AR15 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you folks considering the subject: Some real life experience: (And please add your own, the intent of this post)

BATFE: Filling out the form for the SBR and suppressor:
-Easy... And there are websites that will help you fill it out the form if in doubt
-Time: Got both stamps back in four weeks. Couldnt beleive it.....
-And beleive it or not, when I submitted my forms a few years ago, you had to have the top cop in your area sign it, or use a corporation backed header to check that block. I have "HEARD" that now you dont need either: Just your signature (Let me know if in fact it has changed, just be sure you are looking at an upated version of the form)
-Price. I beleive $250 for each stamp when I got them. I beleive it may be $200 for each now (Not sure)
-Expirations dates: NONE

For the SBR, be aware that the form requires you to fill out the SN, what caliber and make/model gun you will have as the SBR. So the stamp wont cover any other SBR except what matches on the form. For the suppressor, you have to state caliber/make model . Again, it wont cover other makes/calibers

Supressor I got: GEMTECH with quick attach/detach: I picked that one because its the one I used for years in JSOC. Certianly not the quietest out there, but the GENTECH I use, and the military used, was never made for stealth. It was intended to for use so it didnt blow your ears out in confined spaces like rooms, stairwells, vehicles, (But its still pretty loud), but less decibles than a flash suppersor

Uppers: I have a 10.5 and 16.5": I had some feed issues with the 10.5. but cleared that up with an extraction spring buffer, a $10 peice that takes about 1 minute to install. Others have had shorty feed issues with a suppressor, but my fix worked. A guy at an indoor range behind the counter turned me on to the fix. I had my doubts initially but he was right

I'm not a big fan of govt regs, but if you want a SBR or can, get the BATFE stamps: Dont take shortcuts.

If you get the stamps though, there are some restrictions, like going over state lines (A question I have that Ill post in a seperate topic) and if you change your adress, etc)

Hit me up with your own experinces on the subject of this post

·
Registered
AR15, AR10(DPMS),
13 Posts
For you folks considering the subject: Some real life experience: (And please add your own, the intent of this post)

BATFE: Filling out the form for the SBR and suppressor:
-Easy... And there are websites that will help you fill it out the form if in doubt
-Time: Got both stamps back in four weeks. Couldnt beleive it.....
My experience was a bit different. I did use the kiosk with SilencerCo and that was easy. Yet no instructions on the type of photo. And unless you bring your own plain white backdrop your photo is rejected. At this time I didn’t have a make or model selected so no S/N. No problem though it’s all there until you do have one picked out.

I wanted one to use with my 450 Bushmaster so I selected a SilencerCo Hybrid 46. And the one shot Trust. Done. They charged my account and I owned a muffler. It was $200 tax stamp. Same as it has been since 1934 and the NFA (which is still unconstitutional now as it was then)! If the price has been different in the past it may be because of local state taxes, but the federal tax stamp was all I had to pay for the privilege of exercising my 2A liberty.

Now as things are today you can’t possess your property until you have been officially cleared by the Federal government (the $200 tax) which I thought would not take that long. I haven’t done anything or gone anywhere outside the lower 48 since I was cleared in the 80’s and held a clearance for ten years. But it took 9 months.

During which I scoured the retail sales for accessories, like the QD attachment and the different thread pitch and diameters for possible barrel differences. This hybrid 46 can be used on a slue of different calibers from 0.458” to 0.223”.

A friend of mine has one and it’s just down right fun to use. We shoot AR pistol, Glock 43, another 9mm pistol (sorry maybe FN not sure), and of course our AR15’s. At the time didn’t have the 450 Bushmaster. Hopefully that can change soon. I don’t know that much about getting an AR to run with a muffler because I just dropped by and we used his firearms , however since then I’ve heard a lot about what you must do to get them reliable. And really not sure what I’ve heard.

—-you have more back pressure
—-you need to tune your gas system?
—-you need to use subsonic ammo to be quiet
—-you can use supersonic, not as quiet
—-you need to adjust the buffer
—-you need to clean more, they run dirty
—-the best db is around 100-120 db

So if an AR run at about 160 db and you can get it to 120 db, same ammo, that’s good, you still need ear plugs for a long day though. Now with subsonic or handgun ammo the change would be even more, no crack of the sound barrier.

Also one should check installation with a correct diameter bore rod. To make sure the threads are cut right. The rod should slip without touching anything through the muffler and into the muzzle and be equally distant, centered, in the end plate of the muffler. And use a bit of locktite. They like to loosen up and walk off the end of the barrel.

I hope to have more hands on experience soon. However since I love AR’s most of what I got I build.

And I could use a little help with some of that list. I think I grouped all the well intended “help” in the least number of bullet point, there’s probably something that I’ve not been told or haven’t experienced yet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts