AR15 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oil and water...

(I tried searching for similar posts regarding NJ but didn't find any, so I apologize if this was covered in another thread.)

I recently moved in to NJ, and I am asking for help from any NJ residents who already own ARs. I know the basics:

FID card required (started that process)

16" + barrel
10rd mag capacity
Fixed Stock
No Bayonet Lug
No Flash Suppressor

Now what gets me is the whole "substantially identical" clause that is in NJ laws. How is any rifle legal, since basically all rifles are on some basis substantially identical to the ones listed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You pretty much got the gist of things. I'm not too keen on the whole ''identical'' bit but quite a few manufacturers make NJ legal ARs. Stag, Bushmaster, Colt, and DPMS I know for sure. I have a Stag and its a great rifle. What part of NJ are you in?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks in advance Lazarus!

I was aware that one or two companies made NJ legal ARs, but I'm glad to see that's it's actually more then a few.

Do you know if there are any additional regulations that apply if you wanted to build your own? Outside of having the lower (stripped or otherwise) shipped to an FFL, does NJ have any other specific clauses with builds. I would really like to try and put one together myself, plus cost is a big issue.

I'm in South Jersey near Philly.

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks in advance Lazarus!

I was aware that one or two companies made NJ legal ARs, but I'm glad to see that's it's actually more then a few.

Do you know if there are any additional regulations that apply if you wanted to build your own? Outside of having the lower (stripped or otherwise) shipped to an FFL, does NJ have any other specific clauses with builds. I would really like to try and put one together myself, plus cost is a big issue.

I'm in South Jersey near Philly.

Thanks
No problem. I haven't looked into building one much but that's the bulk of the AR rules for NJ. Just make sure you don't put a collapsible stock on there. I'm in central NJ. Since you got a HK come visit HKPro.com every once in a while. They have a section specifically for New Jersey and theres a thread going on now with ARs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well you can always go to Pa and buy what you want. The rules are so cryptic who can tell what is allowed or not? Bayonetts make ian ar an assalt rifle, you can buy an sks in nj with a bayonett, but if you get an sks that has a bayonett taking it off makes it illegal... When in doubt just buy a complete one at a nj store...
Welcome from Atco by the way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your that close to philly, just move and build whatever the hell you want
If only it were that simple.... Due to the location of my wife's job, and where I was relocated to for work, PA was not an option unfortunately.

We just bought a house, so we're staying.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If only it were that simple.... Due to the location of my wife's job, and where I was relocated to for work, PA was not an option unfortunately.

We just bought a house, so we're staying.
Then good luck to you and keep up the good fight. Im in California, so I guess I dont have much room to talk. I do keep considering a move to Austin Texas though, that would change a lot of things for me for the better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts