AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my wife bought me my first AR-15 (a Bushmaster M4A2 clone), and I'm thinking that my first upgrade will be to change out the plastic hand grip. What are the most common aftermarket grips used by you fellas on your weapons? Any advice is appreciated.

Oh, photo of new toy is below:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just got an ERGO in ambidexterous and the Hogue is popular.
I checked out some of the non rubberized types but didnt like em.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My ARs will always wear a Magpul MIAD...

I'm a pretty big Magpul kool-aid drinker/fanboy though. It's good stuff.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have smaller hands, the TangoDown Battlegrip is a good alternative to the stock grip, and not as harsh on the palm.

Bear in mind, unless you want a rubber grip like the Hogue, all the aftermarket ones are plastic as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I enjoy my houge grip, but it doesn't have the rubber that runs up and covers the top of your palm. Some don't like not having that, I've never had any problems with discomfort and prefer the feel of the houge. Maybe try some of your buddies if they have differnet styles or go back to the gun shop and feel the difference in grips if they have a selection.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I enjoy my houge grip, but it doesn't have the rubber that runs up and covers the top of your palm. Some don't like not having that, I've never had any problems with discomfort and prefer the feel of the houge. Maybe try some of your buddies if they have differnet styles or go back to the gun shop and feel the difference in grips if they have a selection.
Thanks for the input, guys!

I have a Hogue wraparound grip on my Beretta M9 and really like it, so I just placed an order for a new AR-15 Hogue grip. And the new grip is shipping today!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bushmaster...I'd change out the internals before the grip. Properly stake the gas key, and upgrade to a better bolt. If its just a plinker, then shoot it till it breaks.

The Hogue rubber grips are nice, as well as the tango down grips. I don't care for the Miad Magpuls, but many seem to like them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i looked at a few different grips for mine and ended up with a hogue. i think you made a good choice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bushmaster...I'd change out the internals before the grip. Properly stake the gas key, and upgrade to a better bolt. If its just a plinker, then shoot it till it breaks.

The Hogue rubber grips are nice, as well as the tango down grips. I don't care for the Miad Magpuls, but many seem to like them.
Thanks for your input, Nikon, but would you care to elaborate on "changin' out the internals", "staking the gas key", and "upgrading to a better bolt"? Please forgive my ignorance, but this is very new to me...

Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your input, Nikon, but would you care to elaborate on "changin' out the internals", "staking the gas key", and "upgrading to a better bolt"? Please forgive my ignorance, but this is very new to me...

Thanks!
Just a few things to do along the way to ensure the weapon runs reliably. Nothing to get too worked up about initially, particularly if its going to be a plinker AR.

This thread is a good start: A day in the life of a BM LE Dealer - M4Carbine.net Forums

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just bought the Magpul grip set (deluxe set). Ccouldn't ask for better.
Couldn't agree more. I like how you can really customize it to your needs plus it has the storage capacity. I keep EoTech batteries in the MIAD and light batteries in my vertical grip. I do wish the MIAD had the rubber feel and the slight finger grooves that my Hogue had but overall I am very happy with the MIAD.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This little thread is an example of why I love this board...
Guy asks an opinion and gets great replys all with no "Poo" flinging!
Try this on some sites and you start the mine's better because debates.
Also, thanks for the M4 carbine link - great info...signin up there next.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Couldn't agree more. I like how you can really customize it to your needs plus it has the storage capacity. I keep EoTech batteries in the MIAD and light batteries in my vertical grip. I do wish the MIAD had the rubber feel and the slight finger grooves that my Hogue had but overall I am very happy with the MIAD.

I'll have to check on this but I'm fairly certain that one of the new MOE grips that Magpul is coming out with this year is going to have a more rubber-like texture to it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts