AR15 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think this subject has been drug through the mud yet, so I figured I'd see what others are using.

Presently I use the Molle case from cheaper than dirt.(http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE201-41691-1975.html)
It's a nice case, pretty rugged and not very expensive, lots of of storage, I can put my scoped 24" upper with Bi-pod, & collapsible stock lower into the large main compartment, and my carbine upper (varying optics) in the smaller front compartment. Magazines, eyes & ears etc in the front Molle pouches.

Lately though I've been kicking around the idea of getting a separate lower for my 24" upper. Fit of both in my present case probably won't fly.

I'd like to keep both AR's in one case. I've looked at a few that fill this purpose, but I wound up back at CTD looking at the drag bag (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE181-56031-891.html)
It looks like it will fit what I'm looking to do, and the price is much lower than comparable cases. The higher dollar ones are likely of better quality material and such, but this will mostly be used to store the AR's in and travel to and from the range; I won't be pushing/dragging it around some field practicing my "stalking techniques" or some other Mall Ninja type activity.

Another idea I was thinking of was to get an appropriate size piece of foam from a craft store, sewing* a cover over it and stitching it into my present case to use as a divider. Not to sure on fit with this route though, but It'd be an inexpensive test.

*Disclaimer: The girlfriend will do actual sewing.

What kind of cases are you using?

Sorry for the early morning rambling. New coffee from Christmas, called Wake the Fu(< Up, it's a bit too speedy for my liking.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
i got a two rifle hardcase from walmart for $20 and i can fit my scoped 7mm rem mag with bi-pod and my 18" scoped ar-15 and i can also fit atleast 2 handguns in there also

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
That looks like the same case my wife bought me last year, except in black. It works fine for me.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
For range and field toting I'm using that brand. That drag bag will work for your upper if you get the lower to add on for a complete rifle. Warning though, if you have tall target knobs or just have the optic set high, you'll have issues getting the case closed over that. The stitching sucks on all of them if you're abusive to the cases like I am, but for the price they're perfect.

I do have a large Starlite double rifle case that in theory can hold 2 rifles. Hard case w/ wheels it's pretty nice, just haven't ever gotten around to using it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
I might just get one for my Carbine and shottie to lug them around for 3 gun.

I don't really need the converted baby carriage deal.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Did you ever get that bag AJCrash?
Yes I did, sorry I'm just responding. It is fairly nice for CTD gear manufacturer is Condor actually.

Though I'm now reconsidering it. It is a bit long, for a full carbine and a 24 inch upper. Both wear scopes so height is a small issue; it closes up OK, but is a tight fit. If I put my Eotech on my carbine and stow its scope in one of the pockets fit is a little better.

I'm wondering if I would have been better suited with a Pelican 1720 or Storm case for roughly $60~ or so more than what the drag bag ran me.

I'll have to take some measurements and see if the Pelican/Storm would be the better option for me.

Scalce: If you decide to go with one of these hit me up, should I go with the hard case I can probably cut you a deal on my drag bag.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
G

·
Discussion Starter #10
oops... old thread.

If you're still interested in a Storm, Pelican, or Starlight case I know there is a member here that sells one of them.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
oops... old thread.

If you're still interested in a Storm, Pelican, or Starlight case I know there is a member here that sells one of them.
Nah, it's still a valid thread.

Actually I have both the Molle Carbine case and the Sniper drag bag from cheaper than dirt.

I think my optics clearing will be my biggest obstacle. I may need to get another set of QD rings (I need to order a couple things from LaRue anyways)for the glass on my long range upper, so when the AR's are in the case I can have the scopes removed but ready to be mounted.

I think I know the member you are referring to and have a PM out to him.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
oops... old thread.

That's me.

I've done a few cases for the guys. Packerfan had one set up for his RRA and I have one that was set up for my AK that I need to get some replacement foam for now for my Stag.

It is a little expensive versus a soft case, however, if you ever want to fly with your rifle, this will take care of that as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts