AR15 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get an inexpensive, entry-level red dot sight (tubeless) for my Stag AR, just to see how I like them prior to dropping large amounts of coin on a good one. Any suggestions on what and where to buy ?? Do most people leave the stock front sight on and just set the dot on top of it ??

Also, regarding the stock flip-up rear sight. Should that always be mounted as far back on the rail as possible (it's a flat top) ????

Thanks. AR's are new to me....but they're a whole lot of fun :-D.

jd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
you dont always have to mount the rear sight as far back as possible, but its advised just because the longer the distance between the sights, the better, more accurate, shot you can take. its called, "sight picture" but.... where ever you put it, and zero it, it has to go back in the same place(flat top cut outs) if removed, or you will have to re-zero.

i started with a BSA red dot from walmart, cost around 30.00$. i thought that it was a good sight for plinking, and i could shoot very accurately with it. the problem that i encountered was that in bright sunlight, i could barly see the dot. now... the more expensive red dot sights do not have this problem. i.e. acog, aimpoint, bushnell, eotech.. and so on.

i would just place the dot sight right on the flat top of your rifle, and see how it lines up with your sights. if its to low, or you just want to raise it higher above your sights, all you need is a flat top riser. witch are also inexpensive. just be cousies to keep a good check weld. this aids in accurate shooting. if you think that the front sight is in the way, then you can purchase a flip down front sight, to co-inside with you flip down rear.

just remember as i said above, if you zero your red dot, and remove it, then re-install it, you have to make sure it goes back it the same cut outs it was origonaly zeroed in. this will yeild the best results.

i hope this helps, and if you have any more questions, just ask. ill do my best to answer them.

have a good one, brian

......welcome to the club. there is no cure for BRD!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK what do you want to use the AR for? Competition? Home Defense? Killing Zombies? Shooting waskly wabbits at 2000 yards? and what's your idea of inexpensive? Many of us consider real AimPoints to be inexpensive, others don't. Very subjective..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mostly punching holes in paper targets and beer cans...out to 100 yds.

'Inexpensive' usually means 'not expensive'.

Are you a millionaire comedian ??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look at Tasco, BSA, Bushnell, Barska, Leatherwood, etc. You can drop $40 on a red dot if you're just looking to figure out whether or not you like looking through one. You will probably find some at the local WalMart or gun store but online retailers like MidwayUSA or OpticsPlanet or something will have more options with prices ranging from $30 to $2000 or so. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
find someone who has a aimpoint and or an eotech and save your $$, i had a crappy BSA red dot on my old mini 14 back in the day, it couldn't stay on while outside in the cold cause the battery/design sucked so bad

personally i'm a aimpoint guy, eotechs just dont look right for me, i've got a 2moa and a 4moa aimpoint and they both serve their purpose 100%

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mostly punching holes in paper targets and beer cans...out to 100 yds.

'Inexpensive' usually means 'not expensive'.

Are you a millionaire comedian ??
Well again, inexpensive is relative.. I make damn good money doing what I do and I have already learned the buy once cry once philosophy. You can get the AP knock offs for less than $100 usually, they aren't bad for deciding if you're going to save to get the real deal. Is there a difference, hell yes there is... is it going to make a ton of difference for your intended use, not likely.

And no I'm not a millionaire comedian, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
a good options is a Hakko Tac point its right around $100 bucks and should be able to be resold for slightly less than what you paid for.

i have both the AP and the TP they are nearly Identical the AP is suppose to have the better battery life but at this point i would have to say i have had much better luck with my Tac Point than my Aim Point as i went out to shoot today and the Dang AP wouldn't come on with everything i had nearly $500 bucks in my AP and less than $100 in my TP and ive gotten more use out of the Tac point,

im going to be shipping my AP back Monday for repairs so we will see how well their Customer service is,

mine must have been made on a Monday or Friday.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now that is Tag line worthy!

my folks worked in the auto industry and that was one of their favorite sayings, never buy anything made on a monday or a friday on monday they are unmotivated and don't want to be there and on friday they are in a hurry to get out of their and start their weekend on those two days quality control goes out the window.

i guess it just stuck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought one of those aimpoint clones from 1337tactical and it worked great. Only $120 with shipping and the thing is as solid as a rock. I had no problems with it other than that it was a clone. I eventually bought a real Aimpoint to replace it because I wanted the real deal... but in the year I used the one from 1337 tactical it worked great and I still have it just in case.

Here is the one I am talking about:
http://www.1337tactical.com/shop/productview.php?productId=113

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought one of those aimpoint clones from 1337tactical and it worked great. Only $120 with shipping and the thing is as solid as a rock. I had no problems with it other than that it was a clone. I eventually bought a real Aimpoint to replace it because I wanted the real deal... but in the year I used the one from 1337 tactical it worked great and I still have it just in case.

that looks like the Hakko i have. they are definitely a good site for the money, while the battery life isn't great it doesn't completely suck. i am still on my original factory batteries, and when i first fire it up its still bright after a few hours it starts to dim a bit but really only on its highest settings. I have also experienced no washout

its worth the money if you are just wanting to see if the red dots are your cup o tea and to have around a range backup.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you dont always have to mount the rear sight as far back as possible, but its advised just because the longer the distance between the sights, the better, more accurate, shot you can take. its called, "sight picture" but.... where ever you put it, and zero it, it has to go back in the same place(flat top cut outs) if removed, or you will have to re-zero.

......welcome to the club. there is no cure for BRD!
Brian, I think the term you're looking for is "sight radius" not "sight picture". Sight radius is the distance between the front and rear sights.
Dutter, you might want to look at a Tasco Pro-Point for a relatively inexpensive sight. They are an Aimpoint clone, pretty well made and reliable for around $120.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I still get some washout with mine, but it's gotta be REALLY bright, like up on a Mountain at 9,000+ on a nice bright day, without much cloud cover.. oh wait, that's most of the times I'm shoot long range :)

The Hakko's are good for what they are, but by no means something I'd want to be betting my life on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

+1

I have the same one and never had any issues with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts