AR15 Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes it is expensive. Red Jacket does good stuff, but I believe most of their stuff is overpriced. I watched the last two episodes very closely when they were building that AR. They acted like they came up with the idea of a piston AR. I was wondering when that was gonna get on the site. The funny thing about it, is that Kris was in charge of the build and spent a whole day and night messing around with it because it wouldnt cycle. The whole time he had the gas setting to OFF and couldnt figure out why it wouldnt work.

I'm very happy with my PWS decision, and at $1407.00 from Buds, its tough to really beat it. Cheaper than the $1500 they want for a sig 516 at a local reputable gun store here. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up tuesday.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Holy Crap thats expensive for an Adam Arms conversion!
I just have a hard time envisioning myself purchasing anything from them. Damn near ever other site I have gone to has put multiple pictures of what they are selling. They have a single image, with a large banner over the actual product. I understand they typed out the features, but it seems like they are relying on the popularity of the show to sell the weapon.

Edit: forgot why I got into this thread...I've been looking at a piston AR myself, I'm debating between building a PSA, or splurging and going for a Ruger SR556E. I'm a great fan of Ruger's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I just have a hard time envisioning myself purchasing anything from them. Damn near ever other site I have gone to has put multiple pictures of what they are selling. They have a single image, with a large banner over the actual product. I understand they typed out the features, but it seems like they are relying on the popularity of the show to sell the weapon.

Edit: forgot why I got into this thread...I've been looking at a piston AR myself, I'm debating between building a PSA, or splurging and going for a Ruger SR556E. I'm a great fan of Ruger's.
I've done a lot of research, and was willing to spend about 3k. The PWS MK1 series came up top for me, and is less expensive than a lot out there at less than 1500.

Dmack has a great writup on it over at the hide, and he used the hell out of it: PWS MK114 - Sniper's Hide Forums
Here's an article from tactical life about it: Tactical-Life.com » PWS MK114 5.56mm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Should the cataclysmic end of the world or proverbial, "Crap Hit The Fan", ever happen... :shock:
I would suggest two things...

First, I would go with a firearm that is extremely reliable, easy to maintain, light in weight and extremely popular. I won't get into the reliability issue since that is self explanatory and maintenance is a given with any firearm—you pretty much want something that you can drag through hell and back and will still operate flawlessly. Now I am sure most AK fans are smiling now as the AK-47 fits this description to the "T". However, AR-15 types will work just fine should you properly maintain them...
Now you might ask, why popularity? AK-47's, AR-15's, Glocks....etc....they seem to be extremely popular firearms since the military and L.E. and other countries use them. Should you find yourself needing repair parts for your firearm, I would stick with one that most people carry—busted firearms become spare parts.....
Light weight? Well if you find yourself traveling on foot...you have to carry supplies as well as your firearm...so pack it tight and light...

Secondly, I would go with a firearm that is chambered for NATO rounds (9mm, 5.56, 7.62...etc.). Going back to finding yoursefl in an end of the world situation, most ammunition companies are most likely going to stop manufacturing non-Nato rounds....so.... unless you reload, the only rounds you will find are ones that are still being manufactured for the military....

Now, I don't thing that this type of an event will ever happen in my lifetime but that does not mean that one shouldn't prepare for it...or any natural disaster for that matter.... :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
from what I saw, red jacket's is the closest to an ak system, but I may be wrong.
Everything I've read, PWS resembles the AK system with the long stroke piston.

PWS took a very different and unique approach different than all other AR piston systems. PWS uses a long stroke AK type piston and the piston itself serves as a guide rod to help reduce carrier tilt issues. In addition they also use a buffer tube that helps as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Got it today, and immediately upgraded with the following:

CTR stock
Geissele SD-E
MIAD
Trig ACOG TA33 with larue mount
AFG2
Phase 5 bolt release
Magpul RSA and MS3 sling (I really like this sling, just bought 4 more for my other guns)

This is the PWS MK114 with pinned FSC556 muzzle device.
comes with moe stock and moe grip, and magpul grip panels
Also comes with BCM gunfighter mod 4 charging handle (I think this is necessary as the charging handle is a bit harder to pull back than a DI gun)
Also comes with magpul MBUS back up sights (I took them off)

The gun feels better than any other AR I have handled. Its extremely light and quite the opposite of front heavy. The BCG looks more like a smaller version of whats in my AK. Fit and finish is excellent. theres no wobble between the receivers at all.

**edit** I will post a range report on thursday, and will use a variety of ammo with pictures

G

·
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Great discussion, LuckyStrike asked the same question I've been pondering. It's hard to find a piston discussion that takes the high road, and this was informative.

Congrats on the PWS purchase, looks great.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hi LuckyStrike,

I'm also looking into getting a piston gun. Since you have owned the rifle for a couple of years now. How has the rifle performed for you? Also, would you still recommend the PWS?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Frankly you are looking for a mini 14. A piston kit from Adams Arms has worked best for my ars. Get the bolt carrier also. The Mini does not jam. Stove bolt jam is fairly common in the ak and ars jam also, worse when dirty.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts