AR15 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions or comments on the components I'm using?

Doublestar Star-15 Lower 5.56/223
RRA LPK with RRA NM 2 Stage Trigger
Ace Socom M4 Stock
CMMG Upper 16" MedCon Barrel (Mid length gas system)
YHM Lightweight Mid Length Free Float rail handguard
YHM Flip Up Rear Sight (YHM-9680)
A2 Front sight

I already have the lower and the LPK/2 Stage trigger, but the other components I'll be ordering in another week or so. I plan to cowitness with some kind of optic down the road, but for now I'll just use the iron sights. This is my first AR, and rather than buying a cheaper model to start with, I figure I'd just spend some more money and get it the way I want from the start. I found the AR15.com build instructions as well as a video detailing the steps, so it looks relatively easy. The upper I'll be buying complete from CMMG.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
That list looks pretty good. - I assume you are using a CMMG bolt?

Good luck on you build:cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
That list looks pretty good. - I assume you are using a CMMG bolt?

Good luck on you build:cool:
Yup, I'm going with just their standard bolt/carrier. I see they have upgraded options available, but that'll come down the road if at all.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Well I sort of changed the components on my build. They are now the following:

Doublestar Star-15 Lower 5.56/223
RRA LPK with RRA NM 2 Stage Trigger
Ace Socom M4 Stock
CMMG Upper 16" Gov't Barrel (Mid length gas system)
YHM Lightweight Mid Length Free Float rail handguard
YHM Flip Up Rear Sight (YHM-9680)
YHM-9584 Gas block flip up sight
Aluminum Quad Rail Gas Block

The upper is on order with CMMG, but the barrel is on backorder. They say another 4 weeks so I'm hoping it doesn't go longer. My friend is going 8+ weeks on his RRA upper already, and they initially told him 6 weeks.

My friend built up the lower this past last night. Pretty simple job. It took us 1.5 hours but we took our time referencing videos and this thread: AR15.COM :: Forums :: Assemble your own LOWER, UPPER, FREE FLOAT, TRIGGER, GAS BLOCK - Step by step instructions!. I only made one booboo, and slightly scratched the ears for the bolt catch. I had wrapped my plyers with electrical tape, but I guess not enough. It's very slight and hardly noticeable, but a rookie mistake :oops: Without further adeu:

I'm glad I went with the 2 stage trigger upgrade. It feels really slick and I can't wait to shoot the sucker.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a good build! The only thing I'd change is from this;
To a GG&G A2 or Arms 40L.
+1

I like the ARMS 40L over the YHM sights. The ARMS will fold down lower, deploy faster, and I just dont like the big thumb screw on YHM products. I also feel that the ARMS is a better made product. IMO they are worth the extra $20, or look at the EE on AR15.com they usually sell used for around $90.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Any particular reason you like those two sites better?
For basically the same reasons as noobshooter. I have the GG&G A2 and love it although I almost bought the ARMS 40L.
I'd try to look at the YHM and one of these other buis side by side and then make up your own mind.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
IMHO Troy makes the best folding rear buis, simple and STRONG.
It's a back up site, you don't really need an A2 type site with range adjustments out to 600-800 yards ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
I'm more than happy with my YHM folding front and rear sights, they fold low enough for the Holosight and if I mount a scope I'll have a scout rail on it anyway to get it far enough forward so clearance wont be a issue. I'm no operator and not likely to face combat anytime soon. Sights on my 16" Armalite middy are regulated for 200 yds and hold their zero what more can I expect.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
IMHO Troy makes the best folding rear buis, simple and STRONG.
It's a back up site, you don't really need an A2 type site with range adjustments out to 600-800 yards ;)
Yeah I guess that's why they can charge an arm and a leg for their sights! They look like nice sights, but I don't know if they're worth THAT much more - LOL. I don't have immediate plans for an optic, so I want to get comfortable with the iron sights.

Everything has already been ordered, so I'll have to live with them. If I don't like them, it'll give me an excuse to build another AR :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Nice build, I am going with something VERY similar. I have been thinking about getting the complete CMMG upper over and over again because it seems they are on top when it comes to the details. The only thing that holds me back is how accurate it will shoot compared to a pieced together upper as well as the learning experience that comes with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I've never assembled an upper so I left it to the professionals on this one. One day I'll get all the right tools and try to tackle the project myself.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Got my AR yesterday and I slapped on the sights and the sling:

I can't wait to sight it in this weekend and put some rounds down range. And I need to get more rail covers :D

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
Took the new AR to the range yesterday and I had the hardest time sighting it in. I was using M193 and couldn't get any consistent groups at 50yds and so so at 25 yds. Inspected the rifle and found the gas block was loose and I could rotate it a bit. Since the front sight is on the gas block, this was throwing off my aim at every shot. I was pissed as I had just paid good money for this upper. I didn't have any allen wrenches with me, so I just shot my EMP for the rest of the trip. I got home and backed out one of the set screws, and the set screw was super loose and didn't have any locktite on it at all. When I got the upper, the gas block was tight and didn't rotate so I didn't think to check the screws. I put some blue locktite on the set screws and tightened them up and hopefully it'll hold now. CMMG will be getting a call on Monday about this...

Otherwise, the AR functioned without any hitches. It cycled the M193 and some Guatemalan ammo.

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Gas block was loose?? Left it to the "professionals" huh? You could have done a better job doing it yourself.

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
Talked to Garson at CMMG and it should have been locktited at the factory. He walked me through the process over the phone and it sounds pretty easy. I just need some red locktite. He apologized that it wasn't done properly, I can't really blame him as I have no clue who did it so it's water under the bridge.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts