AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone removed their Flash Hider without purchasing the blocks to put the upper in a vice?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Flash Hiders are illegal, so call it a muzzle brake unless you want the BATFE at your door with warrants for all your guns. Yes I know it's the same part, yes I know the law's stupid, but if you call it a flash suppressor, or flash hider, you're going to jail. Life's a bitch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flash Hiders are illegal, so call it a muzzle brake unless you want the BATFE at your door with warrants for all your guns. Yes I know it's the same part, yes I know the law's stupid, but if you call it a flash suppressor, or flash hider, you're going to jail. Life's a bitch.

WTF ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has anyone removed their Flash Hider without purchasing the blocks to put the upper in a vice?
You can tape the barrel real good and put an old piece of leather in the jaws of a bench vice to hold the barrel to remove your FLASH HIDER.
Remove the handguards and clamp it there just in case, or best bet would be to buy the barrel vice blocks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your incorrect, flash hiders are completely legal. A muzzle brake is a completely different mechanism and does nothing to supress the flash. A sound supressor may be what your thinking of and is still legal with the proper paperwork from the BATF. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took two pieces of wood and put one piece on top of the upper (against the flat top) and the other against the bottom of the upper (where the lower positions against). Then I put the wood/upper in the vise and cranked it down. Got the flash hider off very easily that way, and had zero damage to the upper! ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just wanted to let you know that you're an idiot and should NOT give legal advice to anyone or anything in this regard. The truth's a bitch. :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol, I was just about to be really confused, I was thinking to myself, WTF. Flash hiders aren't illegal, nor are they the same thing as a muzzle brake, lol. Thank ya'll for already being on top of this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just wanted to let you know that you're an idiot and should NOT give legal advice to anyone or anything in this regard. The truth's a bitch. :rolleyes:
I dont know that calling someone an idiot on here is very constructive either ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
+1 w/ KingAirDriver. I used a couple of thick wood blocks with a towel on between the barrel and the blocks as not to scratch it. Worked fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey everyone, Flash Hider MAY be illegal, depending on the state, county, city, etc that you live in. Just like high cap mags (>10) are illegal in some states/county/city/etc.

Now quit the name calling you bunch of idiots. ;)

Hardwarz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont know that calling someone an idiot on here is very constructive either ;)
It isn't. But it gets my point across very well. It's people that spout off like that that end up getting people hurt in some form or fashion. Not saying it would in this case, but if you aren't sure what you're referring to, especially when it comes to firearms and ammo, you need to be quiet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just removed an A2 birdcage last week by wrapping an old leather belt around it and then going overtop of that with a big adjustable pipe wrench. Take the upper off the lower first. Mil-specs for torquing a flash hider is around 25 ft-lbs, so if you go slow and smooth it shoud come off the barrel before the aluminum upper is damaged. Twist counter-clockwise if looking down the barrel. It took me 3 times, resetting the belt each time but it came off fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey everyone, Flash Hider MAY be illegal, depending on the state, county, city, etc that you live in. Just like high cap mags (>10) are illegal in some states/county/city/etc.

Now quit the name calling you bunch of idiots. ;)

Hardwarz
:D

though I must say I can't remember seeing many magazines that hold less than 10 rounds (ie. >10 = less than 10 as you referenced above, but I think you meant, <10 = more than 10). Now I know you daydreaming about AR's in math class.;)

My last word in this post was going to end with idiot, but I couldn't find a joker smiley to follow it, so I'll just leave well enough alone now.:mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL, me goofing up is SNAFU. Nobody got hurt or lost any limbs, so it's safe to proceed now.:lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts