AR15 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I took my Ar to the range for the second time and was having a hard time zeroing in.. and a hard time shooting in general. Instead of wasting ammo and building poor habits I'd like to learn how to shoot!

Could someone point me in the right direction as far as shooting technique goes? Standing and sitting at a bench and what a proper sight picture looks like.. which aperture to use.

One of the main problems I seem to be having is when at 50 yards the front sight is just as wide as the target (maybe I need a bigger target mine is about 8 inches)... when using the small aperture I can barely see the target (while focusing on the front sight)? What kind of targets do you guys use?

Links, tips, pics and info would be appreciated :D

Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
try using the Stanard Appature the front sight post tabs should be centered with in the rear sight put your sight post on the just under the target, its hard by try looking past the front sight post and try looking at the target, if its covering it you should be fairly on target,

the next thing to consider is breating make a habit out taking a couple of deep breaths and when you are ready to shoot take another and hold it then squeeze the trigger only using the Pad of your finger do not hook your whole finger around the trigger,

if you squeeze the trigger when it breaks and the gun goes off it should actually suprise you

while zeroing in your weapon try shooting a couple of groups using the exact same sight picture do not worry about where the rounds are hitting, once you have established a consisent group adjust your sights up or down and left or right to get you on target

If you are hitting high lower your sights if you are hitting low raise them, like wise if you are hitting to the right move them left and if you are hitting left move them right i know it seems backwards but this is how i was trained to do it in the Army,

Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
try using the Stanard Appature the front sight post tabs should be centered with in the rear sight put your sight post on the just under the target, its hard by try looking past the front sight post and try looking at the target, if its covering it you should be fairly on target,

the next thing to consider is breating make a habit out taking a couple of deep breaths and when you are ready to shoot take another and hold it then squeeze the trigger only using the Pad of your finger do not hook your whole finger around the trigger,

if you squeeze the trigger when it breaks and the gun goes off it should actually suprise you

while zeroing in your weapon try shooting a couple of groups using the exact same sight picture do not worry about where the rounds are hitting, once you have established a consisent group adjust your sights up or down and left or right to get you on target

If you are hitting high lower your sights if you are hitting low raise them, like wise if you are hitting to the right move them left and if you are hitting left move them right i know it seems backwards but this is how i was trained to do it in the Army,

Good luck

Spoken like a true grunt! I have alot active duty and non active duty friends. he is right. but also place ur hand that is not on the trigger on the front of the rail or guard, but not on the barrel just keep them as far apart as u can will help steadness. but first use a rest to zero and also to learn how to control ur breathing, just look through ur sights and watch ur breathing on how it affects your sight pict. tell you something else get a buddy to put in a dummy round in your mag with out you knowing where it is and watch for flinching or trigger jerk.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Question: Are you resting the rifle on it's magazine when sitting at the bench?
no, the rifle is off the bench with both elbows supporting. I guess I should ask for a rest next time.

Thanks for all the info TJ. So the tip of the front sight should be centered in the ring and the actual target / point of impact should be above that in the upper portion of the ring? Is the standard aperture the small one?

Also, when standing how far from the rear sight should my eye be? when sitting should my nose br right by the charging handle?

Thanks again guys for helping me out.

I looked online but only found videos you have to buy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info TJ. So the tip of the front sight should be centered in the ring and the actual target / point of impact should be above that in the upper portion of the ring? Is the standard aperture the small one?

Also, when standing how far from the rear sight should my eye be? when sitting should my nose br right by the charging handle?
regardless of weather or not you are standing or sitting your sight picture should always be the same in basic training we were instructed that the best way to get the exact same sight picture was to actually touch our nose to the Charging handle then just barely take it off.

the standard appature is the small one. the big one is for CQB and it should sit either right on the bottom of your target or just under it.

when zeroing it in the first step is to group once you can get consistent groups you will know exactly how you need to move your sights.

edit we also zeroed using a Prone supported position probably not the most convenient position for most ranges. i would zero it from a sitting position using sandbags

1 - 7 of 7 Posts