AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

First off, Im new to ARs so please forgive me. I just got me a new AR15 A1 model. What would be the easiest/best way to mount a red dot scope. Ive seen the adaptors for the handle but they are over $100! Would it be easier to get a whole new A4 upper?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Learn to use the A1 upper first ;)
Then either have the upper receiver swapped out for a flat top, or change handguards to a solid free float and mount the red dot on there.

I have a red dot sight mounted on the handguard of one of my ARs that has an A1 upper and I really like that combo.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why can't you mount a rail on the handle and mount the red dot that way? Doesn't the A1 handle have a hole drilled in it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can mount a scope on the A1 it should have a hole in the top of the handle. They sell a rail mount kit that screws through the hole. I have one for my A2 they are awesome, the scope stay's zeroed when I take it on and off. Make sure to buy a Comb for your stock because it rides high and is hard to get a good cheek weld and be constistant.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can mount a scope on the A1 it should have a hole in the top of the handle. They sell a rail mount kit that screws through the hole. I have one for my A2 they are awesome, the scope stay's zeroed when I take it on and off. Make sure to buy a Comb for your stock because it rides high and is hard to get a good cheek weld and be constistant.
I saw those but wasnt sure one little screw could hold the scope securely.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You'll have to more than hand tighten the screw (gerber ninja tool was my preference) and if you're inclined, lock-tite that thing on there and no worries. You'll notice the top of the carry handle is U shaped, that adds to the stability of the rail bar you'll put there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use a handle-mounted scope (I've used both red dots and "regular" optical scopes) on my A2 Bushmaster. Never had scope's zero change. Currently have an 8-32X 44mm varmint/target scope attached. Cheek weld doesn't seem to be a problem for me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that one looks better than some of the other ones, too bad its out of stock :sad:
Not sure how many ways to say this.
JohnA said:
snip* was the first result of many pages of results from a google search for gooseneck AR15 scope mounts.
I'm sure you can find one if you look around. Try clearview investments or centerfire systems or cdnn or cheaperthandirt.com

They keep stuff like that regularly.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=90&Page=2

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/artaccarhans.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats the one Ive seen that was so expensive ($135). When a flattop upper can be purchased for $99, I dont know why anyone would buy that?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats the one Ive seen that was so expensive ($135). When a flattop upper can be purchased for $99, I dont know why anyone would buy that?
+1

The only reason I can think of is issued/duty weapons that don't allow operator mods, but for personal property, I agree a flat top would be a better option.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
uppers are interchangable.

But with the qc of various brands, stick with a well known (good) manufacturer.

If you have a Colt A1 upper, you'll have to use conversion pins because Colt uses a larger (oddball) size takedown and pivot pins.

Hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
M&A uses a lot of different companies parts. At the time I bought my long barreled upper from them about 4 or 5 years ago, they were using LMT uppers. Not sure if that's still the case now or not.

Mine has been like a timex as the old saying goes, so from my experience with them, I would say they were good to go. I wouldn't hesitate buying it and from them.

That's a good price too.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts