AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the sickness has spread. i am going to build a sbr and know what to get from the atf. but looking for opions on what to use to build one. as far as upper parts, lowers, just get the basic gun started. along with a decent silencer to go with. and i want be able to trust it if i have to use for home defense or at a match.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I highly recommend Noveske for SBR AR's. They use polygonal rifling and extended feed ramps with their match chamber on every barrel. One of my coworkers built an SBR with a noveske 7.5'' and their fire breathing pig up front. It's on a DPMS lower/RRA A4 upper and a RRA 2 stage match trigger. I dare say it's the sweetest AR i've ever fired. Next to the full auto ones at least.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll help you out with info as much as i can, but i am no expert. i am waiting to find out if my form 1 has been approved. First thing you need to figure out is what your looking for in an SBR. I want a can eventually and want a piston retrofit. Because of this, the minimum I could go was 10.3" The piston system i want to use only works on carbine length gas systems, and most cans (silencers) are only good on 10.3" or longer. So I am going to use a CMMG 10.3" upper. If Noveske did a 10.3"'er, I'd jump on that in a second!

Once I decided on what I wanted, I drew up a trust so I wouldn't have to go thru the fingerprinting and LEO sign off. No problem really for me as a deputy sheriff, but I just don't have the time as i sleep days and work evenings. Once I was done with the trust, i completed a form 1 i downloaded. Then I signed a check for 200 bones and sent it off. Now waiting to hear back. oh yeah, you will need to get your reciever engraved per ATF regs too.

Can't wait to get all my stuff lined up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll help you out with info as much as i can, but i am no expert. i am waiting to find out if my form 1 has been approved. First thing you need to figure out is what your looking for in an SBR. I want a can eventually and want a piston retrofit. Because of this, the minimum I could go was 10.3" The piston system i want to use only works on carbine length gas systems, and most cans (silencers) are only good on 10.3" or longer. So I am going to use a CMMG 10.3" upper. If Noveske did a 10.3"'er, I'd jump on that in a second!

Once I decided on what I wanted, I drew up a trust so I wouldn't have to go thru the fingerprinting and LEO sign off. No problem really for me as a deputy sheriff, but I just don't have the time as i sleep days and work evenings. Once I was done with the trust, i completed a form 1 i downloaded. Then I signed a check for 200 bones and sent it off. Now waiting to hear back. oh yeah, you will need to get your reciever engraved per ATF regs too.

Can't wait to get all my stuff lined up.
what do you need engraved on it? like what does the engraving say?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
from what i understand; name, city, state
example in my case (not using my own name) ->
Bob's Revocable Trust, Merietta, GA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
umm, you don't need to engrave anything, at least not in New Mexico. SBR is the one type of NFA item that you can undo. A short letter to the ATF and your lower receiver is now a regular rifle so you can replace the barrel back to 16 or longer and sell the gun as usual.

Noveske makes a 10.5'' Noveske Rifleworks, LLC. Precision Battle Weapons.=

I don't see why the extra .2'' would make any dfference.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Short barrel rifles are extremely loud, and wear the internal parts much faster than a 16 or 20 inch rifle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
umm, you don't need to engrave anything, at least not in New Mexico. SBR is the one type of NFA item that you can undo. A short letter to the ATF and your lower receiver is now a regular rifle so you can replace the barrel back to 16 or longer and sell the gun as usual.

If you start with a stripped lower and use a form 1 to "make" an SBR, you DO have to engrave it. All firearms have to be engraved with the manufacturer's name and location... With a Form 1 SBR, YOU are the manufacturer. I also did mine with a trust, and the lower is engraved with my trust name, city and state.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Per ATF, you must engrave the reciever. That is federal law, not state law, so if you live in NM you still have to engrave the SBR. If you don't believe me, fine, I suggest you contact the ATF and as for a response in writing. If you get the answer you believe is correct, then KEEP that paper (or copy) with your weapons all the time.

With a letter to the ATF, your SBR can become an standard receiver, but is NEVER removed from the NFA registery. It's just noted that the SBR is no longer an SBR. The serial number will remain on the registery till the end of time.

Hardwarz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to verify what others have said, with a Form 1 you absolutely do have to engrave the gun with your name (or trust's name), city and state. You need to put it in a visible spot on gun. The exact verbiage escapes me, but it's something like "receiver, barrel or frame", though I recommend the frame because then you can use multiple uppers without engraving each one. There are minimum height and depth requirements as well.

I would actually recommend having a company build an upper for you. They'll build it and test it for function. Otherwise you might have to work at making it cycle reliable. Someone mentioned Noveske. Other options could be DPMS, CMMG, even POF or LWRC depending on how much you want to spend and how long you want to wait.

I went with a 7.5" AR and love it, but I might get an 11.5" "Commando" length A2 upper just for another option and the fact that I like the look.

Lots of us here don't mind answering questions about our Form 1 projects, so if you have something specific you want answered, just ask!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll have to ask the guy that did it but I would have sworn there was no engraving that had to be done. Sorry if i'm wrong, don't mean to be sending out false info on such an importatnt topic.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll have to ask the guy that did it but I would have sworn there was no engraving that had to be done. Sorry if i'm wrong, don't mean to be sending out false info on such an importatnt topic.
It ain't no thang Fen. Now you don't need to engrave the reciever if you go to a class 3 dealer and purchase a SBR from them, because its already engraved with the manufacturer data. But this is only if you go and by a premade SBR.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It ain't no thang Fen. Now you don't need to engrave the reciever if you go to a class 3 dealer and purchase a SBR from them, because its already engraved with the manufacturer date. But this is only if you go and by a premade SBR.
Yup...

Form 1, you're the manufacturer. You need to engrave it.

From 4, someone else is the manufactuer. You're transfering it to you and it should already be engraved.

Hardwarz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Back to the OP...

the sickness has spread. i am going to build a sbr and know what to get from the atf. but looking for opions on what to use to build one. as far as upper parts, lowers, just get the basic gun started. along with a decent silencer to go with. and i want be able to trust it if i have to use for home defense or at a match.
Facts:
You're going to build it, therefore you're the manufactuer.
You're going to use a revocable living trust.

Unknowns:
What caliber?
What butt stock?

Information you'll need on a form 1 (you're building the SBR):
Name of trust
Caliber of weapon
Overall lenght of weapon. (if using a collapsible stock, stock is extended and measured to the end of the barrel WITHOUT the flash hider attached)
Manufacturer of the lower's name.
Manufacturer of the lower's city and state
Manufacturer of the lower's serial number
Your engraving information (Name of trust, city and state)

You'll need to order forms from the ATF website such as the Form 1.

This is just the start.... I'll get you more information when I get back from lunch. lol

Hardwarz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok that makes sence about the engraving. so if you buy it compleated then its allready engraved

1 - 20 of 69 Posts