AR15 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a M&P 15OR. I want to add a front vertical grip but I have no front rails. Should I get a rail to add on to this round grip or replace it. I want to be somewhat economical but want it to look good as well. What do you recommend? Also planning on getting a Eotech but what flip-up sights do you suggest?

Thanks

Pic of an 15OR like mine but mine doesn't have that add-on rail to the hand guard:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If economy is your plan adding a rail to the current HG's would be the best, though not very rigid. If you want something solid you are going to spend some $$ though.

I'd suggest Botach.... but I know you hate them.

Do you want to free float it? Is weight a major issue?

You have a lot of options with both rails and BUIS.

Personally I'm a LaRue junky so I'd go with their rails. As for a BUIS I like the Troy.

When you mount your Eotech do you want a absolute co-witness, or a lower 1/3?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a rear troy on my 16" AR, and am looking at adding a set of irons to atleast 1 of the 308s, Was looking at yankeehill since they have the gas rail height ones, where troy did not. But witht ehheight of your front block you should be fine with the troys. I also have a EOtech on a RRA domintor mount, nice but it does not fold. for me it was great. Allowed for 1/3 cowitness, cheap (free) and I do not even notice the rear sight assy when using the EOPtech, but I had one on the 16" AR for a while as well, maybe thats why. A few peopel do not like the rear sight always being there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I was builing an AR right now I would go:

- Rails: Daniel Defense Omega Rails. Unique 2 piece free float design. Allows you to mount it on without taking off the barrel. Also you never know if there is a time in the future you may want to swap out these rails.
- Backup Iron Sites: PRI. These appear to be of excellent quality, but best of all they look really cool.

Rainier Arms, LLC™ | Taking the AR15 to new heights. sells both.

Eotechs is a good choice for your main optic.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not knowing what you're intended use is I'll pipe in with my personal preferences..

1. BUIS (backup iron sights) - Troy is the gold standard, about $240 for a new set, but you can find them used over on ARFCOM for much much less.

2. Forend rails - Free float is all the rage, and starts around $150. I strongly recommend you stay away from YHM FF rails if you have any anticipation of heavy use. Midwest Industries (kinda heavy) has a mid market price, Troy, LaRue, Daniel Defense and VLTOR are the gold standards in this part of the market.

If you just want drop in replacements, well there you have YHM as the lower end of some what quality, a ton of no name brands running under $100 .. but then you have SureFire (M73), Kights Armament (RAS I and II), Troy, LaRue, Daniel Defense and VLTOR again and a few others than aren't coming straight to mind.

So ask yourself, are you going to have to depend on this rifle for your life at any point? If so, save and get the quality gear. If it's a plinker and Tacticool gun, fine the lower end stuff will do you just fine. I learned the hard way to buy once and cry once. The higher end gear is worth it in the end.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not knowing what you're intended use is I'll pipe in with my personal preferences..

1. BUIS (backup iron sights) - Troy is the gold standard, about $240 for a new set, but you can find them used over on ARFCOM for much much less.

2. Forend rails - Free float is all the rage, and starts around $150. I strongly recommend you stay away from YHM FF rails if you have any anticipation of heavy use. Midwest Industries (kinda heavy) has a mid market price, Troy, LaRue, Daniel Defense and VLTOR are the gold standards in this part of the market.

If you just want drop in replacements, well there you have YHM as the lower end of some what quality, a ton of no name brands running under $100 .. but then you have SureFire (M73), Kights Armament (RAS I and II), Troy, LaRue, Daniel Defense and VLTOR again and a few others than aren't coming straight to mind.

So ask yourself, are you going to have to depend on this rifle for your life at any point? If so, save and get the quality gear. If it's a plinker and Tacticool gun, fine the lower end stuff will do you just fine. I learned the hard way to buy once and cry once. The higher end gear is worth it in the end.
Thanks everyone so far for the good info. I do want to go with quality hardware. I'm one for quality over quantity but that doesn't mean I necessairly need the Cadillac of parts. I do whant to "do it right" and not go cheap and regret later. Here is what I want to add right now:

- An Eotech or dotted sight co-witnessed with BUIS
- BUIS
- A decent floating quad rail
- Front vertical grip
- Sling

Planning on using this for self defence, tactics training, and as a fun shooter.

How difficult is it to replace the front hand grip? Never done it but I'm a handy guy. I'm sure there is guidance somewhere on this.

Oh and finally where are some good places to get this stuff?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i spent...waisted a lot of money on cheaper sights. brands like ncstar. finally spent the money and got an eotech 511. WELL WORTH THE MONEY. sight acquisition is uhhmazing.

now i do have a cheaper brand rail set on my ar. A company called UTG. not free floating, but i have absolutely nothing bad to say about it, and i got em for $50.

i bought the crappy fore grips and most of them broke. got a CAA grip yesterday and it is really good quality.

now a lot of people i have worked with and shot with all have a standard front sight or a bolt on front sight that is not flip down, and a flip up rear sight. with an eotech the front sight doesnt come in to play. this can save you some money b/c u only need to buy one of those really expensive flip up sights.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The EOTech is an EXCELLENT choice. I have a 553 myself.

I'm on a tight budget currently so just ordered a Midwest Industries FF carbine rail. They seem like a good choice for about $163. When they arrive I'll find out first hand.

For a rear BUIS I went with a YHM unit because I found them on sale for about $70 at the time. I'd like an ARMS #40, but they YHM work just fine for me. I run standard fixed sights on my AR, so can't help you there.

Good luck you don't always have to spend big bucks and buy top maned brand names to get good equipment. Don't get me wrong if money where not an issue id have DD, Troy and other top named equipment on my AR. But as it is I have to pick and choose what I should throw the big $$$ (AR maker & optic) at and what to save a little on (rails, BUIS).

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I was in the market for a quad rail, I looked at both UTG and Midwest Industries because they were both fairly cheap and I heard great things about them. I ended up paying a little more for the MI only because I liked the round vent holes versus the slots in the UTG but both would work great.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone so far for the good info. I do want to go with quality hardware. I'm one for quality over quantity but that doesn't mean I necessairly need the Cadillac of parts. I do whant to "do it right" and not go cheap and regret later. Here is what I want to add right now:

- BUIS
- Front vertical grip
- Sling

Planning on using this for self defence, tactics training, and as a fun shooter.

How difficult is it to replace the front hand grip? Never done it but I'm a handy guy. I'm sure there is guidance somewhere on this.

Oh and finally where are some good places to get this stuff?

Just read this part. I'll give my opinion from my "pick what and what not to throw big money at" approach.

EOTech excellent choice.
- BUIS
YHM saves you money and get the job done (I have no issues).
Midwest Industries FF good quality and save you nearly $100 over DD and only a bit heavier.
- Front vertical grip
I have yet to get one but will migrate to whom ever offers the best price on a good unit.
- Sling
Vickers Combat Application sling by BFG is what I will get.

That sould serve you just fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
at the risk of getting flamed if you have a flat top upper and plan on putting the EO on the upper and not the rails i would go with snap in replacements a good quality snap in will allow the vertical without problem as well as flashlights and sling mounts the amount of play that they will put on the barrel will be minimal so unless you are talking about tac driving it should really be a non issue and you can save about 1/4 to 1/2 of what you would spend on FF rails.

the MI rails are of pretty good quality but they are a little heavier than the much more expensive Troy, DD, and Larue so if the lightest possible is what you want you will be limited to those brands and will be paying out the AZZ for them

Im not a fan of the EO the reticle just seems a little to fuzzy to me i like the AP ML2 it can be had for about the same price as an EO however you will also need to purchase a mount for it unlike the EO

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got in my MI FF Carbine rail. I'm very happy with it. It looks good, works well and although a bit heavier than DD and LaRue... It not heavy. The little extra weight is worth the $$$ I saved on the rail.

here are a few pics, sorry about the picture quality my camera dosen't so so well with indoor low light picture taking:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I put a Yankee Hill Machine rail on my AR and I am very happy with it. They make good rails and a wide variety of them for many different needs.
:cool::cool::cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know they aren't the cheapest, but I like knight industries RAS M5. I have one for my 20" upper, and even though they aren't free float there is a locking bar that grabs and locks onto the upper reciever, making a tight connection.

If I hadn't found a good deal on it I was going to get the MI or YHM rails.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts