AR15 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
aight, i know this aint an AR question:

but does anyone know the difference between an M1A and M1A1

i know and am very familiar with the M1A, but is M1A1 an interchangable name for the M1A or is it a variant?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
M1A is not a military designation. It is a Springfield Armory Inc designation for their M14 clone.

Is there a military designation for M1A1? I know there is the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine, but not sure if there is a M1A1. Usually that A1 just means the 2nd Generation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe there was an M1A1 Carbine which was the folding stock paratrooper version of the M1 Carbine during WWII. Somebody chime in here if not this is not my area of expertise.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
M1A is not a military designation. It is a Springfield Armory Inc designation for their M14 clone.

Is there a military designation for M1A1? I know there is the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine, but not sure if there is a M1A1. Usually that A1 just means the 2nd Generation.
i know more than i should about the M1A, i mean thats the rifle that is gonna be proplery packed and stored when im buried. -or- its gonna be in a tac sling when they bury me at sea ( i want to travel even after im dead)

as far as i know, the M1 Garands used A-D designations.

as for the second gen stuff, i went to a local gun shop today during lunch, and the guy behind the counter started spouting off about how theyre having supply troubles with the M1A1, and thats where i come in. i ask him and he kept telling that its the civie-14, and being a M1A afficianado, i tell him that Its M1A not M1A1...i think i hurt his feelings. but it went from there, and i thought about it off and on through out the day, and started thinking maybe its a variant of the M1A.....but i still take the stance that hes was full of crap and only knew marginal things about weapons platforms...its a good thing i didnt bring up the M21 systems.

In the AR forum...:confused:
yeah yeah yeah i know, if you read the original post admit that i know this is an ar forum. but, being as this forum seems to have high traffic; i thought that it would be a high profile position to help me find out about the M1A1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts