AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to get a free float quadrail from MI. I have never had one so I am curious about the rail covers. Should I get them? Are they good to have? Worthless? Opinions please. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yes.. yes and do your hands a favor... yes!

Not only are those rails edged enough to snag your hand and be a bit rough, you'll want to protect them from dings and stuff. I'm partial to ladder style covers, but that's me. MagPuls are going to be your best choice... other are out there, I just prefer MP. Get a few extra's that you can cut to size if you're putting a VFG and other stuff on there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the only rail system I don't have ladders on is my Shotgun.. but there's a whole different set of reasons there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have a forward/vertical grip there's no need. Just add on junk to look pretty. Unless of course your scaling buildings and don't want to scrape the cord. Or if your clearing rooms and don't wanna take a chunk out of the wood door frame.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the covers but don't use them. I have the grip underneath and the flashlight on the right side.

As has been noted though, if I carried it as part of my profession, the covers would be on the left and top sides to prevent snagging, etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
another vote for yes your hands will thank you, even if you get a VFG there will probably be times when you wont use it and you wish you had the guards, especially after the rails have recoiled back dragging across your hand a few times.

i have the KAC covers but they add considerable bulk to the rails so unless you have some big meat hooks i would suggest getting the laddered rails that can be cut down around any accessories. and wont add any bulk to them

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use ladders on mine.

Even though I have a Tango Down VFG sometimes I hold the rail.

Plus if you hold the VFG the way you are supposed to, it is easy to slip and scrape your hand up on unprotected rails.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
have you thought about a FF that doesn't require you to use them or are you dead set on the FF you have picked?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
have you thought about a FF that doesn't require you to use them or are you dead set on the FF you have picked?
Like what kind are you talking about? I have already ordered the rails. Got some MI carbine FF rails from SKD for $140 shipped. That is by far the cheapest I have seen them anywhere.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i chose my handguard based on wanting to be able to grab it without ordering rail guards ... a JP VTac, but it sounds like you already did it. i just wondered if you already had a guard.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts