AR15 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting down the path of figuring out the next rifle project later this year. My thoughts are I need something scoped. Some history, I currently own 2 AR's an AK and Ruger M77 7MM MAG. Neither of the AR's are really scoped one is an A2 the other an A3 M4 Colt 6920 16" with an EoTech.

I'm considering the following:

M1A
FAL
AR10 (Not impressed with AR10)
Bolt Action .308
or
a Colt Accurized Rifle in (5.56)

I'm leaning toward the Colt Accurized Rifle just because I have two other rifles in the same caliber. The primary use is varmit/small game but for a few hundred dollars I can mount a comb on the A2 with a scope and just use it instead.

I hunt mostly varmits and elk so I'm struggling on why I would purchase a .308 other then it would be nice to have. My concern is the .308 would become a safe queen and not get shot.
I have no experience with .308 other then I've shot a M1A a few times. I was considering an M1A with a scope and potentially a can and bi-pod.

Does anyone hunt with their .308 if so what type of game?

So what are your ideas, thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You can hunt all North American game outside of the larger bears with a .308

It will take down deer, elk, moose, and caribou.

Get a nice bolt gun in .308

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your a handloader, you can load all the way down to 110 grain bullets for a .308 although I prefer the 125's because they carry a hight BC. Mine is tacticool but will be doing time going after coyotes and groundhogs. Im also currently building an AR thats got a 24" barrel and chambered in .204 Ruger that will be a my true long range groundhog gun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been wanting a .308 too - thinking something like this rifle would be a great place to start :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm starting down the path of figuring out the next rifle project later this year. My thoughts are I need something scoped. Some history, I currently own 2 AR's an AK and Ruger M77 7MM MAG. Neither of the AR's are really scoped one is an A2 the other an A3 M4 Colt 6920 16" with an EoTech.

I'm considering the following:

M1A
FAL
AR10 (Not impressed with AR10)
Bolt Action .308
or
a Colt Accurized Rifle in (5.56)

I'm leaning toward the Colt Accurized Rifle just because I have two other rifles in the same caliber. The primary use is varmit/small game but for a few hundred dollars I can mount a comb on the A2 with a scope and just use it instead.

I hunt mostly varmits and elk so I'm struggling on why I would purchase a .308 other then it would be nice to have. My concern is the .308 would become a safe queen and not get shot.
I have no experience with .308 other then I've shot a M1A a few times. I was considering an M1A with a scope and potentially a can and bi-pod.
Does anyone hunt with their .308 if so what type of game?
Deer. Also i just found out michigan has a 5 year guarantee for bear permits. If i apply 5 years in a row the 5th year i get a permit automatically. otherwise its lottery. Also we have a minor wild boar problem in allot of counties the last few years, i can shoot as many as i can find.

Havent looked into Elk but there are allot in the michigan upper penninisula, and northern lower penn they are their but not great numbers.

Thats why i want a .308. That and sniping UN storm troopers, or mexicans and all sorts of illegals, or rioters in a SHTF.

your kinda the same spot as me. Though i dont have any ARs, and i have a sks not an AK. I have budgeted for 2-3 rifles this year. I have been looking at a .308 DSA FN fAL, I THINK i have settled on a sig 556 for my .223 rifle. I am on the fence about getting a .308 bolt action.

As cannibul said you can kill just about all north american game short of a grizly bear with a .308 or a 30-06 since your looking at bolt actions.

I might have to get 3 rifles, but i was trying to figure out a way i can be happy with 2 rifles, and get dual use of of one or more of them, then have more money to trick out with accessories right away and buy more ammo right away.

After you kill some tasty piggies or get a few nice elk mounts on the wall i doubt you will let a .308 be relegated to safe queen.

Look at some .308 stats, it has almost the same velcity as a .223, but it has twice the ft/lbs at impact. That out to convince you, that you NEED one.:mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
eh, get the bolt action. i got a remy 700BDL .308 my grandpa gave me. great rifle, accurate as heck. though i wouldn't mind a semi to shoot all this mil-surp ammo he gave me, stuff is still on a belt, every third round has an orange tip. told me not to shoot it through my rifle though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So here is how I see it:

1) Bolt gun -
These things are cheap and sub-moa right out of the box. I am currently looking at this one, only $550:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62/products_id/14489

Stainless barrel, and 300 Winchester Magnum. I would go 300 Magnum just because it gives that extra kick and is pretty much good for everything. Also to me .308's are boring since I already own 3 .308 semi auto's.

For optics, I would choose a Burris Extreme Tactical. I am really impressed with these but at about $900 they are a little pricey. If you don't want to spend that much, for about $500 the Burris Elite is also a dam fine alternative.

Later you can add a McMillan or other high end stock to suite your needs. For me I will probably stick with the factory stock.

2) AR-10
I only chose this one #2 because you said you wanted to scope it. AR-10's are easy to scope and they are very accurate. Armalite states they are 2 MOA or better with good ammo. A box stock AR-10 should probably be about 1 MOA with Federal GMM. AR-10's are also very reliable (well at least mine is) and ofcourse they have the great AR ergo's.

3) FAL
Fairly easy to scope. Only need a DSA top rail cover that will run you about $90. But the FAL is not accurate (mine) as the piston system they use is inherently not accurate. I have heard some stories of accurate FAL's but in general it is accepted that an FAL is not a precision weapons. Mine shoots about 2 MOA with FGMM. Everything else it is about 3-6 MOA. FAL's are rugged and is my primary SHTF weapon, but for a Precision weapon I would look elsewhere.

4) M1A
These things are very hard to scope, then once you scope it you will have cheek weld problems. My M1A is sub MOA with FGMM and has the proper cheek weld, but then again it took much dough to get it to this. I have mostly USGI parts (bolt, oprod, trigger group), a Marstar stock (basically it free floated the barrel), and a SS barrel. I would not go the M1A route because it will be expensive once you get set up the way you want. You have to figure about $2000+ for the rifle, mcmillan stock, and a quality scope mount.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
.... Im also currently building an AR thats got a 24" barrel and chambered in .204 Ruger that will be a my true long range groundhog gun.
dam that sounds nice! dam just when I thought I would not need anything else, you just gave me one more thing to think about so I can't sleep at night. :( :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just bought (well layawayed since I am out of the country currently) my 308 I went with a custom DPMS 308. I have since spent more than I care to know on it. Leupold mark4 6.5-20x50 ill TMR, Larue mount, harris bipod, MAGs (10 ontop of the 2 that come with it, since I plan on buying a shorter barrel 308 here soon as well). Then I bought a magpul PRS and will putt eh ACE stock on the shorter barrel. All in all, this will be my most expensive gun. now to wait the 30 more days till I get home.

I was going to look for a boltaction, but figured the gunwould easily outshoot me, this one was a dam good trade off, I think I am up to par to use the gun adaquatly, and like menitoned before, its a semi.

Picture:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You will either love or hate that muzzle brake on it. They do a great job on recoil but they make the gun seem 10x louder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts