AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well. saying that I will be hunting soon. probably.

I just hate to take away from the traditional A2 style. Although it is a flat top A3 with a carry handle.

Should I remove the carry handle?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Nikon buckmasters 3x9 on my RRA entry tactical for hunting.It works great and has great clarity.I shot a deer with it right in the neck its very accurate.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I say use the irons and give 'em a chance.. :) If you want to scope it, do it. Either way you are out there in the woods. Personally, I hunt with the irons.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my 20 is a flattop and scoped but i only hunt paper. i liked bidah's response as well. i've only been bird hunting so i'm basically talking out of my a$$!
mas cafe' por favor

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends on where you're hunting (terrain) and at what ranges you're typically comfortable with taking your shots. There isn't anything wrong with scoping it and if you want to shoot irons, just put a BUIS on it and use Quick Detach rings or a single piece QD mount. Then you can swap out the scope if you want the challenge of using irons.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I scoped mine. Actually, this is out of date. It has a Burris Fullfield 2 on it and chases coyotes all winter. Come to think of it, I have the day off. Why am I not hunting???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got back from the range. I wanted to sight in some 55 grain Black Hills soft points, and 64 grain Winchester Super X Power Points.

I got my confidence level up. I was shooting bulls at 50 yards no problem with the 55 grain. The 64 grain was a little erratic out of my gun.

The settings were +2 to the right for windage with the 55 grain, and +8 right for the 64 grain. I could hit better with the 55 grain. The 64 grain had a 1" to 1 1/2" difference. Where the 55 grain was contained in the 1" square.

I guess I am going to shoot the 55 grain since it seems to like it better. I just wanted the 64 grain for the extra punch. What would be the difference in the 9 grains anyway?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got a scope for my Colt 6551 the one pictured in my Avatar. It's an A2 Gov Model, I have a comb for the stock and scope mount that screws through the carrying handle. I usually shoot with iron sights but when I go to hunt yotes or PD's I put the scope and comb on. The mount for the scope keeps the scope on sight / zeroed when I put it on and take it off. It takes a few minutes to do.

You will find you almost never carry your AR by the carrying handle. You can go with a quick release scope mount on the A3 / Flattop and get flip up BUIS and get the best of both worlds. If I had a A3 20" AR that's what I would do a good variable scope on a quick release mount and flip up BUIS.

Post some pics when you get it figured out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I scoped my Bushmaster Varminter 24" with a Mueller Tactical. I wouldn't have it any other way. Super accurate......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like hunting with scopes. So my vote is to put one on:cool:

If I didn't have a scope on my slug gun I would haven't been able to kill my deer this year. I couldn't see her with my eyes, she was 97yards but it was hazy out and hard to see. with the scope I was able to see clearly enough to put one in her neck and drop her where she stood.

I like scopes for hunting - I just don't care for red dots when deer hunting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i would.
and i would take the carry handle off if you mount a scope i really dont like the scope on top of carry handle. oh and mine is a 18"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Optics pretty much beat irons in any applications so long as the right optic is chosen that applies from 10 inch AR's to 24 inch ones.
Pat
Boy don't tell that to an Old School Marine or a M1 competition shooter :)

But you're right, yet no matter what you do, having irons available is a common sense step and configuration. I've been fortunate enough that not a single one of my optics has failed when I needed it. Then again I grew up with irons only so optics are a nice to have, not a have to have.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Subscribing.

Just picked up a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20 x 50 with 1" tube ($99 at Midway), now I need rings. I had no idea how many ring options their were.

Any suggestions? This will be going on a dedicated long range upper, so QD is not necessary, but would be nice, just in case I want to put this monster on my carbine.

From looking around some it looks like my rings will cost more than the scope.... Funny how that works eh?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just picked up a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20 x 50 with 1" tube ($99 at Midway), now I need rings. I had no idea how many ring options their were.

Any suggestions? This will be going on a dedicated long range upper, so QD is not necessary, but would be nice, just in case I want to put this monster on my carbine.

From looking around some it looks like my rings will cost more than the scope.... Funny how that works eh?

I really like this on my AR. Its a RRA mount and I got it used for $25.00 These types seem to be some of the sturdiest mounts made.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts