AR15 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
well i have a hogue free float on my ar and the railed gas block is to tall so i cant get the free float off without removeing the gas block.
well i dont want to pull it off some day and find that the barrel has rusted.
i imagine that the oil would most likely burn off due to the heat but i dont know.
so i dont want to remove the gas block everytime to oil under there. i dont use the rail on it anymore now that i have a scope on it. so i guess i could get a low profile gas block so i could unscrew the forward section and that would let me have access to the barrel under the free float

oh and im not talking about removing the whole free float just the forward 3/4 of it. that un screws from the base of the free float leaving about 3-4 inches still attached to the upper

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
If you have a quality barrel that is well and evenly coated with Manganese Phosphate, you do not need to worry so much about rust.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
its a CMMG upper
i dont know the exact coating thats on it but its like a dark grey
but being a reputable brand i imagine its ok. i was just thinking about it so i figured i would ask

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
i imagine that the oil would most likely burn off due to the heat but i dont know.
imho, you are correct. at least i hope so, as i have never applied oil under my hand guards....the manganese phosphate should have you covered wrt rust protection, as stated previously

1 - 5 of 5 Posts