AR15 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,
Just joined the forum here for all of the usual reasons, however I'm hoping for some help trouble-shooting a problem I'm having with my rear pivot pin detent spring--yes, I said spring. I was trying to install a king-pin (California issue only, I understand) which appears to be stuck in it's hole. In other words, when I rotate the buttplate to expose the detent, the spring does not eject from the hole but just stays put and doesn't poke out at all. I applied a little lube before trying some tapping and knocking, hoping that would jar it through whatever was keeping the spring compressed, but I got nothin'. Then I tried to catch the end of the spring in its hole with the long tip of a sharp knife, but I couldn't make that work, either. I'm thinking there might be a small bur or something preventing the spring from springing out, but being that this is my first dance with an AR/M4 in 42 years--the first at age 17 while fooling around in the Army--I rather not have it fubar!

In case it matters, the firearm in question is a Stag 15 M4. Any thoughts on the problem would be much appreciated...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a set of Craftsman steel probes for such.

You can pick up this set at Lowe's or Ace for less than $10.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about a bent paper clip , or, a small screw (to lightly screw into the open end of the spring and pull it out)? Or a real small screwdriver. There should be many tools you might try.
Hi Gary,

I like your small screw idea. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a set of Craftsman steel probes for such.

You can pick up this set at Lowe's or Ace for less than $10.

Hi V.A.,
Thanks so much for your reply. It reminded me of the dental pics I have buried somewhere in the garage. I think I'll give those a try and then move on to Gary's screw suggestion if that doesn't do the trick!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi V.A.,
Thanks so much for your reply. It reminded me of the dental pics I have buried somewhere in the garage. I think I'll give those a try and then move on to Gary's screw suggestion if that doesn't do the trick!
YQW.

I picked up a set of dental picks at a gun show some years back. They worked fine, but I needed something more substantial to hold onto when my hands became increasingly arthritic.

Its Hell getting old.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just starting that hellatious journey at 59, but the only adjustments needed so far have been reading glasses & hearing aids (too much rock n' roll and deep sea diving, apparently), but I'll be sure to keep those dental picks around until I need them again. Oh, and of course the knees went early on, too, as they do for most guys, but what can you do? The arthritis must surely be a -itch, though, and I hope you have some good meds. In the mean time, just keep that trigger finger spry enough to keep Uncle Sam from trying to get his grubby hands on your AR...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can I assume that this isn’t a lower that’s threaded to let you lock the detent spring into place? Aero, and other, lowers come with that, so you don’t have to try as hard once it’s in. In that case, you need a hex key to pull it out if its in there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The proper tools are always the way to go, butt- I never seem to have them and improvise. I once built an AK kit using simple tools, the main once being a BFH (Big Fuckin Hammer), a vice and some homemade tools to do the rivets and install the barrel. May not be perfect, but it is holding headspace and functions perfectly.

I'm older, and what disturbs me the most is that I am finding guns heavier and heavier to lug around. Heck- the AR15 is starting to feel heavy if I have to carry it for any length of time!
I have been known to "make do" with the tools that I have, too, but much prefer biting the bullet and buying the right one, if I can justify it!

And as far as heavy goes, if you've got the time and the means you can make your AR pretty light, alright...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can I assume that this isn’t a lower that’s threaded to let you lock the detent spring into place? Aero, and other, lowers come with that, so you don’t have to try as hard once it’s in. In that case, you need a hex key to pull it out if its in there.
And that's just the kind of advice I was hoping for, Seth! I will definitely run that up the flagpole--thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
And that's just the kind of advice I was hoping for, Seth! I will definitely run that up the flagpole--thanks.
Try a 1/16” hex key. Give it a few twists to see if it bites into a 4-40 set screw. If it does, just back out the screw, and be careful for the spring that’s about to come flying out behind it. It’s a pretty nice feature if you want to finish your lower before putting on the buffer tube, or eventually decide to swap a tube because you need to for a different stock, or something. The spring, detent, and takedown pin will stay put no matter what you’re doing with the back end of the rifle.

Note: Aero, and a few offers, has a few features like that which are non-MilSpec, but awful nice. From a nylon-tipped screw to make the upper and lower join a bit tighter, or a threaded screw for the bolt catch instead of tapping in a pin.

M4E1 Stripped Lower Receiver - Anodized Black

0C8B9FD0-52C8-48F0-A682-4194BFA506F0.jpeg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's great stuff, Seth! Thanks so much, I'll let you know how what happens. Really appreciate it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's great stuff, Seth! Thanks so much, I'll let you know how what happens. Really appreciate it!
FYI, I think I was wrong on the size of the hex key for the set screw. (I’m nowhere near any tools.) I believe the proper size is .05” or 1/20”. I’m guessing it’s the one that’s just one size smaller than a 1/16” key depending on whatever set you have. I hope I’m right and that’s your issue, because I have no clue how to get a stuck spring out of there. I’m guessing spraying some kind of penetrating anti-seize, letting it soak, then poking around with some praying, and then repeat those steps until I made some progress, is all that I’d know to do. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts