AR15 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm trying to narrow down my choices for some rails. My main question is: Why are some up in the $300s, but others can be had for under $200? I'm looking at some MI Free Float CAR Extended length rails, and have seen them for about $175, IIRC. How's MI's reputation for rails?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey King Air, I just put the MI 2 piece free float carbine length on my AR and they are tight as can be. I got them from skd tactical for $140 shipped. I got them in about 4 days or so. I would highly recommend them as they mate up to the upper perfectly. See pic below.

ETA: I just saw that you want the extended length. skd has them for $167.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
some of the differentiation in price is the amount of work/quality that goes into rails. Generally some of the higher priced rails are either easier to install or much lighter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are really easy to install too. All you have to do is cut off or remove the delta ring. I had them on in about 10 minutes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are really easy to install too. All you have to do is cut off or remove the delta ring. I had them on in about 10 minutes.
Yeah, the D-ring...should I bother trying to remove it? Or should I just Dremmel the poo outta it? I could take a little time removing it just to have it in the future, but I guess they don't cost a whole lot anyway, huh. Chop chop, lol! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unless you have the stuff to pull the barrel out of the upper receiver, just cut it off with a dremel. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The MI rails look good and the price point is way better then the other guys.

Personally I really like the monolithic look and they are the least expensive rails out there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got MI mid and rifle length rails on 2 of my AR's..

Pros:
Ease of install
Monolithic rail
Durable
T-Marking
Very well priced

Cons:
Heavier than most

So that being said, I like them, I like them a lot. I did get mine from BravoComany.

Right now I'm going to add rifle length rails to both my second carbine and 9mm carbine.. but I'm going to give the YHM Specter light rail kit a run. Those will require a removal of the FSP (which is cool because the kit includes a low profile block) and the rail mounted front BUIS.

Here's the YHM Kit link:
http://www.yankeehillmachine.com/store/forearmkits.html

Please remember you can get MUCH better prices on these than the MSRP listed at that site.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right now I'm going to add rifle length rails to both my second carbine and 9mm carbine.. but I'm going to give the YHM Specter light rail kit a run. Those will require a removal of the FSP (which is cool because the kit includes a low profile block) and the rail mounted front BUIS.

Here's the YHM Kit link:
http://www.yankeehillmachine.com/store/forearmkits.html

Please remember you can get MUCH better prices on these than the MSRP listed at that site.
Very interesting

What is the weight difference between the MI and the YHM lightweight rail?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have three guns with the YHM light-weight rails on them. I absolutely love them! The rifle length tube hardly weighs anything when you're holding it. If you are setting up an HBAR, the weight savings in the front will help offset the barrel weight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have three guns with the YHM light-weight rails on them. I absolutely love them! The rifle length tube hardly weighs anything when you're holding it. If you are setting up an HBAR, the weight savings in the front will help offset the barrel weight.
Do you have any pics?

Also, it looks like you need to remove the barrel to install this right?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wonder if the 4 rail XL Lightweight is any lighter then the XL Customizable with only a top rail and 3" rail on the bottom for my VFG.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the XL Customizable is more versatile all said and told.. rail segment placement where you want it verses the full length of the FF tube. I've mulled that one over myself, but given that the better half wants the XL Lightweight (cause it's "Tacticool" to her) that's what I 'll give a run on both my (ok her) second carbine and the 9mm.

Brightflashlights (Calvin) has them for $209 shipped as of yesterday and Mooneys has them for about that price too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the XL Customizable is more versatile all said and told.. rail segment placement where you want it verses the full length of the FF tube. I've mulled that one over myself, but given that the better half wants the XL Lightweight (cause it's "Tacticool" to her) that's what I 'll give a run on both my (ok her) second carbine and the 9mm.

Brightflashlights (Calvin) has them for $209 shipped as of yesterday and Mooneys has them for about that price too.
Thanks

Yeah I saw Calvin's thread on arfcom

The lightweight just looks really agressive with all those cuts and rails. The adjustable looks nice and sleek.

I am still torn though.

Maybe if you post some pics it will help sway my vote. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a Yankee Hill on mine. I got it for right around $100.00. Best bang for the buck.

What I did find out is almost all the rails are the same. Some of the upper receivers are out of spec as far as the hight of the rail on the flat top. Therefore, you might not get 100% match. Don't blame the rail, blame the no-name upper you have.

Hardwarz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree rails are just rails.

I got my KMC rails for $10 (but the rail covers costed me another $20). These were on sale on botac when they had the TLR deal, buy the TLR for regular price and reciever the rail for $10. So far I can't complain, rails fit tight, they are fairly light, and they hold my forgrip and light just fine like any other rails.

$10 KMC rails on the bottom. $200 Surefire rails on top.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts