AR15 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, thinkin of doin a new build here soon, i already have a 16" Bushy AR, but now im thinkin about buildin a AR Pistol. the thing is, i just bought my bushy off the shelf, so i have like zero experience building one. I can do all the basic stuff to mine, but i have never installed a trigger, removed a front post or gas tube. or any major things like that. AR's seem pretty easy, so im fairly confident i can learn. my biggest question is, what are the differences between the two? (duh pistol/rifle) but when i go to buy everything what stuff do i have to order for a PISTOL vs RIFLE. i would think you would need a shorter gas tube, shorter handguard and shorter barrel and i would think that would be jsut about it. whats the diff with the buffer tubes? also.. last question i swear... would this fall under "handgun" or "rifle"? meaning if i WERE to just buy one off the shelf would it be cash and carry? or 7 day wait?

here is what i have....

and here is what i am aiming for with the new build. (yes in 9mm)

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
AR pistol is the same thing as an AR rifle but with shorter barrel and no stock.

If you're going to build a 9mm, it's going to be a blow back. For a 9mm lower you can use any lower as long as it does not have a caliber or it has to say 9mm. You'll want to have a 9mm hammer in there. All the other parts of the trigger are the same as a .223/5.56. There's also the mag well block that blocks off the magwell and provides a mag realease. That's the most expensive part. Depending on what magazines you buy depends on what block you use (or vice versa.)

In the upper, you can't just use a collapsing stock and remove the stock. That's illegal. You have to use a buffer tube that can't be "readily convertable" to a SBR.

No gas tube. 9mm is a blow back.

Hope this helps.
Hardwarz

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Don't be a dork, if you can get the sbr tag, its sooo much better (I can't where I live sniffles)

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Personally, I assumed that you'd get an AR Pistol if:

1) Can't get an SBR in your area
2) Building the pistol so all you have to do is change out the butt stock when your SBR paper work comes through.
3) Can't afford the extra $200.00
4) Your state only lets you carry pistols for your CCW.

Yocan, why can't you get SBR? I don't think it's state law for MI.

If you can get SBR in your area but your local LEO won't sign off, go to a lawyer, get a Living Revocable Trust and assign the weapon to the trust. No LEO signature required.

Hardwarz

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Might be a legal thing. I know here it is. You might need to order a "pistol" lower. Here you can take an AR pistol and put a stock on it and longer barrel to use as a rifle, but you can't take the stock off of a rifle lower and make a pistol out of it.

Good thing RRA (and others) sells both pistols and rifles. :twisted:

I'd love to build one but the hassles of parts leaving the US for Canada makes it just easier to order a complete gun. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts