AR15 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, with all intentions of eventually getting a piston system, I'm assuming the lower receiver won't matter which one I pick as far as fitting them together down the road. I'd like to get a lower or two and get started on assembly before we have to start worrying about any sort of future restrictions. Even if we don't see them, this will give me a bit more motivation to get one together.

Depending on funds, I might just get a standard direct impingement system to start and eventually do the piston system later.

If the lowers are standard for what I want to do, where do I start to research what lower I want? I'm doing as much reading as I can and at the same time, I'll take suggestions, tips, things to avoid, etc.

Thanks for your help.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Forged, not cast! As long as it's forged and machined to spec, it should be good. The only other things to worry about are whether or not you want one with an "auto" marking for the selector switch in addition to "safe" and "fire," and what kind of finish you want on it (color shades don't always match).

These are my learnings from my recent build.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Additional considerations:

Brand markings: some people like their uppers and lowers to match by company. Additionally, some don't like the way certain rollmarks look.

Fit: you should at the very least install an Accuwedge (like this one), or a rear tensioning pin (like this one) to make sure the upper and lower fit tight together and don't wiggle.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'm just about overwhelmed with how many options there are. When I was shopping for my first semi auto, I was feeling this way. I'm at least narrowed down to a specific type of rifle and the choices are unbelievable...:confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Tell me about it :???: This gun is like a Harley-- uniquely yours and never quite finished.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Did a little more looking and I found this guy by Sun Devil: http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=122

It's got a unique nylon set-screw, which I assume works similarly to the Accuwedge, to keep the upper and lower fitting tightly together. That's a neat feature. It's made from Billet aluminum like you mentioned. It looks like it even has the textured finger surface in front of the magazine well like the Mega lowers do.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
I built 5 ar's last year with Superior lowers.Price was great and got a great deal on then from
http://www.rbprecision.com/

The upper to lover fit been unbilevable seems the a little larg had to polish one down to fit the upper.
and two had a mill issue on the mag catch prolly not noticable by the average user but i am picky so a little grinding and it was great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts