AR15 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I think I am going to start piecing an AR together before the ban hits.

My question is on the lower.

The local place has a DPMS stripped lower for $98. Is this sketchy or a good deal???

What kind of lower does a quality build need and what brands? Crap. I'm going to have to read up. What about my previous question?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Almost any lower will be fine. If you can get that for $98 plus tax you are doing good. :D

All the other parts will give you the quality you are looking for. The lower is really about looks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read some thread that said there are only four manufacturers of AR lowers. Each distributor just stamps their brand on it. When I had three different ones in front of me, I pick the nicest finish.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's only a handful of forging companies (though is considerably more than 4) but often, each manufacturer will do the final finishing work to them (ie., thread the back of the reciever, parkerize or maybe its' anodizing on aluminum I can't really keep that straight, etc).

Personally, I am really liking the Spike's tactical brand lowers (which is really a LAR) and I own several different ones. The biggest reasons I am liking Spikes' the best is aside from the laser engraving and HK style bullet markings, the finish is Uber dark, there have been no spec problems associated with using various uppers, every magazine I've tried drops free, the price is VERY reasonable for the quality that you get, etc etc etc.

I'm not saying the DPMS you saw is good or bad either way but I've not really had the best of luck with them personally. If it's to spec, it should be just fine though. And the name on the side doesn't mean anything as long as it works.

Best of luck on the build and we'd like to see pictures of it when you get done.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I would have come across a lower for that price I would have bought it on principal alone. Why can I never come across a stripped lower for less than $150. My mojo must suck or something.:roll:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me add that Mega machine co. makes an excellent lower as well. The finish is up there with the best if not the bast and is also very dark black. Matches RRA black really well too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is $235+tax a decent buy on a RRA lower with trigger? I too am looking to star my first build.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is $235+tax a decent buy on a RRA lower with trigger? I too am looking to star my first build.
I paid $140 for my lower, with LPK

$85 - Lauer Custom Weaponry stripped lower ( made by LMT )
$55 - LCW LPK ( likely a DPMS kit )

$485 LMT 16" M4 Complete upper, with CH and PRI Big Latch
$129 BCM M16 Complete BCG
$ 85 BCM M4 Stock kit, with MILSPEC tube, Heavy buffer
$85.2 for 6 Magpul PMAGS

My KAC Rail, Matech BUIS, and Surefire light were a gift :)
I ignored shipping for this post

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let me add that Mega machine co. makes an excellent lower as well. The finish is up there with the best if not the bast and is also very dark black. Matches RRA black really well too.
He isnt kidding! I got a MEGA upper & lower receiver and they are very top notch! Machining is just beautiful and clean and the finish is awesome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts