AR15 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an AR-15, stag arms A3 16" carbine.
It has a flip up rear sight and a fixed front sight. This is not a nail driver, it will hold a 2 MOA to 2.5 MOA with wolf ammo. Not sure what it will do with good brass, havn't reloaded any yet waiting for my new dies.
The question here is what is the best tactical set up?
I have a limited budget and want to shot in an USPSA rifle shot.
Where's a good place to start? Red dot or Holographic?
Forearm grip or not? Laser if they are allowed?

Where can I get a riser that will let me still use my iron sight in case of optics failure, but will let the optic see over the front sight?

I have a tri rail, it is to tall and the back sight won't sight through the optics. If I take the rail off the optics has the front sight right in the middle of the view?

Thank you in advance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Have you read up on ARFCOM?

I do not know much about what you are looking to do.

I do know that all ammo besides wolf is going to get you better results. ;)

Kent

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would suggest to you that you hold off getting anything. Look for a local USPSA 3 gun or carbine match in your area and go shoot with your basic setup (irons). Check out the rules United States Practical Shooting Association and see what class you want to shoot in. Ask the other shooers their opinion on different set ups. You'll get a better idea of what you want.

To answer some question: Forearm grip is great for controlling a full auto, but you will not see it in a 3 gun match for meny reason.
Lasers are not allowed in USPSA.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

To answer some question: Forearm grip is great for controlling a full auto, but you will not see it in a 3 gun match for meny reason.
Thank you this will help, there is a shoot in my area in may or june. Long time to wait for an asnwer, but I will look up videos of the rifle shoots and maybe look at the different classes and have some fun on the range to find out what will fit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, although a red-dot or a holographic gives you better target aquisition and all that B.S. You will be stuck with shooting in the "open class". Which means that most others in open class are shooting fully equiped Race Pistols with optics along with shotgun and there rifle with optics.

So considering that, you may want to just practice a little more with the irons. But if you do have a Race Pistol, and are used to shooting in an "open class", then i myself would go with an Eo-Tech with the circle/dot reticle. I would use the Eo-Tech because when you shoulder the rifle there are no worries about adjusting your cheek position or positioning yourself to look through the tube. With the Eo-Tech you shoulder it, find the designated impact area and squeeze.

Blake.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would suggest to you that you hold off getting anything. Look for a local USPSA 3 gun or carbine match in your area and go shoot with your basic setup (irons). Check out the rules United States Practical Shooting Association and see what class you want to shoot in. Ask the other shooers their opinion on different set ups. You'll get a better idea of what you want.

This is simply NOT TRUE. At least 1/2 the competitors use vertical grips at the matches I attend. Some even use them as monopods. I find that I can get a tighter hold for long range offhand shots.

As far as optics...it depends....whatever you choose will determine what class you are put in. Scopes will help on the long range stuff, but slow you down on the CQB stages. Dot style Optics make the long range stuff difficult.

If you go the scope route, get one with a 1 power base. i.e. 1X4 etc

I have chosen to compromise. I use an Eotech and take the 3X magnifier off and on depending on the stage. This puts me in the "Tactical" class.

My buddy has a scope with a dot site mounted on top of it (personally, I dont like this option)

You should read this: What's The Best Rifle Sight? - Brian's Forums... Maku mozo!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as optics...it depends....whatever you choose will determine what class you are put in. Scopes will help on the long range stuff, but slow you down on the CQB stages. Dot style Optics make the long range stuff difficult.

If you go the scope route, get one with a 1 power base. i.e. 1X4 etc

I have chosen to compromise. I use an Eotech and take the 3X magnifier off and on depending on the stage. This puts me in the "Tactical" class.
I admit to not competing in these types of matches so I know little about it because there's nothing close enough for me to drive for that.

But where optics are concerned, my question is, if you're going to be shooting at both close and medium ranges, why not a 1.5-6 power scope? I've been using a Barska Huntmaster (or Hunter pro I can't remember) for varmint hunting and it does pretty good for that. Matter of fact that's the reason that I chose that magnification power range because of the varied distances I'm shooting. My terrain won't offer shots much more than 150 yards so the 1-6 does nicely.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Red dot all the way. I use an Eotech, with a std front sight and a flip rear. Let it cowitness and dont worry about the riser, it is much more natural shooting that way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I'll speak directly to the VFG and then the EOTech .. The VFG will absolutely improve your ability to maneuver the weapon and make your shooting more stable. Even a lot of us who had been using the front of the mag well as a pseudo VFG have made the switch to running a VFG all of the time. Give it a try by making a fist, put your hand under HG like you're holding a VFG, pretty easy to understand why that Boxer like stance is more stable.

Now for the EOT... The choice between the EOT and AimPoint (single dot) is a completely personal preference. For me, sub 100M it's faster to get on target especially from odd positioning, canted to the side around a barrier and such. To compensate for longer range shots I use LaRue Po'Boys.. 2.5x Henstoldt magnifier and the LaRue Flip-To-Side mount. This is a very effective combination for me personally out to around 400m. Beyond that I like to switch to a different rifle all together. But with the FTS mount, the magnifier is quickly disengaged. I'd say it's faster than dialing up or down the 1-4x optic I have on another rifle. You'll lose a bit of field of view with the Po'Boy vs. the AP or EOT dedicated magnifier, but at 1/2 the cost (some times not even counting the mount cost for the AP/EOT mags) it's an excellent alternative.

What I'm finding though is with the height of the LaRue FTS mount, I have to add a riser to get the sight picture to not have an edge of the EOT hood in the picture. Not a big deal, but something to note.

You can do just about everything you stated you want to be able to do with a stock AR.. use the Iron Sights (make sure you're good with those regardless) and the mag well as your VFG, you'll want gloves for that by the way.

As for clearing the FSP .. at anything beyond 2x you'll not even notice it's there. For the EOT, I still don't notice it because my focus is on the center dot and the target, maybe my brain just processes the FSP out of the picture for me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
+3 on the VFG

I have a Tangodown and it makes going around tight corners alot faster.

It also comes in handy for a pressure switch if you toss a light on it.

You will see some guys with FF tubes and no VFG but those are the guys who build the AR only for 3 Gun and have comps, variable scopes, yada yada yada. They will typically lay the FF on top of a barrier if there are alot of targets along the same line.

It's a preference thing.

I also shoot wolf out of my 16" and it's not ultra accurate but unless I am doing an international rules 3 Gun match with over 100 yard shots it is fine.

Most people refer to Wolf's accuracy as minute of pieplate so it's probably not the rifle.

I do agree that you should get used to iron sights and maybe even shoot a few matches with them

While you are at the match you can make friends and checkout their rifles and optics.

I can't think of any gun enthusiast who doesn't like to talk and show off their toys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts