AR15 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK its finally started here is my new lower now i just need to start getting the funds together for the rest of it.

got my paperwork ready to send off on payday for my SBR tax stamp. sorry about the cruddy pic my camera is broken and i had to use my cell phone

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
next is going to be A3 LMT upper with a 10.5 barrel and carbine gas system unless i can either find one that is gas piston operated or at least learn how to build it that way. still debating a suppressor though. just not sure what i want to put on it in the way of optics.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beautiful, can I ask how much and where?
found it on guns america paid $325.00 shipped and my buddy transfered it to me for free. its has the SOPMOD stock on it add read that it was never fired

next up is an LMT 10.5 upper with either Danial Defense or Troy FF Rails im also considering KAC rails, but havent decided. the DD 7.0 are nice and light

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Start saving up for ammo..

ive already got 8k factory rounds and about 3-4k brass pieces after this project my next big purchase will either be a RCBS or Dillion Progressive press so that i can start reloading at this point it would even be a big saving if i started reloading for 9mm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Before you mail the SBR paperwork to the NFA branch, where it lists caliber, make sure you write the primary caliber you want, and also list any alternate calibers you're interested in so you'll have more options in the future with different caliber uppers. ;-) .22 LR, 45 ACP, and 9mm make better choices for suppression than 5.56 because of the sonic crack inherent to any round traveling much more than 1050 FPS.

I've heard some folks state they have listed multi or all available for caliber and still get approved, however, when submitting a form 1, I have also heard a few examiners send the paperwork back to list the specific calibers. Your mileage may vary.

Also, where it lists barrel and overall length, if you write a minimum length, will also not tie you down to only the length barrel you list on the application/form.

examples:

Caliber:
5.56x45 (primary)
6.8, .22LR, 7.62x39 (alternate calibers)

Barrel Length:
6 inches (minimum)

Overall length:
24.5 inch (minimum)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats some good info thanks i hadn't thought about adding the different Calibers will probably only add .22 and 9mm unless the 6.5 is going to be going for cheap anytime soon.

I had already heard about the length part but its still good info

with the suppressor im not looking to make it supper silent just quiet enough to not need hearing protection and the suppressor im looking at will do that ive got a buddy that has pretty much the same build and its not quite as loud as a un silenced .22

Before you mail the SBR paperwork to the NFA branch, where it lists caliber, make sure you write the primary caliber you want, and also list any alternate calibers you're interested in so you'll have more options in the future with different caliber uppers. ;-) .22 LR, 45 ACP, and 9mm make better choices for suppression than 5.56 because of the sonic crack inherent to any round traveling much more than 1050 FPS.

I've heard some folks state they have listed multi or all available for caliber and still get approved, however, when submitting a form 1, I have also heard a few examiners send the paperwork back to list the specific calibers. Your mileage may vary.

Also, where it lists barrel and overall length, if you write a minimum length, will also not tie you down to only the length barrel you list on the application/form.

examples:

Caliber:
5.56x45 (primary)

Barrel Length:
6 inches (minimum)

Overall length:
24.5 inch (minimum)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

examples:

Caliber:
5.56x45 (primary)

Barrel Length:
6 inches (minimum)

Overall length:
24.5 inch (minimum)
was just recently advised against doing this as it appears that recently the ATF has started rejecting Form 1 applications that are not specific on length and caliber. could be wrong but with a 90 day wait im not sure i want to risk a denial.

I was planning on keeping it a 10.5" barrel anyhow so.

does anyone one here know if i put a 16" .22 cal conversion kit on it for target practice if it would create any legal issues. if so i could always put it on one of my other lowers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Edmond Police chief just signed off on my form 1 so now the long long ATF wait begins. i just know this is going to take forever

at least it will give me plenty of time to get some money together for my upper.

i wish i had the extra cash available to send off the form 1 for my suppressor at the same time but i guess that will have to wait. anyone know of the best deals on 10.5" LMT uppers that has them in stock.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
was just recently advised against doing this as it appears that recently the ATF has started rejecting Form 1 applications that are not specific on length and caliber. could be wrong but with a 90 day wait im not sure i want to risk a denial.

does anyone one here know if i put a 16" .22 cal conversion kit on it for target practice if it would create any legal issues. if so i could always put it on one of my other lowers
TJ, it wouldn't cause a denial. Criminal background or mental issues is what'll cause a denial. If the NFA is starting to object to alternate calibers being listed (this is news to me), it may cause a delay, but on my form 1's I listed primary and alternate calibers (not multi) so as to be specific, and also minimum lengths that obviously I can't drop below. My application was approved about a year ago on my first SBR and was how it was listed. My second SBR was also listed in the same manner maybe 6 months ago and yet was approved also with no delays or denials, but you can list everything however you want it.

As for your question about installing a 16 inch 22 upper on it, as far as I know the lower is what's registered as an SBR and nothing will change that once it's in the database regardless of a longer barrel you put on it, but if your buddy is right on about not listing alternate calibers or minimum lengths, then maybe you'd better just only use the upper you list on the form. Ie., you list 10.5 inch .223 upper, going with a 22LR upper isn't really the same thing is it?

Personally, in knowing how mine are listed and obviously being approved that way, I think your buddy is mistaken, but do what you feel is right. Another way of looking at it, is if you measure the OAL to be used with a collapsible buttstock, and you measure the minimum overall length with the buttstock in the closed position, does that mean you wouldn't be able to ever open it to remain in compliance (or vice versa)?

I don't think so. And why I think your buddy is wrong, but as I said earlier, do what you think is right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts