AR15 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's tax return time and I'll finally have some $$ to build a rifle. I've been looking at
the Stag 2H
http://ar15sa.fatcow.com/store/page2.html
and the RRA CAR-A4
http://www.ar15sales.com/rrauppers.htm

the Stag is about $50 more than the RRA but comes with a flip up rear sight. Also there is the Stag 2HT that comes with the daniel defense free float quad rail and a.r.m.s. 40 buis... but that's $659 not sure if the extra $200 is worth it seeing as how I won't have anything to mount on the rails yet

any thoughts?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Personally I'd go with the Stag 2HT, the Samson rail is very nice and if it is only 200 over the regular 2H that's a good deal. I have a Samson and a Troy rail and they are sweet 8) And you know you will want to upgrade to a rail once you have the upper :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got a complete RRA and also a Stag upper (3H) that I'm working on building from. I think you'd be pleased with both. It's likely you'd receive the Stag weeks or months before the RRA, unless you can find one that you like in stock somewhere. For Stag I'd give John @ Rainierarms.com a call. For RRA, Pete @ AR15sales.com would be a good choice. Good luck, and post some pics of whatever you end up buying;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also have a RRA and love it. JMO on this, but I say RRA all the way. Don't know much about Stag personally so I can't say good or bad about it. They are all built basically the same just some give/use more quality parts and longer warrenty. Like said before, don't think you will go wrong either way. I am just a RRA fan. :0)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally I'd go with the Stag 2HT, the Samson rail is very nice and if it is only 200 over the regular 2H that's a good deal. I have a Samson and a Troy rail and they are sweet 8) And you know you will want to upgrade to a rail once you have the upper :p
+1 The rail and flip up front sight alone are worth nearly $400 if purchased seperately (if anybody was dumb enough to pay list). That sounds like a good way to get a jump on making your rifle "tacticool" (which you will end up doing--even if you don't have accessories right now, trust me, you will--it's the EBR bug that'll getcha in the end...)

:mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool thanks guys, I guess I'll have to see how much moola I have... Looks like I'm leaning towards the Stag 2HT w/ quad rail so I can be tacticool and impress my friends :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought a bunch of stag stuff back a few years ago when it was the "thing" to get.

The problems I had that caused me to send a bunch of it back... sometimes twice and three times.

BCG cam pin drug really hard on the inside of the upper and was causing a major bur on the relif cut on the inside of the upper. Both upper and bolt carrier group replaced by stag no charge..my dime shipping.

The finish on the inside of the two stag uppers I bought was so poor that it was flaking off to bare alum. after a few hundered rounds. I have RRAs and a no-name upper with a few thousand rounds through them that did not exhibit this same problem.

I still have the bolt carrier group.. its currently not in use as its a POS. I had to finally send back one the the replacement uppers as when I started building again and the finish on the inside of the upper was actually flaking off from finger nail pressure!

on a good note... they were extremely helpful in making me a happy customer.... as they should... communication was great and I did receive new uppers that had a durable finish... after 3 tries with the BCG I finally gave up.

My buddy runs an LMT upper with a different CMT bcg and it is showing the same bolt cam pin wear beating the backside of the releif cut in his upper as It did mine... a pretty good bur is showing on his now... darn shame to screw up an LMT upper with that BCG. But some swear by stag.... so to each thier own I say.

Just my 02 cents... some may agree... some not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts