AR15 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What up ya'll, wanted to say hi. Been into guns since 1973 and looking forward to reading forum topics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Glad to meet you guys, fellow-gun owners. May I give you a bit of my armed / not so armed history? I promise not to bore you and to keep it brief.

I'm a Texan. Born 1953. My Dad was a WWI Marine Officer (Major, highest rank) and fought in (Okinawa and beyond all the way to Japan and participated in the occupation...interestingly enough...of ports. Weird, huh.

I spent 8 years in the Marine Infantry, end of the Vietnam conflict and thereafter. Also, my older brother, who'd done a few years in the Army then joined the Marines. So, I guess we're a Marine family.

My younger brother was a squid. On discharge from the service and after a few years he OD'd on some drug. I don't know and don't car to know which one. I guess the Navy didn't train him in personal discipline like the Marines. Pity that.

When I left the service after 8 years I completed a degree at the University of Texas in the sciences and then applied to medical school at Baylor College of Medicine, in Houston. But I wasn't interested in probing assholes with a gloved finger.

So, I graduated with a Ph.D. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and then spent the next 30 years in commercial medical sciences, mostly clinical chemistry or toxicology, at major pharmaceutical companies. I'm now retired.

With my family (wife and two lovely kids, one girl and one male1, I've done everything I could to both introduce them to firearms and to safety around firearms. My daughter had other things on her mind, mostly boys. But my Son was a rabidly devoured what I taught him. I trained him at 8 on a .22 rifle and before he left for his career he became proficient with arms as powerful as an AR-10 and a Savage .308. He's an excellent shot, as is my wife...with lesser calibers.

I'm happy to join this forum and to learn some things about more modern arms, at my now 68 years. If I ask dumb questions about more modern arms, particularly the AR-15, and the new-to-me electronic sighting devices, PLEASE TOLERATE MY IGNORANCE AND PERHAPS CONFUSION. But also, please respect my need for your advice.

Best,

David W. Walters, Ph.D. (formerly, Captain of Infantry, USMC)
[email protected]
Spring, TX

1 - 3 of 3 Posts