AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have my SBR together. It currently has a High Lux red dot on it, the same one Bushmaster sells for $80 on their site. It's OK for now but i want a better option. I love the EOTech, but you're talking $300 at least. Then there's the Aimpoint for about the same money. I won't even mention Trijicon, though they're awesome.

So, the question is - is there a middle ground in QUALITY between what I have now and the EOTech? I know there's middle ground in price, but I honestly don't think models like the Bushnell Trophy and similar red dots are better than what I have now. I was thinking maybe one of the C-More polymer sights since they have a good representation in the competition world. Other than that, I haven't seen much of anything that interests me. A lot of the $150-$250 sights seem to get their value from looking like the more expensive scopes (ACOG Clones, Aimpoint clones) and not from their increased durability or features. I don't care if it's just a tube sight, as long as it's durable, dependable and has good battery life. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After the expense and hassle of all that goes into an SBR, why skimp on your optics?

Have you looked at the DMS-1?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you liked the EOTech, look at the Bushnell Holosight. Same thing as the EOTech 511, just without the protective hood.

But, like Ajcrash said, I'd just suck it up and buy what you want.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The DMS-1 would look crazy on my SBR. I've played around with one but they're heavy and really big - basically a full-size scope with the objective bell cut off.

I like the C-More because it's small, lightweight and is used a lot for pistol competitions, so it would seem to be precise and reliable. The JPoint/Docter Optic type sights are in that price range as well, though I think they'd sit almost too low on the gun to work for an SBR.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Holosight is a good suggestion except the N model only gets 40 hours of use out of a set of batteries.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Look at the Sightron red dot optic. I have one on My AR and its been very reliable. It sells for right around $200.00 and comes with a lifetime REPLACEMENT warranty.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The DMS-1 would look crazy on my SBR. I've played around with one but they're heavy and really big - basically a full-size scope with the objective bell cut off.

I like the C-More because it's small, lightweight and is used a lot for pistol competitions, so it would seem to be precise and reliable. The JPoint/Docter Optic type sights are in that price range as well, though I think they'd sit almost too low on the gun to work for an SBR.
The DMS is a 1 moa dot just like an EoTech or Holosight. But, IMO you'd be better to have the quick sight acquisition of the later on a SBR, than the slowness of a regular scope objective like the DMS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As has been mentioned, you took the time and expense for the SBR, don't rush and get cheap with an optic ;) Used EOTechs that could pass as new can be found for $250, I found them and sold one to Badshot.

What optic would you like to have ?

I've seen a compact ACOG for $400, so bargins are out there if you look.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm, I'll check out the Larue - I haven't heard of it. And I'm not for sure why everyone thinks SBRs have to be expensive, i have less in mine than what a new S&W M&P-15 carbine costs, including the stamp.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought the fakepoint clone from 1337tactical.com with the throw lever mount and tried to destroy it. I put it on my 870 with a saddle mount and put 95 one ounce Remington and Winchester slugs thru it then approx 150 rds of 00 buck and two boxes of 000 buck(I wasn't gentle). Did I mention I have a Knoxx SpecOps Stock so every pull of the trigger the reciever and sight are slamming rearwards approx 3". After all of that I put the fakepoint on my RRA Elite CAR A4 and made a dime sized group with 10 rounds of Remington UMC at 25 meters. I have replaced the batteries once in a year and a half. I thought that I would have killed it by now, I have tried to kill it but it keeps making small groups on my AR.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I gave up on the red dot and bought a set of flip-up iron sights. I figure start with the basics. I went with the Midwest Industries forend front sight and their matching flip-up rear.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I gave up on the red dot and bought a set of flip-up iron sights. I figure start with the basics. I went with the Midwest Industries forend front sight and their matching flip-up rear.
Always have the essentials and a good set of BUIS is the essentials. No matter what I mount it will always be mounted with throw lever mounts because shiite happens and the BUIS will be there waiting.
Practice with your optic of choice but always be able to ring the gong with your iron sights.

btw- give us a review of the MWI flip ups when you get a chance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I somewhat agree that the weight would be crazy for a SBR build, but they are a fairly fast optic for what they are.

I love mine, however it is not on a SBR, just a regular old 16".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I decided to build my SBR it was for one overriding reason; self-defense. Sure, it looks cool and gets lots of oh's and ah's at the range but that is not its primary function. Thus the EOTech on the top rail. If you're just trying to be an Internet commando, it really doesn't make much difference what your optic is. On the other hand, if your life depends on it, cost doesn't really enter into the picture, does it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My SBR is for fun. I can't put a suppressor on it in MO, and I value my hearing too much to sacrifice it needlessly by firing an SBR in my house. I have an XD with a light and extended mag for home defense. I'm not an "operator", nor do I play one on TV.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I decided to build my SBR it was for one overriding reason; self-defense. Sure, it looks cool and gets lots of oh's and ah's at the range but that is not its primary function. Thus the EOTech on the top rail. If you're just trying to be an Internet commando, it really doesn't make much difference what your optic is. On the other hand, if your life depends on it, cost doesn't really enter into the picture, does it?
I would like to know who that was aimed at, if anyone. Its awfully condescending, not knowing everyone personally.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don't screw around with optics. Get a quality unit. I bought a aimpoint clone, then ended up buying the real thing. I wasted 75 bucks that coulda' gone toward the real thing. It was one of those 1337 tactical clones.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts