am assuming the 1x7 twist is good for no less than 69 grain? Correct me if I am wrong for I am by far an expert on this.
1/7 is GTG with 55gr bullets for plinking and practice, perhaps not long range stuff, its the lighter ones that have issues.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Well personally I don't have much issue with 55grn out to about 300m unless it's super windy.

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
Its because like all califoneites, my self included, he is restricted by stupid laws from buying or owning an “ Assault Rifle” and unfortunately an AR-15 is an “Assault rifle” unless you make some expensive modification to it. Alas I have the same problem living in a state that hates gun owners:cry:

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Its because like all califoneites, my self included, he is restricted by stupid laws from buying or owning an “ Assault Rifle” and unfortunately an AR-15 is an “Assault rifle” unless you make some expensive modification to it. Alas I have the same problem living in a state that hates gun owners:cry:
So...the CA Legal AR that I built is a BAD THING or a POS and I should turn it in?

Help me out here. I'm confused. :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
Nice, but how much did it cost, + what mods did u have to do to make it ownable in ca
The more i look at it the more i fall in love, i just cant stop looking and
drooling

1 - 20 of 25 Posts