AR15 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That is the correct term, it does work as it should, the price is WAY too high.

Look here for the knock offs if that's the route you really have to go..

http://www.1337tactical.com/shop/productlist.php?typeId=1

You'll find that while this stuff is fine for range use, it's not going to last you as long as the real deal will... There are some that will attempt to debate that with me by saying, well it's lasted fine so far (year later, range only gun) and yeah it might. But I'm a buy once cry once guy and it you take the time, save a little more you'll see that it is indeed worth it.

The caveat is and will be that this is a great way to figure out if you prefer a certain style of optic. I did this with red dots and fake ACOG's.

All my humble opinion of course.. 5 AR's and many thousands of dollars later, just hoping that some won't have to learn the same lessons I did.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I still have one in the parts box. Good rugged red dot. With the cantilever mount shown in the picture on your link it will be a "lower 1/3" co-witness.

Badshot, that is the SPOT not a clonepoint ;) $150 is the price of them new.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As stated, I am new and this is my first AR. I definately plan on spending a lot of time with the iron sights first. I will eventually be looking to add some sort of optic, and was just trying to figure out where to start. I dont even know what all the options are. My rifle will primarily be a range toy, with an occasional coyote hunt thrown in. We usually run the rifle course on the same setup as the handgun course, close range sort of scenarios. Would the red dot "scope" be a bad choice for close range quick target acquisition. Would one of the more open type holo sights be better? I really have no idea. I would rather not spend even $100 dollars on an optic that is not suited for what I need. What do you guys use?

This is almost as bad as picking which rifle to buy to begin with. :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The red dot is "made" for close range quick target acquisition ;)
and it will do fairly well on a coyote hunt.
The SPOT is as "low" as I'd go for an optic.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah the two dominant optics are AimPoint (of which the SPOT is a clone) and the EOTech.. Both are very fast for getting on target at short ranges (sub 50m) Neither are bad for out to around 100m for me. I prefer the EOTech's, hell I have more EOTechs now than I have rifles to put them on for some reason :) Throw a magnifier behind either the AP or EOT and you can be very effective with either out beyond 300m..

Still, you get what you pay for. And again I will rant on about learning your iron sights well before getting any sort of optic. There are many folks who run entire courses (fought many a' war) with just iron sights. Are they as fast to use as an Optic, not really, but they are what will be there when Murphy decides you were too cheap to buy good batteries, or even when the batteries have offended him some how :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts