She's together! My 300 AAC Blackout rifle!!! | AR15 Forums

She's together! My 300 AAC Blackout rifle!!!

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by BigDinTexas, Feb 3, 2012.

1. BigDinTexas

BigDinTexas Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, I present my newest obsession... It is a 16" AAC Upper chambered in 300 AAC Blackout, mounted on my Spike's Tactical lower with the Magpul AFG Foregrip and Hogue grips... I have the ACT Trigger from ALG Defense coming in 3-4 weeks according to the email from Amy Geissele received yesterday.

I was fortunate enough to get one of the newest uppers, as it came in 1:7 twist, which is what AAC is moving towards to allow better support of the heavier subsonic rounds.

Now I need to get some ammo and take her to the range. My next major purchase will be some optics, probably the EOTech and then a can.

On a related note, I keep hearing great things about the BCM Gunfighter, so I stopped by the LGS to see if they had one... Mind you this place has taken a drastic turn for the worse when it comes to the people manning the store in the last year, but today I really had to just walk out. The sales guy when asked about the Gunfighter said he won't carry it because it's junk. When I asked why, he said because of all the reviews he has read about it and the blow by when firing. Anyone else ever experience or heard of this?

Let me know what you guys think or any thoughts on how I can improve on this bad girl.

thanks,
    Don

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hoosier70

Hoosier70 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nice rifle I'm working on a 300 also

3. highoctane39

highoctane39 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    She's a looker...nice

4. Rangel

Rangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nice. I want one one of these days

Sent from my iPhone 4S

5. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First of all...nice build, I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing...

Second, I've been running a BCM Gunfighter for some time now and love it, never had a single problem with it.

6. richeyo2

richeyo2 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sweet rifle! Let us know how she shoots.

7. speedrrracer

speedrrracer Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Out of curiosity, what appeals to most people about the 300 BLK round?

Is it the ability to be effectively suppressed, or is there something else? Here in CA we can't have suppressors, so I'm wondering if there's any point for us in the Peoples Republik of Kali...

8. yocan

yocan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    the big group thats buying up gun companies is pushing it, and hard so its not going anywhere. there is literally only 1 part swap, the barrel which is an awesome feature really saves there. .30 cal hole is a nice deal especially shooting fmj.

IMO a 1/7 out of the 16" is counter intuitive, the 9" is set up for suppression, I would think you'd want the hot stuff from the 16" to make use of it.

its a darn good round for low recoil/fast firing better killing potential then a standard (cheap) 556 round.

I'll take my 6.5 grendel over it, but logistically the 6.5 is much less practical/being forced by less companies so not going to go mainstream to the same extent. (but out of my 24" barrel its a 1400 yard gun if I ever learn to shoot that well)

the ability to swap subsonic and supersonice without any changes is pretty cool. I bet though subsonic out of the 16" isn't very loud considering you should have complete powder burn at 9" logically speaking.

9. speedrrracer

speedrrracer Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the reply, yocan.

So am I reading you correctly -- you're saying the 300 BLK has less recoil than a standard (cheap) 556? That seems amazing for a round that also features better killing potential.

10. chameleon

chameleon Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Looks sweet man! I definitely plan on building something similar at some point. I'm thinking of doing .300 whisper with a 10.5" barrel and titanium suppressor. It's going to be quite a while though so kudos to you!

11. rsilvers

rsilvers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It has more recoil than 223. More power is more recoil.

12. yocan

yocan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    no *head hits table* less then every other battle caliber for the ar platform thats bigger than 556. less then 6.5, 6.8 spc, 7.62 by 39 or 51

whats with people today and trying to be annoying?

though we could get into debate on odds of lethality of a standard 556 fmj vs a standard fmj .45acp that would be as much fun as your post.

13. GG Asian

GG Asian Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nice rifle! I'm slowly building my 300blk pistol.
    I'm also looking at putting a ALG trigger in once it comes out. Are you planning on suppressing you rifle?

Oh and the gun store guy that said BCM Gunfighter was junk has no idea what he's talking about. It's solid and much easier to manipulate than a stock charging handle. It's a great upgrade.

14. iCreek

iCreek Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Congrats, those seem to be the hot caliber for AR builds today.

15. BigDinTexas

BigDinTexas Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I absolutely plan on suppressing her... I just have to save up the scratch. I think that optics will be first in line though... I just ordered up a case of 220gr subsonic from Southwest Ammo... Can't wait to get it in and atleast start blasting a few down the range.

I think you guys have reassured me regarding the BCM Gunfighter... I may have to get in touch with the owner of the LGS as he and I developed a good business relationship when I first moved to Temple a couple years ago. I hope that as a business owner, he will want to know how his employees represent his company.

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Don

16. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You won't regret the BCM...mate it to a BAD lever and it makes for a super fast, much easier to use combo for not only bolt hold back or release but for chamber clearing in general...after having the two, I don't know what I did without them.

To the guy asking about the 300 BLK, it's a heavy round with low kick that fits into a standard AR magazine...what's not to love? I love the .223/.556 but I've always had "heavy round envy" concerning the 7.62x39. The problem however With that round is the lackluster quality of the ammo available as well as the surging price of a quality AK. This new round covers many problems all at once. I can have a .308 bullet without the large .308 case or the weight associated with an AR10. I can't suppress here in Illinois but I can still get the benefits from a heavier round. I'm going to wait a bit but I'll probably have one built come this time next year.