AR15 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My honest opinion is I think it will probably be fine. I know there are those out there who think you have spend $700 or more on optics, but I think there are many low cost optics that will get the job done to the satisfaction and requirements of most people.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, personally there are somethings that I look for in the optics I put on my AR's. Primarily this comes from really learning how to shoot accurately on a bolt gun.

1. Fixed magnification. I haven't really had a need to get more than 10x, tried a variable once, just didn't really see why I needed it after trying it against my 10x. That is personal preference all of the way. What I will say is that I can put rather nice little 30 round groups (sub 5") at 300 meters with a 20" AR and a Burris 3200 Elite 10x mildot scope. Is that great or grand by professional or competition standards, nah.. but it does equal one very dead object at 300m.

2. Look for target knobs, not for something that requires you remove a cap (which will invariably get lost) and dig out a coin to adjust. Quick windage and elevation adjustments are important to me personally.

3. Learn to use and love the MilDot reticle. By far the easiest sighting reticle I've tried in the decade plus that I've been shooting at any sort of real distance. It also allows you to not have to crank on knobs in quick shot, moving target or variable targets at variable ranges if you know how to use it for hold overs.

4. Give serious consideration to Bell size and tube diameter. 30mm tubes will be brighter and more crisp in general. But 1" tubes are pretty good for most folks. I've got a few of each and the 30" tubes make for brighter optics over all.

5. Consider actual eye relief and parallax. Again with variable optics these two points change as you adjust the magnification. This means you're changing your cheek weld and more than likely your grip and the stock placement. That means that you can't train to use the same spot on the stock and grip every single time. That means you'll lose time lining up behind the scope... can be a show stopper in more than one way.

So no you don't have to spend $2500 on a S&B or USO scope.. though if you have that kind of spare cash, they are absolutely amazing optics.. but you can stick in the sub $400 range and get some quality optics that will more than do the job at hand.

Those are my humble observations and preferences. Take it and them for what it might be worth.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, personally there are somethings that I look for in the optics I put on my AR's. Primarily this comes from really learning how to shoot accurately on a bolt gun.

4. Give serious consideration to Bell size and tube diameter. 30mm tubes will be brighter and more crisp in general. But 1" tubes are pretty good for most folks. I've got a few of each and the 30" tubes make for brighter optics over all.

So no you don't have to spend $2500 on a S&B or USO scope.. though if you have that kind of spare cash, they are absolutely amazing optics.. but you can stick in the sub $400 range and get some quality optics that will more than do the job at hand.

Those are my humble observations and preferences. Take it and them for what it might be worth.
and where may I ask do you get rings for that???:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have this scope on my 30-06 and like it alot.Ive had it for about 6 years with no problems.Seems that this scope has been on sale for quite some time.It was on sale for $99 when I bought it lol.
Sounds like a good endorsement mag,
Thanks!!!!!

I've contemplated this one, and yes it's been on sale forever. To late for christmas, but I got a birthday coming up, so I guess it's time to drop a few hints to the wife.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got one of those scopes, it's OK for a hunting gun. I can't look thru it now that I have a Bushnell 4200 though. I put a compact 6x Mildot on my AR, it works fine on steel plates to 500m.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got one last week. I haven't shot with it mounted yet but so far I like it. I figured for $99 it was worth a shot; I could always use it on something else, or sell it if I didn't like it.

With high rings, the objective just barely clears the front handguard (I can pass a postcard between HG, and scope).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I personally believe that you get what you pay for in optics, I put a Leu 4x14x40 30mm tube on my Savage and then put a Burris Fullfield II on my M1A the Burris was $250 the Leu was $700 and yes there is more of a difference than just the warranty the Leu is much brighter has better field of view and has alot better eye relief but I have to say that the Burris has held of quite well to a .308 so time will tell, I just can't force myself to get a cheap scope that has terrible eye relief with very limited field of view, guess I am just spoiled rather than go cheap I would choose to wait and save my $$

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have 2 Burris 3200 Elites and a Super Sniper 16x .. the SS stands well when compared to a Leupold and several others including IOR running under $700. There are some hidden deals in the market, Super Sniper is absolutely one of those.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have 2 Burris 3200 Elites and a Super Sniper 16x .. the SS stands well when compared to a Leupold and several others including IOR running under $700. There are some hidden deals in the market, Super Sniper is absolutely one of those.
I have no experience with expensive scopes but I have absolutely nothing bad to say about my 10x42 super sniper. Thumbs up all the way from me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts